DIY Cable Gallery!!
Sep 23, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #14,672 of 16,305

In a pinch, you can also use the soldering iron on the heat shrink. Just don't use the actual tip as solder can sometime stick. Lightly tapping with the barrel a few times should be enough.

It's certainly not the recommended method, but perhaps better than using a bbq...

I considered that, but I had a feeling the plastic would melt and stick to the iron. Really didn't want to stuff up the iron. But I guess I could give it a shot next time. (Or cough up and buy the proper tools...)

Simple and nicely built!....btw, what's the length you chose for the cable (standard is 1.2M/4ft)?

It was sold per 5ft, so I had to buy 4x 5ft, so 20ft. It came as a single length of 20ft. the final cable length is about 4.5ft.
Quote:
  I believe AyeCee's wire is the same as this one, cheaper too!! 10 metres is equivalent to 30ft. Here

I searched for hours to find cable, didn't find that one... Oh well. (Yeah, it looks the same)

Sep 23, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #14,674 of 16,305
It was sold per 5ft, so I had to buy 4x 5ft, so 20ft. It came as a single length of 20ft. the final cable length is about 4.5ft.

Yeah ok so from 20ft you used roughly 14ft (4.5*3), just wanted to find out how much length had been utilized from 20ft....aliexpress is another good place to buy.

Sep 23, 2015 at 6:12 AM Post #14,675 of 16,305
  Yeah ok so from 20ft you used roughly 14ft (4.5*3), just wanted to find out how much length had been utilized from 20ft....aliexpress is another good place to buy.

Well I bought 4x5 feet, thinking I'd finish with a 5 foot cable (1 right, 1 left, 2 ground) (I used 2 ground wires, both soldered together at the jack. Did this not for supposed better sound quality, but to have a slightly stiffer cable due to 4 wire braid)
In the end the cable was 4 feet, 9 Inches. So I lost 3 inches to the braiding I guess. 

Sep 23, 2015 at 6:21 AM Post #14,676 of 16,305
Oh, forgot to ask if this was normal or not. My cable is EXTREMELY microphonic. If I run my fingernails along the braid, it sounds like when you have a perfect seal between your ear and a hollow door, and someone is banging the door. The microphonics is almost inaudible when music is playing though. It's obviously due to the stiffness of the cable. Also, I think that I'm using silicon ear tips has something to do with it too. Maybe I'll have to find my crusty old comply tips and see if they do the same (too lazy to buy more...)

Sep 23, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #14,677 of 16,305
Well I bought 4x5 feet, thinking I'd finish with a 5 foot cable (1 right, 1 left, 2 ground) (I used 2 ground wires, both soldered together at the jack. Did this not for supposed better sound quality, but to have a slightly stiffer cable due to 4 wire braid)
In the end the cable was 4 feet, 9 Inches. So I lost 3 inches to the braiding I guess. 

oh ok, thats not a bad idea and same cable cld be used for future balanced sources with an trrs jack relacement.....

Sep 23, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #14,678 of 16,305
Oh, forgot to ask if this was normal or not. My cable is EXTREMELY microphonic. If I run my fingernails along the braid, it sounds like when you have a perfect seal between your ear and a hollow door, and someone is banging the door. The microphonics is almost inaudible when music is playing though. It's obviously due to the stiffness of the cable. Also, I think that I'm using silicon ear tips has something to do with it too. Maybe I'll have to find my crusty old comply tips and see if they do the same (too lazy to buy more...)

True that for these kind of cables, I use chin slider (cinch) to neutralize upto some extent....

Sep 24, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #14,681 of 16,305
First attempt at an 8-strand interconnect. Used cheap connectors from ebay and thin Oyaide wire (about 0.8mm external diameter).

After this cable, I tried making a 12-strand interconnect but it never functioned properly.

Sep 24, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #14,682 of 16,305
  First attempt at an 8-strand interconnect. Used cheap connectors from ebay and thin Oyaide wire (about 0.8mm external diameter).

After this cable, I tried making a 12-strand interconnect but it never functioned properly.

Great result.

can you please tell me your braiding technique?

i have to a similar cable soon.

thanks

Sep 25, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #14,684 of 16,305

Did a MrSpeakers Alpha Dog/Prime cable for a friend. Mogami W2534 stripped and with each wire individually sleeved in 1/8in black techflex and terminated in a double helix 6.3mm plug.

Sep 25, 2015 at 6:14 AM Post #14,685 of 16,305

Did a MrSpeakers Alpha Dog/Prime cable for a friend. Mogami W2534 stripped and with each wire individually sleeved in 1/8in black techflex and terminated in a double helix 6.3mm plug.

looks good!

your friend will be happy.

i cannot see any Y split.. ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back