DIY Cable Gallery!!
Apr 3, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #8,971 of 16,305

Quote:
Markertek was the site I got that all from - and the blue is the stock blue color cable they sell.  I'm very happy with the flexibility, it pretty much lays flat but bends easily while wearing it.  Only complaint is that I didn't wrap from the Y up, so there is a ton of microphonics when touching the cable or turning your head....considering fixing that someday, but not now :)

Markertek won't ship internationally if the order is under $100...

I have an american address through a package-forwarding company, but they are renegotiating the shipping costs so the calculator is down, so I could do that (unless it ends up being way too expensive). 

By "wrap up" you mean add some sort of sleeve around the wires? That won't be an issue for me anyway, as I'm not going for a Y-split. 

Apr 3, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #8,973 of 16,305

Quote:
Markertek won't ship internationally if the order is under $100...

I have an american address through a package-forwarding company, but they are renegotiating the shipping costs so the calculator is down, so I could do that (unless it ends up being way too expensive). 

By "wrap up" you mean add some sort of sleeve around the wires? That won't be an issue for me anyway, as I'm not going for a Y-split. 

i could possibly ship you some canare, just pay postage and cost:) i have black standard starquad and blue mini starquad:)

Apr 3, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #8,974 of 16,305
hdufour, I like that you left the sheathing and insulation intact on the lower section. I'm considering doing likewise. Did you solder the end of the woven-metal sheathing to the ground post in the TSR connector? And what would you use to to wrap the double-stranded section above the Y? 

If anybody besides hdufour cares to weigh-in, please do. 

Quote:
Markertek was the site I got that all from - and the blue is the stock blue color cable they sell.  I'm very happy with the flexibility, it pretty much lays flat but bends easily while wearing it.  Only complaint is that I didn't wrap from the Y up, so there is a ton of microphonics when touching the cable or turning your head....considering fixing that someday, but not now :)

Apr 4, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #8,975 of 16,305

Quote:
Did a re-cable of my ER-4P's. first time re-cabling IEM, fifth time overall. and some my other works :) (been learning so much from you guys its awesome!)​
I have since replaced the "TechFlex"(flexopet) with Nylon Multi on the 770's. yields much classier look and much less microphonics
dt880smile.png
PortaPro's for my gf.​
Mini-Mini IC's for friends​

Sweet!

Apr 4, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #8,976 of 16,305

Quote:
^Is that really your first LOD? Very good.

Thanks! I've repaired IEM's for friends and recabled one IEM as well, the experience from this was quite helpful.

Quote:
Hey, where did you pick up that Dock? I really wanted to find small ipod breakout connector

I picked it up from here:
http://oyaide.com/catalog/products/p-4812.html

If you're not in a rush to pickup a connector I can pick one up for you next time I'm at Akihabara.

Apr 4, 2012 at 4:47 AM Post #8,977 of 16,305
Thanks. This is just an amber bead from fleabay that I drilled out to a larger sized hole. I will be using it with my long suffering TF10, but its getting westone pins in case I go custom...

Quote:
I like it!  My cables don't wear jewelry!  Where can I pimp my cables?  What is this cable for?  If it's for a TF10... I can evaluate it for you!
biggrin.gif

Thank you. I think it depends on the wire your using really. I had more of an issue when I tried doing the same with Mogami. The amber does stand out, but silver and amber are a bit of a classic combination.

Quote:
Good job on the twisted pairs leading from the y-split.  I can never get an equally spaced twist like that.  I think the amber stands out a little, which may or may be your desired goal. 

Ill let you know in time! My DHC cable I made has been ok so far, but I suppose time will tell on that one.

Quote:
How do you keep the two pairs leading up to each driver from the y-split to not untwist themselves over time?

Apr 4, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #8,978 of 16,305

Quote:

Im not 100% on the amber Y splitter. Any constructive opinoins?

I feel like the amber would be a better pairing in a themed cable... eg. with clear/copper wire (rather than spc), and brass/black/gold connectors. As it is, its a bit like wearing a silver belt buckle, but gold cufflinks and tie-bar. Just seems a bit off. Amber in a silver fitting does work tho, so maybe it's just me. 

Apr 4, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #8,979 of 16,305
Apr 4, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #8,980 of 16,305

Quote:
I feel like the amber would be a better pairing in a themed cable... eg. with clear/copper wire (rather than spc), and brass/black/gold connectors. As it is, its a bit like wearing a silver belt buckle, but gold cufflinks and tie-bar. Just seems a bit off. Amber in a silver fitting does work tho, so maybe it's just me. 

That's kind of what I thought. The bead itself is not a bad idea, but it's a warm color with the cold look if the silver wire. Maybe a pearl-ish bead would work better. I would add it's a great job, but if I say that with everything cogs posts, I'll be a Headphoneus Supremus in no time.

Apr 4, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #8,981 of 16,305

Quote:

I suppose so. My thought was that there is going to be no colour on this cable, the connector bodies will be white, so a little bit of flair, or bling if you like, might liven it up a bit. Im going to stare at it for a while I think. The black bead in the other pics I posted is made of midnight goldstone, which has a nice sparkle to it - and silver fittings. Only problem is that the hole in it is too large, but it could be modified.  

Oh and its 7n silver not SPC....

Quote:

That's kind of what I thought. The bead itself is not a bad idea, but it's a warm color with the cold look if the silver wire. Maybe a pearl-ish bead would work better. I would add it's a great job, but if I say that with everything cogs posts, I'll be a Headphoneus Supremus in no time.

Thanks dude. Its coming together.

Apr 4, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #8,982 of 16,305

Quote:
Oh and its 7n silver not SPC....

Ok. Same color. *shrug*

What about using hematite or something gunmetal-ish. Tho with white connectors, rather than silver, the midnight goldstone could be nice.

Apr 4, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #8,983 of 16,305
I opened a Discussion about "soldering irons" that we use... but it's not getting much info.  Anyway, Cogs... what soldering gun are you using?  Trying to replace my barely (read.. non-functioning) Radio Shack one for a better one.  I've looked at this one here, also by Radio Shack.  Any other suggestions that you guys use that works well?

Apr 4, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #8,984 of 16,305

Quote:
I opened a Discussion about "soldering irons" that we use... but it's not getting much info.  Anyway, Cogs... what soldering gun are you using?  Trying to replace my barely (read.. non-functioning) Radio Shack one for a better one.  I've looked at this one here, also by Radio Shack.  Any other suggestions that you guys use that works well?

There's your problem. 
wink.gif

But what do I know, I've only ever used a Hakko 936.

Apr 4, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #8,985 of 16,305

Quote:

I use a 30w Silverline soldering iron that I got from ebay for around £5.50 / £6.00. Nothing special, but it gets the job done fine so far. I did borrow one of those trigger type ones that heats up when you push the button, but couldnt get on with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back