DIY Cable Gallery!!
Sep 9, 2015 at 1:01 AM Post #14,641 of 16,305
a nice Silver plated OCC cable for my first SennGrado build!

Sep 12, 2015 at 7:10 AM Post #14,642 of 16,305
EyuiOL-8ff.jpg
Akwpa-Skj2.jpg
  a nice Silver plated OCC cable for my first SennGrado build!

I thought maybe that the wood will deform the shape of the headphones ...

Sep 17, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #14,644 of 16,305
  My DIY USB Cable

http://soundex.ru/uploads/monthly_2015_07/IMG_4578_(Medium).JPG.e052ae3fc54b9ab8e48e32849bde57b9.JPG

Sorry for a link, cause off I do not have permission to put pictures.

um... what exactly is in that thing?

Sep 17, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #14,646 of 16,305
But what makes them so thick in the middle? They are slim right at the connector ends...

Sep 17, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #14,648 of 16,305
When it becomes so large, do you think it would have been easier to separate the lines entirely and run them as separate cables? Or even split them so that you could use an external/cleaner power supply?

Sep 17, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #14,649 of 16,305
  When it becomes so large, do you think it would have been easier to separate the lines entirely and run them as separate cables? Or even split them so that you could use an external/cleaner power supply?

Separate entirely is difficult.. 

I think no need external power supply cleaner.. If lines goes separately. Just need good power supply in your PC and on mother board. 

Sep 20, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #14,651 of 16,305

Tedious, Difficult and Fulfilling. The three words to describe cable making.

Hey all, been a long time lurker and finally went ahead to make my first ever headphone/earphone/iem cable.
Wires are 28 AWG from taobao (super cheap) connectors are from taobao too. Viablue plug is from Null Audio in Singapore. Heatshrink are all from various Sim Lim Tower shops.

It's a 8 core hybrid cable with copper and silver-plated copper. Beautiful stuff.
HeatShrink everything. From Y-splitter to stress reliefs, all are made from clear heatshrink with hot glue for adhesives.

Braiding at the start was intensely difficult especially when you lose focus. Cables go all over the place and their coiling effect makes it worse to work with. Perseverance pulled me through. 

I've only had 1 instance where i soldered connections and that was 5 years ago in Secondary 2 Design and Technology class.
First connector was a very good looking silver tube 2 pin. And i had to screw it up. Soldered it on for too long and the plastic warped and the pin changed positions. I knew they weren't going to work anymore so i switched to a second piece. This one was less good looking. Even worse, the covering of the connector could not fit my quad braid. So i just settled for heatshrink around the connector. Red for right, blue for left. 

In the end it worked out. It's beautiful. There's connections running through the whole wire. There was immense pleasure and fulfillment when the cable was completed.

All in i just want to say, don't give up on DIY so early. It's difficult, it's tiring. It can get quite expensive too. But it's one of the greatest experiences I've ever had. I just did this on the carpet at home. No real workshop table or a room. I'm only 18 and studying very hard for my examinations and I decided to pick this up to relax. (It wasn't relaxing). Go ahead and get into DIY, you won't regret it.

Anyways, this cable is a request from my friend. I told him i wanted to try to make even though i don't have any detachable cable iems. So these will be for his Westone 4 and I will be getting his impressions real soon.

Sep 20, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #14,653 of 16,305
Looks like a cimbler cable, but you have right > i do it now for more than 35 years and i most say, the people/friends look for the first time, what is he doing, but after a few days the say, whats happend, i hear more detals, the soundstage = higher (no d'appolito) deeper and it come loss off my speackers, so i mean dear is more soundstage. Its a replica of real live concerts and you never bring at at home, but is a little step to listen too music and not to technick.
Regards, WalterQ04

Sep 20, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #14,654 of 16,305
  Looks like a cimbler cable, but you have right > i do it now for more than 35 years and i most say, the people/friends look for the first time, what is he doing, but after a few days the say, whats happend, i hear more detals, the soundstage = higher (no d'appolito) deeper and it come loss off my speackers, so i mean dear is more soundstage. Its a replica of real live concerts and you never bring at at home, but is a little step to listen too music and not to technick.
Regards, WalterQ04

"cimbler cable"? Do you mean Kimber?

Sep 20, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #14,655 of 16,305

Users who are viewing this thread

Back