DIY Cable Gallery!!
Jan 5, 2005 at 3:28 AM Post #196 of 16,305
Quote:

highflyin9, The only question I have is this....is there ANYTHING in your house you haven't rewired?

I can see it now...

Quote:

Re-cabled Black and Decker toaster...

Quote:

Yes, my Alessandros, they are perfect as-is

Really? Well actually I must say that the Grado stock cable isn't bad. Since my 325s were the studio retired ones from Veritas a re-cable made a bit more sense. However, I find the microphonics off the stock Grado cable a bit annoying. As well, the whole cord from the "y" assembly up seems to get badly twisted with normal use for me.

Jan 14, 2005 at 6:58 PM Post #197 of 16,305
Senn 580/600/650 dual mono cable for use with balanced headphone amps. Uses Cat 6 network cable spliced onto the Senn connectors and a 4 pin XLR plug on the other end.

sennb.jpg

Jan 15, 2005 at 10:05 PM Post #198 of 16,305
Here's an old cable but I don't think I've posted it yet. This cables use starquad wire, HGA connectors and tech-flex, they connect my home source to the PIMETA(my old Ms-1s and PIMETA are also pictured):
diy_rcas.jpg

Here are some cables I whipped up last night out of stuff I had laying around:

The first one is a set of RCAs to connect my Karma to my PIMETA when I want to move my rig around. Just cheap RS connectors and wire but it doesn't sound too bad:
RS_RCAS.jpg

Heres a dual RCA to 1/4" connector I made too. I decided to find some use for the old grado "y" in my old cable. RS connectors, Grado cable, Vampire Wire connector:
RCA_headphone.jpg

Jan 21, 2005 at 7:07 PM Post #199 of 16,305
A little off-topic, sorry, but I am in 'smug mode'
tongue.gif

Pic 1 : Took ages to make this one properly. Have since dropped the RCAs and have started using a good quality german RCA connector (aswell as Eichmanns - IMHO the best there is.)

Enchanter-1m-full.jpg

Sold it to a very happy 'customer' - for far more than it cost to make it, financially anyway

Pic 2 : Palladium cable (currently in use as my centre analogue pre-out from my Lexicon processor to my ATi power amplifier.) Basic double-helix design with copper braid, all teflon dielectric, bullets, and a nice braid that was a freebie sample. Dialogue has never been so clear and never had such a deep soundstage.
icon10.gif

palladium-cable.jpg

Next project is a ma-hoo-sive mains cable for my power amplifier.

Paul.

Jan 23, 2005 at 12:13 AM Post #200 of 16,305
Cable: 16 AWG silver plated copper with teflon insulation, 2 strands for each signal line.
Connector: gold plated RCA connectors

Need a short cable to connect my PPA to my laptop and desktop in the office. This one sounds pretty nice, very detailed probably due to silver plated copper. Braiding took a bit effor since Teflon is so slick.

DSCN0817.JPG

DSCN0818.JPG

Jan 23, 2005 at 4:34 AM Post #202 of 16,305
I've made a couple revisions to my Senn cable since I posted the original. A second layer of techflex was added, the Y-split was simplified and the leads to the headphone were heatshrunk rather than techflexed for what I think is a more professional look.
SennCables2.jpg

SennCables.jpg

Jan 29, 2005 at 8:47 AM Post #207 of 16,305
just picked up some sivler cable to recable some can, as practice for expensive ones.

anywho i made this cable today fora purpse, literally 20 mins after i finished it i no longer needed it. wait and see if need it at all, then maybe sell it.

55" Straight SwitchCraft minis, canare SQ(black), black techflex, HeatShrink, and a custom touch :p

newcable.jpg

Jan 29, 2005 at 10:01 AM Post #208 of 16,305
0404 -> 2x RCA and 1/8" jack cable:

finished.jpg

Jan 30, 2005 at 1:08 AM Post #209 of 16,305
highflyin9 --

How would you describe the difference in sound between the K501's stock cable and your new cable? Some silver ICs I have did go through changes during a burn-in period ... how about your new 501 cables?

I rarely see any reference to K501 recable and I am interested to know. I'm very happy with my 501s with the stock cable, but if recable provides a significant improvement it's worth considering.

Regards,
Peter

Jan 30, 2005 at 3:17 AM Post #210 of 16,305
My first keeper:

Neutrik.jpg

Neutrik2.jpg

Pretty basic, but it does sound better than what I was using. A Parts Express order:

12 092-157 NEUTRIK NYS231B 3.5mm STEREO PLUG $1.32 $15.84

...and silver-plated copper teflon wire from eBay, Litz braided, covered with heat shrink tubing. Soldered at 500 F on a Weller WESD51, using a 1/32" tip and .015 dia silver-bearing solder. Remember to leave one wire long as a lead wire to pull through the tube! This came out well enough to give me the confidence to go do the surface mount work on my MINT.

As a student of you alll, I wish that you'd post more "money" shots before you clothe your work. This is the internet after all! The insides are the hard part for newbies like me to learn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back