DIY Cable Gallery!!
Dec 23, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #6,097 of 16,305

Quote:
I just want to say that that cable is absolutely gorgeous, and I'm going to try my best to mimic it when I recable my grados.

Why, thank you!
That's awfully kind, but you wouldn't be mimicking me, but Steve Eddy (q), as mine are basically a replica of his designs.
They will however be some of the most nimble and delicate headphone cables you can imagine.

Dec 23, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #6,098 of 16,305

Quote:
Quote:
I just want to say that that cable is absolutely gorgeous, and I'm going to try my best to mimic it when I recable my grados.

Why, thank you!
That's awfully kind, but you wouldn't be mimicking me, but Steve Eddy (q), as mine are basically a replica of his designs.
They will however be some of the most nimble and delicate headphone cables you can imagine.

I still think I like yours better 
biggrin.gif

If you still have the cable, would you mind measuring the outer diameter of the cotton? I don't have a car, so I am limited to ordering off the internet.

Dec 23, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #6,100 of 16,305

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Why, thank you!

biggrin.gif

If you still have the cable, would you mind measuring the outer diameter of the cotton? I don't have a car, so I am limited to ordering off the internet.

165/46 litz is roughly 22AWG equivalent, so you're looking for a sleeve with an inner diameter of minimum a millimetre, mine were about two, I think.

Quote:
Hey limp,

Where do you get that fine litz wire from??

http://1n34a.com/, but as you can see the page is in a state of conversion.
A quick google search should give you a number of opportunities, but I'm afraid I have no personal experience with any other outlets.

Dec 23, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #6,101 of 16,305

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Why, thank you!

biggrin.gif

165/46 litz is roughly 22AWG equivalent, so you're looking for a sleeve with an inner diameter of minimum a millimetre, mine were about two, I think.

I'm not quite sure what 165/46 litz is (a google search wasn't really helpful, unless you're talking about old radio wire), hopefully a total diameter of 4mm should work. I might have to delay my cable making until after my next couple diy projects.

Dec 24, 2010 at 9:27 AM Post #6,102 of 16,305
A litz(endraht) wire is made up of several separately insulated wires twisted or woven together and often held together by a thin filament (silk or polyester, usually) to form one wire with the collected conductivity of the separate strands, but with greatly reduced skin effect, which can cause a severe high frequency roll-off (talking MHz and above here, which is why it is popular among radio builders for making aerials)

165/46 means it is made up of 165 separate strands of 46AWG wire, all, as mentioned, separately insulated. The higher AWG number, the higher frequency a signal traveling through it can have, without experiencing attenuation, and also, more pertinent for our use, the finer the strands, the softer and nimbler the wire will be.

Dec 25, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #6,103 of 16,305
whats the best place to get some [size=small]Flexo PET? Im going to use that over my braid from my jack to my split that leads to the right and left. [/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back