DIY Cable Gallery!!
Dec 27, 2011 at 4:08 AM Post #8,147 of 16,312

Quote:
Not sure what you are referring to, but the wire is anything you want. I chose a 26 awg silver. the sleeving is cotton chord/shoelace which you can get on eBay at $10/200ft. 

redface.gif
Oh, I thought we were referring to a specific company's wire like the cotton sleeving... with the 'sounds great' references....   I really like nylon multifilament for wrapping my wire in. It looks really clean like that too

Dec 27, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #8,149 of 16,312
Not very flashy, but very functional - the two cables I made for my Pro 900 (now for sale)

Cable 1: Quables threaded 3.5mm -> 1 metre of Mogami 2893 sleeved with Techflex Noise Reduction -> Rean (Neutrik) 3.5mm
Cable 2: Quables threaded 3.5mm -> 2 metres of Mogami 2893 sleeved with Techflex Noise Reduction -> Neutrik 6.3mm

Dec 27, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #8,150 of 16,312

Quote:

I highly doubt that anyone would have the exact same cable with the same termination but different plugs.
I'm not an expert but i cant see how the different plating on a small plug can change sq.

Correct. There is no reason it would change the sound unless the plating was damaged or corroded and not making a good connection.

Dec 27, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #8,151 of 16,312

Quote:
Here is my latest effort.
A "shorty" 3.5mm pailiccs to mini 4 pin xlr (3ft) for portable use with my magnums and LCD-2.
26awg silver from navships inside brown shoelace. 

Love that brown shoelace sleeving. Looks like the cloth covered wire that was used in vintage electronics in the 50s and 60s.

Dec 27, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #8,152 of 16,312
This looks awesome dudes. Where should one start with tips for diying cables? Where to buy equipment etc. regards

Dec 28, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #8,153 of 16,312
Try here.
Also try searching for relevant videos on youtube.

Dec 28, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #8,154 of 16,312

Quote:
This looks awesome dudes. Where should one start with tips for diying cables? Where to buy equipment etc. regards

youtube is definitely a very helpful learning tool, and generally speaking, just googleing will return more results than you could ever want. 

One of the most important things to learn, in my opinion anyway is how to solder properly.  Google how to solder, and read up... Almost anyone giving instructions will tell you the same stuff. 

If you are in the U.S. these four sites will have just about anything you could ever need for cable making.. other than these, there are heaps of more botique style sites that sell various sleeving, tubing,  wires, connectors, and whatnot..   ebay is also a great resource, as is this thread... heck if you read through this thread you'd find more links to parts than you could ever search through.

when i started making cables, i literally had nothing i needed, and i think i got almost everything i needed from partsexpress, with a few misc items from the other sites. 

www.markertek.com
www.Partsexpress.com
www.redco.com
www.Mouser.com

Dec 28, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #8,156 of 16,312
You can get some great deals on fleabay, too.

Dec 28, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #8,157 of 16,312
One tip is: don't get bogged down reading through tons of threads, for your first few cables figure out what you want to make, search out the parts you need, try to buy them from the same place to save on shipping (this can add up), and then search 1 or 2 DIY vids on Youtube to see someone making it look easy.
Best soldering tip I got was to prep your solder joints and cables with flux and solder before trying to attach cables.

Quote:
Thanks, will check those out. I have the soldering iron, but that's about it! 

Dec 29, 2011 at 5:07 AM Post #8,158 of 16,312

DHC Necleotide TF10 cable.

22 awg Jena Labs Copper / Mundorf Gold Low Profile LOD with micro USB Charge socket.

Sorry to re post the same poor quality pictures I submitted earlier, but they were deleted last time due to issues, so here they are again!

Dec 29, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #8,159 of 16,312
Quote:

DHC Necleotide TF10 cable.

22 awg Jena Labs Copper / Mundorf Gold Low Profile LOD with micro USB Charge socket.

Sorry to re post the same poor quality pictures I submitted earlier, but they were deleted last time due to issues, so here they are again!

Very nice! How do you like it?

Dec 29, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #8,160 of 16,312

Quote:
Very nice! How do you like it?

The LOD or the TF 10 cable?

Both are good!

The TF 10 cable - I was not too inpressed with the SQ at first - sounded a  little flat, but after about 10 hours it really started to open up and sounds great now. The LOD is great, really usefull being able to charge and listen at the same time. Especially if your trying to burn in caps in a DIYmod, and your running Rockbox... 

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back