DIY Cable Gallery!!
Jul 29, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #13,802 of 16,305
yep, they are indeed the BTG wires. i think they're pretty good wires for the price. $.80/ft. for the black and $1/ft. for the silver coated copper, i believe. i've used them for my cables in the past. and i do like switchcraft connectors. cheap and good quality. 

Jul 30, 2014 at 12:48 AM Post #13,804 of 16,305
It's not a cable yet, but man these are sexy. Took a month to arrive. Picked up a handful.
I've normally avoided the brand due to different issues with their build, but this one really does the trick inside and out. Now to decide what it'll go on.

Jul 30, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #13,805 of 16,305
It's not a cable yet, but man these are sexy. Took a month to arrive. Picked up a handful.
I've normally avoided the brand due to different issues with their build, but this one really does the trick inside and out. Now to decide what it'll go on.

Are they the ones from AliExpress?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/3-5mm-Male-Jack-Audio-Headphone-Stereo-3-5MM-headphone-earphone-Adapter/703106331.html

Jul 30, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #13,806 of 16,305
Jul 30, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #13,807 of 16,305
That's them. :blush:

They look really nice. I'm planning on getting a hand full of them soon.

Could you do me a favor? Can you take a picture of the contacts? I want to see what kind they are.

Jul 30, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #13,808 of 16,305
They look really nice. I'm planning on getting a hand full of them soon.

Could you do me a favor? Can you take a picture of the contacts? I want to see what kind they are.

"Soon" :joy:. Hopefully shipping takes less time for you.
I like the groove in the ground plate. Now you can solder under instead of worrying about very little clearance with the tip's solder surface.
Also, they added a small groove in the separating plastic between the tip and ring solder surfaces to easily run the wire to the ring surface.
Still not as simple as Neutrik-style, but a big step up from Viablue with the little changes.

Jul 30, 2014 at 2:42 AM Post #13,809 of 16,305
I like the groove in the ground plate. Now you can solder under instead of worrying about very little clearance with the tip's solder surface.
Also, they added a small groove in the separating plastic between the tip and ring solder surfaces to easily run the wire to the ring surface.
Still not as simple as Neutrik-style, but a big step up from Viablue with the little changes.

It's actually a really good design. First time I've seen it. I do agree that the Nuetrik's style where every contact is it's own is much better but this is also great. 

Jul 30, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #13,810 of 16,305
The Pailiccs "Bowling Pins" are a nice plug, I picked up the matching inline socket as well.

The only thing I don't like is that there is no strain relief like the big body versions with the white ring.

Jul 30, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #13,811 of 16,305

I've just realised that these don't have any strain relief.... hmmmm... might have to improvise.

Jul 30, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #13,812 of 16,305
The Pailiccs "Bowling Pins" are a nice plug, I picked up the matching inline socket as well.

The only thing I don't like is that there is no strain relief like the big body versions with the white ring.

I've just realised that these don't have any strain relief.... hmmmm... might have to improvise.

I think that maybe we worry maybe more than needed about the strain. The exit is pretty snug. I suppose a little heat shrink running inside from around the solder joints to the exit is fine if it really bothers you.
I might care if I was making it for someone else, but I can always fix it if something did happen.
Moreover, we are using much better wire than the hair-thin, 7-strand stuff in stock cables. A good solder joint isn't going anywhere without serious concentrated force. I wouldn't stress it *Rimshot*.

Jul 30, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #13,813 of 16,305
I just like a nice clamp or that Neutrik 90 degree style cable clamp... Like you if I breaky, I fixy. :D

The last pair I used of those Pailiccs a little hot glue around the soldered area keeps it all snug.

Jul 30, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #13,815 of 16,305
Anybody purchased a good/decent 3.5mm solderless/screw on jack lately? Gold plated preferred.....ty.

I know, we kinda ran the thread off course a little.
Questions are better for this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/676402/diy-cable-questions-and-comments-thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back