DIY Cable Gallery!!
Nov 2, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #6,063 of 16,305
Hey there-
longtime lurker, first time poster.
Just curios where most people get their cables, sleeves, plugs, heatshrink, and of course those nice y splitters!

Also, I am going to do a wire job with the Canare L-4E6S, I understand its BAD to twist the cables after a Y split, is this true?
Finally, is there an advantage or disadvantage to using the L-4E6AT over the 4E6S? Its for a pair of headphones....
thanks!

Nov 6, 2010 at 2:05 AM Post #6,064 of 16,305
Here's my first DIY build. Don't laugh too hard :p I have a Viablue splitter arriving in the mail sometime next week and I need to redo the heat shrinking on the connectors. Gonna put in some hot glue while I do it. Anyway enough talk. :p

x10i8m.jpg

Nov 6, 2010 at 5:19 AM Post #6,065 of 16,305
wow nice angel, nothing to laugh about. The splitter might not look as pro as the ViaBlu one but it sure is more practical than the bulky ones. Did you also paint HD650 black? Parts of it?

Nov 6, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #6,067 of 16,305

My first LOD (or any cable).  I've tried a couple more and keep pulling the pins out of the connector, went on a bad luck streak
frown.gif
  I originally had some techflex over the cable but I think I got the order wrong putting it over the cable and it kept sliding around.  I finally ended up cutting it off.  Just received some mogami cable today, so going to give that a try.  Braiding was kind of a pain too lol

Nov 16, 2010 at 9:14 AM Post #6,068 of 16,305

I wanted to listen to it ASAP so the braiding is sloppy, please forgive :p.

Ebay Sonar platinum plated copper power plugs
5ft of three pairs of 12awg "standard speaker wire" from mcmelectronics.com.

This was about the max awg wires it could take. Never tried platinum so I was expecting the sound to be bad, but it is rather surprising placed in front of my power filter. The power filter has three audio components connected to it. Initial impressions is it has authoritatively quick, pure and clear sound across the frequencies, but might seem too bright, and vocals aren't as deep and expressive compared to audio-gd's power cable.

I have another set of these plugs, but I may not want more sense of clarity/brightness.

edit: Here I used the second set and actually took time to braid :), length is over 3 foot long.

Nov 18, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #6,073 of 16,305
What's the best way to make a durable Y-split?  Y-shaped heatshrink or something else? (please post or PM links if you have them, I'll need this for my next cable)

Nov 19, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #6,075 of 16,305

Quote:
What's the best way to make a durable Y-split?  Y-shaped heatshrink or something else? (please post or PM links if you have them, I'll need this for my next cable)

Adhesive lined heat shrink.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back