DIY Cable Gallery!!
Mar 16, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #8,731 of 16,305

Quote:
So you are reducing the signal to the amp by 30 ohm? Not the direct signal to the headphone? I'm not sure that benefits you the same way running the resistors in series with the headphone does... 

It depends on what you need.
With putting the resistor there he has managed to reduce the amplifiers voltage output without increasing the amplifiers output impedance.
It is well known that the PPA's gain is rather excessive, especially for use with IEMs, at the same time it is well known that a high output impedance will give all sorts of troubles driving a low Z driver. 

I've done something rather similar myself. I made a simple L-pad to prevent my ZO2 from clipping when being fed from a high output source.

Mar 16, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #8,732 of 16,305
Agreed, which is what putting the resistors in series with the headphone usually fixes (effectively adding Z to the drivers, to counter a higher output impedance).  

But I can see benefit to this as well. Just not the *usual* solution to the problem. :) Cheers!

Mar 16, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #8,734 of 16,305
If I grab 20' of the Silver from the same vendor... it'll cost me $163.20 US.... WOW!  Hmmm, maybe just a few feet then... 20' might be excessive.

Quote:
Im about to pull the trigger on 16 ft of silver ( after pay day ) to make an IEM cable... its really that good. Not to try and drain your wallet, but you should get a foot or so to make a LOD up just to seen how it is.

I am under the impression that Heir use the westone style connectors for their CIEM's, which can be gotten from this seller:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-Replacement-Cable-Westone-UM3-DIY-Plug-/220975710073?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item33732dbf79

Mar 16, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #8,735 of 16,305

Quote:
Agreed, which is what putting the resistors in series with the headphone usually fixes (effectively adding Z to the drivers, to counter a higher output impedance).  

No, the drivers impedance stays the same, but the amplifiers output impedance is increased. This is usually a bad thing as it decreases the damping factor.

Mar 16, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #8,736 of 16,305

Quote:
So you are reducing the signal to the amp by 30 ohm? Not the direct signal to the headphone? I'm not sure that benefits you the same way running the resistors in series with the headphone does... 

I plan to purchase a female to female stereo adapter so I can use it on other devices too, but I also want to check out if there's a big difference in the sound by putting it before and after the amp. At the moment I'm extremely happy with the high treble reduction and havn't noticed any negative effect. Perhaps there is a little more 'warmth' but I'm still listening :) I havn't noticed any reduction in volume, but the harshness of the amp has certainly been reduced nicely which is good as my headphones are all kinda 'harsh'.

Mar 16, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #8,737 of 16,305
i have another question.

i bought a pair of mcx connectors. to make my iem like the shure's, detachable cable. Before trying it to my expensive iem's I tryed it to a cheap earphone, but its not working.
do i have to solder only one cable to the connector or both the cable together? 
btw i cut the cable in have before the y spit, so near the earphone.

Mar 16, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #8,738 of 16,305

Quote:
No, the drivers impedance stays the same, but the amplifiers output impedance is increased. This is usually a bad thing as it decreases the damping factor.

Thanks for the correction, Limpidglitch - I've heard this type of impedance adapter described a few different ways, and electronic circuits have never been my strong suit (acoustic behavior, on the other hand, I have a decent handle on). :) Cheers.

Mar 16, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #8,739 of 16,305

Quote:
I'm surprised a foot of silver can actually have an audible difference, but I can't comment until I try it. Can you post pics of your LOD cogsandgears?

Hi dude, I took some slightly better photos of the LOD, so here they are:

Mar 16, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #8,740 of 16,305

Quote:
If I grab 20' of the Silver from the same vendor... it'll cost me $163.20 US.... WOW!  Hmmm, maybe just a few feet then... 20' might be excessive.

Yeah but if your going to drop $450 dollars on a pair of CIEM's are you going to feed them all that audio goodness with a $30 cable?  Get a foot and make a LOD and hear the difference. It has been the best upgrade for the least money I have ever made. It ended up costing me about the same in materials as 3 pairs of comply foams and im pretty sure its going to last me a lot longer...

Mar 16, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #8,741 of 16,305

Quote:

Yeah but if your going to drop $450 dollars on a pair of CIEM's are you going to feed them all that audio goodness with a $30 cable?  Get a foot and make a LOD and hear the difference. It has been the best upgrade for the least money I have ever made. It ended up costing me about the same in materials as 3 pairs of comply foams and im pretty sure its going to last me a lot longer...

Your milage may vary of course. This runs entirely contrary to my experience. But it's your dosh. :)

Mar 16, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #8,742 of 16,305

Quote:

Your milage may vary of course. This runs entirely contrary to my experience. But it's your dosh. :)

Do you mean the LOD outlasting the comply's? I hope it does... Or the silver cable being a good upgrade?

Mar 16, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #8,743 of 16,305
Silver cable affecting the sound quality at all. Not starting a debate, just a buyer beware. I think there are better places to spend the money that actually affect the SQ. 

Mar 16, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #8,744 of 16,305
Finished my Toxic Cables Copper DIY Denon Recable:

Mar 16, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #8,745 of 16,305

Quote:
Silver cable affecting the sound quality at all. Not starting a debate, just a buyer beware. I think there are better places to spend the money that actually affect the SQ. 

Fair enough. To each their own I suppose. I like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back