DIY Cable Gallery!!
Jan 30, 2005 at 7:19 PM Post #211 of 16,306
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee
highflyin9 -- How would you describe the difference in sound between the K501's stock cable and your new cable? Some silver ICs I have did go through changes during a burn-in period ... how about your new 501 cables? Regards,
Peter

Hi there Peter, the K501 cable is silver plated copper rather than pure silver, I'm not really than crazy about pure silver in headphone cables although I like it in ICs. The K501s have only had about 25 hours of burn in time since I recabled them, but I noticed a slight increase in bass performance, wheras all other frequencies sounded relatively similar. I was worried that the already somewhat bright nature of the K501s would be increased with the added silver content in the cable but luckily it was not an issue.

Jan 30, 2005 at 8:56 PM Post #212 of 16,306
infiskik, when you say "custom" i assume your talking about the symbols on your heatshrink. may i ask how you did that?
confused.gif

Jan 30, 2005 at 10:39 PM Post #213 of 16,306
Quote:

Originally Posted by jerb
infiskik, when you say "custom" i assume your talking about the symbols on your heatshrink. may i ask how you did that?
confused.gif

a silver pen would do that quite well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 31, 2005 at 6:10 AM Post #215 of 16,306
paint pen, metalic ink pens im sure would work....that was just that silver sharpie.

Quote:

As a student of you alll, I wish that you'd post more "money" shots before you clothe your work. This is the internet after all! The insides are the hard part for newbies like me to learn.

ive got a ton of my solder shots but figure they are boring...you can check the original DIY cable guide and see some of my photos that brschmid put into his guide.

Jan 31, 2005 at 8:01 AM Post #216 of 16,306
Quote:

Originally Posted by highflyin9
Hi there Peter, the K501 cable is silver plated copper rather than pure silver, I'm not really than crazy about pure silver in headphone cables although I like it in ICs. The K501s have only had about 25 hours of burn in time since I recabled them, but I noticed a slight increase in bass performance, wheras all other frequencies sounded relatively similar. I was worried that the already somewhat bright nature of the K501s would be increased with the added silver content in the cable but luckily it was not an issue.

Thanks for the comments. I'd find it interesting to hear what further thoughts you might have when the cable is fully matured.

Jan 31, 2005 at 6:16 PM Post #217 of 16,306
Quote:

That's interesting. With my re-cabled 325s I found the bass stayed the same while the other frequencies improved.

Jan 31, 2005 at 7:01 PM Post #218 of 16,306
It's almost a roll of the dice as far as what might change for a rewire, I suppose that increasing the gauge is allowing more low frequencies to make their way to the cans, the DT770s had a similar increase in bass when rewired. I'm pretty suprised that the high end didn't change noticably with the added silver but it goes to show you that rewires aren't always predictable.

Feb 2, 2005 at 10:55 PM Post #220 of 16,306
Just a quick HD497 replacement cable (my old one snapped at the connectors, grrr fragile as hell). Isn't quite finished yet as wider heatshrink hasn't turned up yet. It will be used for the headphone connectors and the Y-split maybe.

hd497cable1.jpg

More pictures soon
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 3, 2005 at 11:39 AM Post #221 of 16,306
Would it be worth getting my MS-2 recabled just for the hell of it ?
i know the stock grado cable aint bad

I cant afford to send it to Headphile for a recable, but my friends dad would be able to perform a recable on it ?

If its not worth It I wont worry
If so, whats the best cable to use that I could get in Australia ?

Feb 4, 2005 at 7:43 PM Post #223 of 16,306
Cardas 300B interconnects
Length: 2 feet
RCA terminations: Cardas GRMO
Cable: Cardas 300B Microtwin
Cardas300B.jpg

These are my own homemade 300B interconnects. PercyAudio was the only place I could find the 300B interconnect cable in bulk. Total cost on these buggers was about $60 for the pair, although I would happily pay the extra to have Cardas terminate them for me as the Cardas RCAs were the most difficult plugs I've even had the pleasure of using. If you want the dirty details check out this thread: http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=104358
biggrin.gif

Feb 6, 2005 at 12:18 AM Post #225 of 16,306
Quote:

Originally Posted by highflyin9
Cardas 300B interconnects
Length: 2 feet
RCA terminations: Cardas GRMO
Cable: Cardas 300B Microtwin
Cardas300B.jpg

These are my own homemade 300B interconnects. PercyAudio was the only place I could find the 300B interconnect cable in bulk. Total cost on these buggers was about $60 for the pair, although I would happily pay the extra to have Cardas terminate them for me as the Cardas RCAs were the most difficult plugs I've even had the pleasure of using. If you want the dirty details check out this thread: http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=104358
biggrin.gif

Nice work Bryan - can't wait for you to create my din>phono cable!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back