DIY Cable Gallery!!
Nov 19, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #15,016 of 16,309
PLUSSOUND What ever happened to your DiY wire? You had some excellent SPC Litz. Unreasonably expensive, but good, nonetheless.

Nov 20, 2016 at 2:03 AM Post #15,017 of 16,309

We completely sold out of our DIY wire some time ago, but our DIY connectors (CIEM, MMCX, 3.5mm TRS, 2.5mm TRRS, etc.) and components (cable y-splitters, cable sliders, cable sleevings) are available and will be in stock for Black Friday.

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
Nov 22, 2016 at 1:57 AM Post #15,018 of 16,309
Made a new cable for my new MDR-Z7's :-D

Black PET sleeve surrounding 4 core braided solid silver cabling up to the Audioquest Cable Pants, then down to Blue and Red PET surrounding 2 core braided silver, terminating with Oyaide 3.5mm plugs (silver rhodium).

Next to the original 12' cable to show difference in length.

Nov 22, 2016 at 4:29 AM Post #15,019 of 16,309
a friend of mine recently gave me his NOS pair of k501, which are one of my favorite headphones. i had a pair about 10 years ago, recabled it, sold it, and then regretted it. so i have a new pair and decided to recable it with a 4-pin XLR. using BTG wire in a 4 strand litz. just want to mention how poor the AKG wiring/soldering was. ugh.

Nov 24, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #15,023 of 16,309
Beyerdynamic DTX 501 p recabling.

Made a new cable for my Beyers because the original mega-poor cable insulation was like bungee rope and the internal conductors just tore apart.
I made it of insulated and silvered copper wires, Neutrik NTP3RC + NTP3RC-B connector and paracord braid.

Nov 25, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #15,024 of 16,309
I just wanted to share with everyone that the "good" or "serious" builders are no different than anyone else and someone lazier than most.

I've used this really beautiful custom Sennheiser cable for years but recently had an accident and broke the wire at the connector. Well, I could spend hours making it perfect, but until that, this is what you do in 15 minutes with a little solder and hot glue. :)

Nov 26, 2016 at 2:13 AM Post #15,025 of 16,309
Just curious, where do people here get their Cardas wire from? looking for some copper litz in the 26awg area. Probably gonna get a bunch of Y splitters from China because I can't justify $10 per splitter.

BTW There is a neat tweezer set shown at the beginning of this video. Have no idea what it's called or how I can find it since it doesn't seem to be like normal tweezers. Shown on the thumbnail too so you don't even have to click play! But anyone recognize it?

I am also going to invest in a spool of nucleotide wire soon, probably 24awg. Once I verify I can fit it in earbud shells.

Nov 26, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #15,026 of 16,309
Also im sure everyone here is set on tools. But i didn't have a clamp of my own so braiding wires was a pain. Especially with a fresh 200 foot spool of 30/46 copper litz. Not so stressful anymore.. But surely more experienced cable braiders have a setup like this already.

45193-01-1000.jpg

Nov 27, 2016 at 4:09 AM Post #15,027 of 16,309
  Beyerdynamic DTX 501 p recabling.

Made a new cable for my Beyers because the original mega-poor cable insulation was like bungee rope and the internal conductors just tore apart.
I made it of insulated and silvered copper wires, Neutrik NTP3RC + NTP3RC-B connector and paracord braid.

Very, very nice job!

T50p & DT1350 and their brothers have the exact same issue.

How did you open up your 501, may I ask?  I have one as well, will likely recable it before it fails on me like T50p did.

Also im sure everyone here is set on tools. But i didn't have a clamp of my own so braiding wires was a pain. Especially with a fresh 200 foot spool of 30/46 copper litz. Not so stressful anymore.. But surely more experienced cable braiders have a setup like this already.

45193-01-1000.jpg

Heh heh, I bought a bag of pairs of these in different sizes locally, although originally not with cables in mind.

The times I braided a couple of mic cables, I used painter's tape instead of a clamp.  A clamp is a smarter idea, though.

Nov 27, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #15,028 of 16,309
Hi Mad Max!

The disassembly was quite simple. You just need to separate te plastic part with the ear pads from the cabinet. I used a Snap-off Blade but then You must be carefull with the leather. Also note that there are two glued points as You can see on the photo - although the glue is not very strong. If You need any advice feel free to ask.

Nov 27, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #15,029 of 16,309
It's just glued together like a Grado or PX200?  Oh wow.

Nov 27, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #15,030 of 16,309
I just wanted to share with everyone that the "good" or "serious" builders are no different than anyone else and someone lazier than most.

I've used this really beautiful custom Sennheiser cable for years but recently had an accident and broke the wire at the connector. Well, I could spend hours making it perfect, but until that, this is what you do in 15 minutes with a little solder and hot glue.
smily_headphones1.gif

Lol, nice patch job :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back