DIY Cable Gallery!!
Feb 6, 2005 at 5:54 AM Post #226 of 16,306
So, ive wanted to try and recable some headphones, and while ive yet to get a pair to recable i did how ever make a cable. first attempt at it, my Y split got a bit messing doesnt look to bad, at least for a first attempt. As i wirite this, i realize i could have made the entire cable from 1 single piece of cable, but i went for a 3 piece set up.(main, left ear and right ear). i have no idea how it will sound, hoping someone here can tell me how "canare star quad" affects or effects the sound, better or worse. so with out further ado.

6ft. plug tip to driver solder points
canare star quad copper cable
switch craft straight plug
techflex and headshrink.

headphonecable1.jpg

Feb 6, 2005 at 3:56 PM Post #227 of 16,306
Quote:

Originally Posted by infiskik
I have no idea how it will sound, hoping someone here can tell me how "canare star quad" affects or effects the sound, better or worse

Infiskik, the Canare Starquad's definently on the warm side of the spectrum, even moreso than some of the other pure copper wires I've tried. Nice work BTW
biggrin.gif

Feb 6, 2005 at 8:29 PM Post #228 of 16,306
Thanks! with your work that means enough to make it all seem worth it.

plus thank you for the info.

and you use mostly silver plated copper...where do you get that wire, i ordered smoe HGA silver braid for some interconnects or another headphone cable, and some bulk 22ga silver wire. but dont know where to get silver plated. id like to try it, and hope its cheaper then the HGA pure silver stuff.

Feb 7, 2005 at 12:55 AM Post #229 of 16,306
Yeah it's a lot cheaper, you can expect to pay about 15-20 cents a foot or tops on silver plated copper in teflon wire (for 20-24 gauge). I generally find mine on Ebay where there seems to be an endless supply of it
biggrin.gif
. Also Thrice had found that Belden makes it and it can be had on Markertek.

Feb 7, 2005 at 7:33 AM Post #231 of 16,306
whoohooo another makertek order for me!! that makes like 20 something now
frown.gif

they kill you in S/H my only complaint.

and thanks again...

an RnB looks like you sripped to much wire and its not in the barrel i had that problem once too :p on my 2nd cable...

Feb 8, 2005 at 7:57 PM Post #233 of 16,306
Quote:

whoohooo another makertek order for me!! that makes like 20 something now
frown.gif

they kill you in S/H my only complaint.

I was going to order a pile of cable-making supplies from Markertek until they quoted me $100+ in shipping for a package weighing 10 lbs
eek.gif
frown.gif

/U.

EDIT: So if anyone has some spare switchcraft RCA's I'm interested
rolleyes.gif

EDIT #2: infiskik, this is a bit OT for the cable gallery, YGPM instead
wink.gif

Feb 8, 2005 at 8:06 PM Post #234 of 16,306
ohhh to your location that is rough. i thought the 15 bucks i normally pay was bad...

any a little off topic your PPA amp has to be one of the most beautifull ones ive seen around. do you make for others or no?

Feb 12, 2005 at 4:10 AM Post #236 of 16,306
My trial RCA-RCA patch cable. Both the wire and the connectors are eBay specials (18 AWG shielded OFC copper cable, gold-plated brass with gunmetal metal body RCAs). Signal is using the center conductor, and sheild is shield.

Sorry about the poor picture quality, but using my webcam to take pics. Also got a shot of the internals of it. Seems to work fine, so I can't complain thus yet.

195847.jpg

200136.jpg

Feb 12, 2005 at 4:42 AM Post #237 of 16,306
nice looking plugs, link maybe?

also im trying to find a happy medium of price/quality/and looks for some RCAs, i like the rhodium HGA ones btu a bit steep at 9 a pop, anyone recommend some stylish RCAs in the 4-6 per range?

Feb 12, 2005 at 12:35 PM Post #239 of 16,306
Quote:

nice looking plugs, link maybe?

also im trying to find a happy medium of price/quality/and looks for some RCAs, i like the rhodium HGA ones btu a bit steep at 9 a pop, anyone recommend some stylish RCAs in the 4-6 per range?

If you're asking me about my RCA plugs, here's a link (eBay) to an expired auction of his. If you dig through his eBay store, you'll find he sells quite a lot of other stuff as well (replica Neutrik stuff included). And when I said they're eBay specials, they are... hehehe.. the RCAs are going for 8 for $11. At that price, figure if I screw something up it'll be a cheap mistake.
biggrin.gif

I was thinking of ordering from PartsConexxion, but I was initially put off by having to print and fill out an order form then fax or email it in. They do seem to have some nice stuff.. the replical WBT plugs I was thinking of ordering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back