DIY Cable Gallery!!
Dec 18, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #8,071 of 16,305
E-6000 would work to - but hot glue has the benefit of being easy to undo and rework later. 

Dec 18, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #8,073 of 16,305
Hello, I finally got my xears recabled but I don't know what kind of glue to use for the housing...I'm currently using packing tape to hold em together lol. can anyone recommend a kind of glue for putting iem housings together? thanks!

the 25' 28awg cables are perfect btw thank you guys!! (took me like 8 hours to put everything together; I didn't even know it would work but it did! - first time I soldered and repaired a pair of phones lol)

Super glue?

Dec 19, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #8,077 of 16,305
Beautiful kumihimo braid there! Been meaning to do that soon.

Here's my contributions!

"The person Child" - Bi-coloured 24AWG Nucleotide UP-OCC copper terminated with Livewires MCX connectors and a Oyaide Gold-plated 3.5mm right angled plug.
These were for a friend and he's a singer so he wanted something flashy for stage.

"Fair Maiden" - 24AWG Nucleotide UP-OCC copper terminated with universal pins and Oyaide Gold-plated 3.5mm right angled plug. (in picture with Heir Audio 3.A)

"Black Beauty" - 24AWG Nucleotide UP-OCC copper terminated with universal pins and Hirose balanced plug.

Fair Maiden and Black Beauty are going to follow me everywhere!

Here's a link to my review of the Heir Audio 3.A which I'll be updating in a couple days with any noticeable changes in sound resulting from these 2 cables. My other balanced cable is a 5N Silver cable.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/584297/heir-audio-3-a-review-of-the-woody-custom

Dec 19, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #8,078 of 16,305
While that braided cable is gorgeous to look at, how manageable is it? How is the flexibility/weight?

Dec 19, 2011 at 3:13 AM Post #8,079 of 16,305

Quote:
Beautiful kumihimo braid there! Been meaning to do that soon.

Here's my contributions!

"The person Child" - Bi-coloured 24AWG Nucleotide UP-OCC copper terminated with Livewires MCX connectors and a Oyaide Gold-plated 3.5mm right angled plug.
These were for a friend and he's a singer so he wanted something flashy for stage.

"Fair Maiden" - 24AWG Nucleotide UP-OCC copper terminated with universal pins and Oyaide Gold-plated 3.5mm right angled plug. (in picture with Heir Audio 3.A)

"Black Beauty" - 24AWG Nucleotide UP-OCC copper terminated with universal pins and Hirose balanced plug.

Fair Maiden and Black Beauty are going to follow me everywhere!

Here's a link to my review of the Heir Audio 3.A which I'll be updating in a couple days with any noticeable changes in sound resulting from these 2 cables. My other balanced cable is a 5N Silver cable.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/584297/heir-audio-3-a-review-of-the-woody-custom

Great work on those cables! Is that a flesh tunnel for the chin cinch on the first cable? I intended on doing that but didnt have one with a small enough centre hole :C

How do you find the DHC cable to work with? I thought it was really nice stuff. It does sound sort of bright though - as other people have noted.

Dec 19, 2011 at 3:24 AM Post #8,080 of 16,305

Quote:

That is a beautiful braid, looks like you got it really tight too. Lovely work. What cables did you use? Looks like copper and silver.

I wanted to do a copper / silver hybrid cable, but couldnt find good stranded silver anywhere...

Dec 19, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #8,081 of 16,305
Yup that's exactly right.. It's a steel flesh tunnel with rhinestones. Stores here call them ear hole expanders.. Less cool name. I think that was a 6mm piece. It's a tight fit though. 7mm would be perfect.

I do not find the dhc wire bright at all. I think mids are more articulate and there's a natural warmness to the bass. I would say its a very natural sounding cable. 

When I get home I'll compare it to the silver cable, and post my findings in my review thread.

Dec 19, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #8,083 of 16,305

Quote:
That is a beautiful braid, looks like you got it really tight too. Lovely work. What cables did you use? Looks like copper and silver.

I wanted to do a copper / silver hybrid cable, but couldnt find good stranded silver anywhere...

Thanks! It is 22 AWG copper wire 
To keep the braid consistent and tight I hung a small weight from the cable going through the center of the disk. 

Quote:
While that braided cable is gorgeous to look at, how manageable is it? How is the flexibility/weight?

Thanks! I am actually pleasantly surprised as to the cables weight and flexibility. Its 10ft long and I used about 16ft per strand X 8 strands is about 128ft total. Considering the weight of the LCD-2's the cable is negligible, most of the cable is on the floor anyways. Its not as flexible as the original cable is, but its not annoying to me or anything. And considering how much better it looks I can live with it!

Dec 19, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #8,084 of 16,305
For those that don't like SPC what kind of wire do you recommend?

I pulled the trigger on SPC wire from Navships on eBay after many raved about them on here, wondering if that was a bad decision.

Dec 19, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #8,085 of 16,305
Well I tried some SPC I bought in a local parts shop.

Here it is.. its been posted here before.

I did compare it with my silver cable and it was just crazy different. The bass was bloated and the highs were very bright.

The tones were just not right. Like how a guitar should sound on a particular track, sounded very off on these SPCs. After that I cannibalized the parts and left the braided cable at the bottom of my box.

I actually felt the Canares star quads sounded better by comparison and for a helluva lot cheaper too.

Heck it might be that particular SPC cable I got which wasn't up to scratch. I did ask other friends who worked with SPC wires too and they felt the same. So it gave me a confirmation of sorts on what I found.

Matt you pulled the trigger on them so might as well give them a shot and check back here with your impressions.

No arguments from me either, started this cable making thing to find out what all the hoolabaloo was about. I feel like I'm getting close to finding out what I really like..

How do you guys ABX anyways? What I do is listen to a track with one cable, quickly swap it out and listen to the same track with the same volume.

Oh and John, that review you read was between Pure 5N silver and UP-OCC copper where I found the copper to be more preferable. I've been using the customs with the silver cable for a couple weeks now, just doesn't sound natural like the copper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back