DIY Cable Gallery!!
Mar 11, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #5,341 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberspyder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No problem....I tried a lot of configurations before I settled on this one. And yes, a hot glue gun is almost a necessity when DIYing.....lotsa uses and relatively cheap. If need be, also removable without the nasty residue other glues have.

x2 I couldn't live without my hotglue gun. A couple dabs spread thin around the sleeving and onto the body of the cables with heatshrink on top works very well. Double wall adhesive heatshrink when absolute rigidity is necessary. Double wall is also nice as a makeshift connector body or Y split protector.

Mar 11, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #5,342 of 16,309
And now for my latest experiment. I have become obsessed with low profile portable cables, but even more interested in the possibilities of polymer clay and epoxy putty. Here is the second cable in my "Chibi Collection" (Japanese for small person, but with child connotations):

fraggler-albums-diy-cables-picture4942-clay-blue-mini-close.jpg

fraggler-albums-diy-cables-picture4943-clay-blue-mini.jpg

3 x 2" of 26awg Mogami Neglex OFC
Cut down Neutrik mini's
1/8" Carbon Techflex (the color, not actual carbon fiber)
Black polymer clay
Enamel paint and glaze

This little fellah took several hours to finish. I cut down some normal Neutrik minis as short as I could and still have tiny tabs to solder to (bent the ground tab 90 degrees downward as well). I used some black polymer clay (Fimo is a name brand), and molded just enough around the connectors to cover the wires and secure the techflex (this was a huge pain to keep the techflex from fraying and poking out of the clay). Once molded, I baked the whole cable (no cryo treatment here
smily_headphones1.gif
) according to the instructions at 275 F for 15 minutes to harden the connectors. A little sanding to smooth out any irregularities and then time for paint. 2 coats of blue enamel paint (1 hour drying in between) and 2 coats of glossy glaze (1 hour drying in between) and voila! shiny blue custom connectors! I like the clay better than my experiments with epoxy putty because it is less sticky and I have more time to work with it before it starts to harden. It is easier to form smoother shapes as well. That being said, epoxy putty doesn't need to be baked.

It was fun, but the amount of time it takes to finish the cable is a little excessive. I will keep playing with it though.

Let me know your thoughts on this one, particularly if you have used clay or epoxy putty and have tips on how to work with it.

Mar 12, 2010 at 4:46 AM Post #5,343 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by FraGGleR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And now for my latest experiment. I have become obsessed with low profile portable cables, but even more interested in the possibilities of polymer clay and epoxy putty. Here is the second cable in my "Chibi Collection" (Japanese for small person, but with child connotations):

3 x 2" of 26awg Mogami Neglex OFC
Cut down Neutrik mini's
1/8" Carbon Techflex (the color, not actual carbon fiber)
Black polymer clay
Enamel paint and glaze

This little fellah took several hours to finish. I cut down some normal Neutrik minis as short as I could and still have tiny tabs to solder to (bent the ground tab 90 degrees downward as well). I used some black polymer clay (Fimo is a name brand), and molded just enough around the connectors to cover the wires and secure the techflex (this was a huge pain to keep the techflex from fraying and poking out of the clay). Once molded, I baked the whole cable (no cryo treatment here
smily_headphones1.gif
) according to the instructions at 275 F for 15 minutes to harden the connectors. A little sanding to smooth out any irregularities and then time for paint. 2 coats of blue enamel paint (1 hour drying in between) and 2 coats of glossy glaze (1 hour drying in between) and voila! shiny blue custom connectors! I like the clay better than my experiments with epoxy putty because it is less sticky and I have more time to work with it before it starts to harden. It is easier to form smoother shapes as well. That being said, epoxy putty doesn't need to be baked.

It was fun, but the amount of time it takes to finish the cable is a little excessive. I will keep playing with it though.

Let me know your thoughts on this one, particularly if you have used clay or epoxy putty and have tips on how to work with it.

Sick work, FraGGleR. I love it. I'm particularly impressed with how the techflex conceal work turned out. Having just worked with stuff and having to redo my first layer attempted due to fraying, I feel ya. (I ended up doing a layer of double walled shrink tubing with a layer of single wall over it just to be sure it would remain tidy.)

I'm also enamored with your enamel.
wink.gif
Seriously, excellent patience and attention to detail. Inspiring. Is this s*** art?! I think so. Soldier -err, solder on, brother.

Mar 12, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #5,344 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by FraGGleR /img/forum/go_quote.gif

One of the best minis I'v ever seen
smily_headphones1.gif

Here is my second IC (2ft):
1b1302bcddd1.jpg

86d4db8efc6a.jpg

Blue Mogami 2549, RRCA, black Techflex 1/4.

Mar 13, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #5,347 of 16,309
Thanks for the kind words about my mini!

And nice work rayk, that is some very clean work, especially the y splits (although get yourself some heatshrink that doesn' have writing on it
smily_headphones1.gif
)

momomo seems to have a LOD addiction
smily_headphones1.gif
nice work, buddy. i am too paranoid about mistakes to go that fast.

Mar 13, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #5,348 of 16,309
Ok, I'm building gaming cables for K240/K702. I decided to move away from the Cheezy Shrink-Tube only that I was using...
MonMar08121557EST2010.jpg

To something a little more professional...
SatMar13132121EST2010.jpg
SatMar13132201EST2010.jpg

So, as you can see... I'm still searching. Does anyone know of something similar to what I've "attempted" to use, but would work better? What you see above is a Radio Shack Stereo RCA female to single RCA Male adapter (of course just the outside shell was retained). Any help/suggestions would be incredibly appreciated!

Mar 13, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #5,349 of 16,309
Well, depending on how arts and crafty you are, you could try your hand at using epoxy putty to form a shell around your connectors. It isn't the easiest to work with since it is sticky, but once it hardens you can shape and sand to your satisfaction and then coat with enamel paint. Another thing you could try is polymer clay which is less sticky and much easier to work with. However, you have to bake it to harden it, which may or may not work, depending on what you are baking. I guess you could bake two halves and then use to house your connectors.

To be honest, I don't think the heatshrink looked bad, plus it was less bulky.

Just thought of someting like a Viablue Y splitter as a possibility. Not sure what sizes the Viablue holes are or what you need, but certainly if it fit, it would look way nice. Actually, the Furez splitter at the top of the page might be pretty money, as it's split plate is unfinished so you can drill whatever holes you need. Again, might not be enough space, but I was just inspired to buy a few to play with
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 14, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #5,352 of 16,309
Very nice re-cable job with the Denons. I'm too scared to tackle headphone recabling just yet. I'll stick with making interconnects for the time being.

Mar 15, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #5,353 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by tke398 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice re-cable job with the Denons. I'm too scared to tackle headphone recabling just yet. I'll stick with making interconnects for the time being.

Buy a pair of cheap headphones and practice. My first recable was a pair of 5 year old $25 Sony's just to say I did it.

Mar 15, 2010 at 1:50 AM Post #5,355 of 16,309
Quote:

Originally Posted by momomo6789 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my first was d7000s ^_^ got to start somewhere might as well start high

Judging by your list of headphones, I think your collection could take the hit easier than mine. When I first started DIY'ing I only had my Shures. Which I completely recabled and added a mini-xlr jack. I should probably post pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back