DIY Cable Gallery!!
Nov 21, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #7,908 of 16,310

Quote:

ahh ok, i knew it went down to 1/8, but hadnt seen 3/32 before, hard to imagine what wire you could put in that given the 1/8 only fits a twisted pair of 24awg TWCu. and re the neutrik, i agree its a stupid size opening, but thats what we have dremels for =)

furryletters is a great shop for sure

Nov 21, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #7,909 of 16,310
anyone able to heatshrink their neutriks? I wanted to completely coverthe jack in heatshrink and have it also be a strain relief, but I'm not sure 3/8 at 3:1 will work.

Also, any suggestions as to what dremel to buy and where from?

Nov 21, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #7,910 of 16,310
Anyone have a problem with right-angled plugs? I recabled my Grados with a neutrik right-angle, and the issue is that it has spoiled the jacks in two of my amps so far because the rotation of the plugs exerts strain on the jacks..

Nov 21, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #7,911 of 16,310

Quote:
anyone able to heatshrink their neutriks? I wanted to completely coverthe jack in heatshrink and have it also be a strain relief, but I'm not sure 3/8 at 3:1 will work.

Also, any suggestions as to what dremel to buy and where from?

I have 12mm 3:1 shrink tube (.47 inch), and that does NOT fit over my Neutrik NP2XB 1/4" plugs. But it is more than sufficient to fit over the Rean 1/8th (Neutrik NYS231BG) plugs and inline jacks. And still shrinks down enough to be tight over Mogami 2893. 

Nov 21, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #7,912 of 16,310

Quote:
Anyone have a problem with right-angled plugs? I recabled my Grados with a neutrik right-angle, and the issue is that it has spoiled the jacks in two of my amps so far because the rotation of the plugs exerts strain on the jacks..

No. This is one of many reasons I tend to prefer straight connectors. You should be able to replace the jacks though. 

Nov 21, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #7,913 of 16,310
More like he should have used a Switchcraft (straight or angled) since it would better distribute its weight between the jack and the amplifier's casing, assuming that the jacks are level with rest of the front plate. 

Nov 21, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #7,914 of 16,310

Quote:
More like he should have used a Switchcraft (straight or angled) since it would better distribute its weight between the jack and the amplifier's casing, assuming that the jacks are level with rest of the front plate. 

Mmm that seems like a viable option. Too bad it is so much easier to obtain neutriks than it is switchcrafts in my little island home..

Nov 22, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #7,916 of 16,310

Quote:
No. This is one of many reasons I tend to prefer straight connectors. You should be able to replace the jacks though. 

huh? normally right angles are LESS brutal on jacks than straight, not more. neutrik isnt quite as good as switchcraft or oyaide in this way due to the conical end to the barrel (shared by the straight version) rather than the other 2 which sit flush. unless you are then pulling your cable out at a straight angle, using the leverage in the wrong way, it should be better than straight. if for home use though, straight jacks are better (other than neutrik because of the same conical end) where your cable comes out perpendicular to the panel 

Nov 22, 2011 at 2:45 AM Post #7,917 of 16,310
Nov 22, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #7,918 of 16,310

Quote:

huh? normally right angles are LESS brutal on jacks than straight, not more. neutrik isnt quite as good as switchcraft or oyaide in this way due to the conical end to the barrel (shared by the straight version) rather than the other 2 which sit flush. unless you are then pulling your cable out at a straight angle, using the leverage in the wrong way, it should be better than straight. if for home use though, straight jacks are better (other than neutrik because of the same conical end) where your cable comes out perpendicular to the panel 

It wasn't clear to me where he was using it - but all my portable amps have perpendicular to panel jacks as well - straight connectors keep things nice and tidy. Only the Headroom bithead/airhead with it's angled corner placed jacks makes sense to me for RA connectors. I also usually end up with a 1/8th ->1/4 adaptor cord in there too (Grado/Cardas/Custom) - so that probably takes some of the strain off. 

I agree the angled faces of the Neutrik 1/8th plugs don't make much sense to me. Their fullsize connectors/jacks are so well thought out - it's a puzzlement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back