DIY Cable Gallery!!
Nov 19, 2010 at 4:34 AM Post #6,076 of 16,305

Quote:
Quote:

My first D.I.Y. 3.5mm jack to RCA Interconnect
Nothing spectacular

We have those same plugs here too! But I think they are too cheap to use!

As the post stated, this is my first cable, Why waste lots of $$ if i can't get satisied by the result?
Try, fail, improve.
I really don't care what you think is cheap. This is my cable, my first, and if I like the result. i will improve my skills if I am satisfied with my result.

Nov 19, 2010 at 6:25 AM Post #6,078 of 16,305

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

My first D.I.Y. 3.5mm jack to RCA Interconnect
Nothing spectacular

We have those same plugs here too! But I think they are too cheap to use!

As the post stated, this is my first cable, Why waste lots of $$ if i can't get satisied by the result?
Try, fail, improve.
I really don't care what you think is cheap. This is my cable, my first, and if I like the result. i will improve my skills if I am satisfied with my result.

That's it! You're in the way!

Dec 5, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #6,079 of 16,305

Quote:

My first LOD (or any cable).  I've tried a couple more and keep pulling the pins out of the connector, went on a bad luck streak
frown.gif
  I originally had some techflex over the cable but I think I got the order wrong putting it over the cable and it kept sliding around.  I finally ended up cutting it off.  Just received some mogami cable today, so going to give that a try.  Braiding was kind of a pain too lol

I never use heatshrink for the pins, just bend those 3 outward, then before closing the case apply some hot glue on and they will stay like that forever. The 1st lod I made that way still function well till now (nearly 1 year), even though I never treat it the way it should be (aka heavily abused) :wink:

Dec 21, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #6,083 of 16,305
If its your first recable, don't do it to a new pair of headphones

Dec 22, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #6,085 of 16,305

Emergency recable of my Audio-Technica ATH-ES9Ws -- stepped on the simple, beautiful stock cable and that's all she wrote.  Seemed cheap to me at first, guess I was right.

Cable is Star Quad, terminator's a switchcraft.

Obviously the red cable (the only thing I had on hand) will not stand.  Taking advice and inspiration for:
1) a Y split solution that doesn't look horrible (thinking of carving something out of a block of maple)
2) good cable that's much more flexible and thinner (don't really need the  shielding either)
3) a plug that will play nicer with iPhone cases

Also, is it possible to get cotton weave insulation, such as you'll find on the Porta Pro wires?  I've been throughly impressed by both the look and flexibility of that stuff...over some decent wires with decent plugs, I think I'd have a solution that didn't sacrifice the dignified look of the ATs.

Dec 22, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #6,086 of 16,305
I played around with Canare quad-conductor cables (not Star-Quad, at least I don't believe so) and those are actually acceptably thin and quite flexible. Much more so than the Mogami quad-conductor one anyway in both cases (thing has a Gorram tension string inside).
Also that Y-split is quite good. Use shorter heatshrink maybe.

Dec 22, 2010 at 8:27 AM Post #6,087 of 16,305
Strip the cable of its outer jacket and cover the conductors in 3/16 nylon sleeving (try ebay seller furryletters). The leads to the cups can be sleeved in 1/8 nylon or some heat shrink. As for the y-split use some adhesive lined heat shrink. For a smaller plug you can try the Neutrik one. Switchcraft also has some nice 1/8 plugs but are pretty expensive for what they are imo. You can try the 1/8 plugs from vintage_audio_lab (ebay): http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270514745546&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123#ht_1112wt_905. They are beautiful plugs with a built in strain relief (just use some heat shrink, preferably adhesive lined, so the screws has something to hold onto).

Dec 22, 2010 at 8:44 AM Post #6,088 of 16,305
Canare has star quads with very different thicknesses, some have copper braid shielding, others don't. The ones without braid shielding can have pretty good gauge conductors and be very thin and light, but were designed for permanent installation, not flexibility and durability. Still, a good compromise between braid shielded and unsheathed wires :p but I personally prefer unsheathed wires for headphones.

Dec 22, 2010 at 11:10 AM Post #6,089 of 16,305

Quote:
If its your first recable, don't do it to a new pair of headphones

I have done recabling before so it's not a problem.

Quote:
Yeah... don't.  They're a total pain in the butt to work with and easy to destroy.

Quote:
So anyone have suggestions for recabling my K240's coming in?

Angel, mind explaining why they're a pain to recable? I have the Sextetts (MP or LP). What PITA steps are there in recabling them? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back