DIY Cable Gallery!!
Nov 22, 2011 at 5:24 AM Post #7,921 of 16,312
As far as I know, only Cardas makes them. You can get them a few places - I like Parts Connexion: http://www.partsconnexion.com/CARDAS-71677.html

Nov 22, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #7,922 of 16,312
^ yes the cardas senn plug is the only one, sadly because its priced at >20 bucks and its feels like a plastic cheapo plug.

following the same subject, anyone tried this other senn plug? I bought a pair of his TF10 plug and its OK. he also offers the shell and the Y split shell as well. but the TF10 is only 5 bucks, 7 with shells and the senn is $15...

Nov 22, 2011 at 9:36 AM Post #7,923 of 16,312
nope and i'm unlikely to, this whole business of leaving the pins exposed and you having to use glue reinforced heatshrink for strain relief is a bit of a weak point imo. i might check out his splitter though

one thing..Furutech? is he implying the connectors are made by Furutech? because for sure nothing else on the cables is

Nov 22, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #7,924 of 16,312
^ Im lost, where did you read furutech?

and he does have the shells for the pins, is like this one, for some reason you have to PM him asking him to make a new auction with the whole set. I guess we still need epoxy or superglue to hold them together, have a set of TF10 plugs at home, will get it this week.

Nov 22, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #7,925 of 16,312

Quote:
^ Im lost, where did you read furutech?

and he does have the shells for the pins, is like this one, for some reason you have to PM him asking him to make a new auction with the whole set. I guess we still need epoxy or superglue to hold them together, have a set of TF10 plugs at home, will get it this week.

check the rest of his auctions by looking at 'other items by this seller', hes got a number of finished IEM cables that he calls Furutech or at least mentions it, because its unclear exactly what hes saying is futrutech as the wire, mini etc he mentions as other details but in the item title he puts Furutech; as far as i can see there is zilch to do with Furu and hes maybe just leveraging sales using their Brand name

this is apparently a Furutech Ultimate Ears upgrade cable 
confused_face(1).gif

maybe hes got some affiliation? if it was branded i'm sure we would have heard about it in some sort of announcement.

dont get me wrong i think its cool this option is available, but it would be cooler if someone from HongKong ebay broke the mould; if you know what i mean.

Nov 22, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #7,926 of 16,312
Yes I see now, it does seems weird. "1.2M Long, Soft Cable, 2 x Furutech with silver plated hi-end audio cable (White). 3.5mm Palic Gold-Plated plug" for this I understand the 2 x refers to the iem plugs(?) ... fishy. he does sells plugs for cheap though

Nov 22, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #7,927 of 16,312
The Cardas HPSC plugs are $13 plus shipping at Partsconnexion. Slightly more than $13 incl. shipping but this way you don't have to make your own strain relief. Considering the ebay seller is going to have to raise his price for plugs with jackets, he doesn't look competitive. I'd like to see more options too, but this doesn't look like the one.

Nov 22, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #7,928 of 16,312
yep thats what it seems to be saying, but it says that about the UE, Westone, shure terminated plugs, but the connectors by themselves dont mention it 
blink.gif

I cant see furutech doing this without making some sort of announcement here; plus they would probably cost more than the entire cable does not <$5 each. they'd also be cryoed, polished, damped and rhodium plated to within an inch of their life; or some sort of tweak =) 

yes quite a decent price and handy, so probably shouldnt make a big deal 
tongue.gif

Nov 23, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #7,929 of 16,312
Hi There,

Quick question for those using paracord for sleeving. How do you usually sleeve Mogami 2893? I have some 550 paracord with a colour that I really like but can't get it over the outer jacket of the 2893. Does it typically have to be stripped, litz braided then sleeved? If so, any tips for an easy way to strip the 2893?

Or, am I better off just going techflex?

Thanks,

-G

Nov 23, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #7,930 of 16,312
I had exactly the same problem tonight. I took off the outer sleeve and unwound the copper screen and it fits with the paper wrap and cotton. It's either do this or use 3/16 multifilament. I have some of this on order so hope it works without having to do this again.

Nov 23, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #7,931 of 16,312

Quote:
Hi There,

Quick question for those using paracord for sleeving. How do you usually sleeve Mogami 2893? I have some 550 paracord with a colour that I really like but can't get it over the outer jacket of the 2893. Does it typically have to be stripped, litz braided then sleeved? If so, any tips for an easy way to strip the 2893?

Or, am I better off just going techflex?

Thanks,

-G

slice the mogami with a cutter, all the way from a side. then remove the rubber. there are 3 more layers: copper > paper > cotton strings(?) then you have 4 wires each in its own color of rubber cover. you could leave some layers if it fits, extra insulation never hurts.

I just got 6 different colors of paracord, the red/black caught my eye, looks perfect for some badass IEM/Portable recable.

Nov 24, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #7,932 of 16,312
Thanks for the input guys. I only have a few feet of 2893 that I want to save for another project so I started with some Belden 1172A I had kicking around. It is great cable but Belden uses a proprietary "French Braid" shielding under the jacket that is an absolute NIGHTMARE to strip without affecting the wires underneath. It is woven instead of wrapped so you can't just pull it off (might be hard to see in the photo). 

After a bit of steady-hand snipping I had it stripped down enough to fit in the paracord. I just wanted to make an 8 foot extension (start off easy right?) so nothing too tricky.

I temporarily threw on some cheapie connectors that I had kicking around. I have a set of Switchcrafts in the mail so those will be replacing the current ones pretty soon.

Thanks again for all the help. I am sure you will hear from me again soon on here.

Nov 24, 2011 at 3:53 AM Post #7,934 of 16,312

Quote:
^ yes the cardas senn plug is the only one, sadly because its priced at >20 bucks and its feels like a plastic cheapo plug.

following the same subject, anyone tried this other senn plug? I bought a pair of his TF10 plug and its OK. he also offers the shell and the Y split shell as well. but the TF10 is only 5 bucks, 7 with shells and the senn is $15...

I would say those plugs are overpriced. His Pailiccs jack for one, would cost no more than 2$ if it were to be bought in hk or china.
I bought some iem plugs from him and they are pretty good, but 5$ is quite steep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back