DIY Cable Gallery!!
May 19, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #13,651 of 16,306

This belongs in the other thread. But I'll respond quickly. Going to post a video showing this eventually, but you guys are doing it wrong. 
Push in the shielding on one side so that the braid expands in a bulb-like fashion. Once it's loose at that end you can simply pull it down, (in the same direction that you pushed to loosen it),  and it slides right off the other side. Takes less than 20 seconds. Length really doesn't matter that much in the process. 

Best way.

May 19, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #13,652 of 16,306
Nothing fancy at all. I bought the Bose AE2 on eBay with the 2.5mm connector broken off inside the headphone's 2.5mm chassis. I just took that chassis out and straight cabled it with Mogami w2893>Pailiccs 3.5mm connector. I needed something simple for when I'm outside working on the cars or whatever it may be without worrying about damaging my nice headphones. 

May 21, 2014 at 5:12 AM Post #13,657 of 16,306

This belongs in the other thread. But I'll respond quickly. Going to post a video showing this eventually, but you guys are doing it wrong. 
Push in the shielding on one side so that the braid expands in a bulb-like fashion. Once it's loose at that end you can simply pull it down, (in the same direction that you pushed to loosen it),  and it slides right off the other side. Takes less than 20 seconds. Length really doesn't matter that much in the process. 

But in doing this don't you just not use the shielding at all? Isn't the whole point of shielding to use as the ground so you can use 2 wires for the signal?

May 21, 2014 at 5:41 AM Post #13,658 of 16,306

But in doing this don't you just not use the shielding at all? Isn't the whole point of shielding to use as the ground so you can use 2 wires for the signal?

Canare star quad L-4E5C, (and others that are similar), have 4 total wires inside. Yes, removing the shielding means I don't plan on using it at all. I use 1 wire for each L & R signals and 2 wires for ground. Occasionally, I'll even remove a wire and just have the 3 for a slightly smaller footprint. Really no reason to run multiple wires to the same point. It's just more potential for issues, but that's my opinion. Anytime I run more than the absolutely necessary number of wires, it's purely for aesthetics. 
Shielding is heavy, and I have no issues with EMI or RFI in any of the places I've lived. While shielding absolutely has its purpose, I really have no use for it 95% of the time. 

May 21, 2014 at 5:46 AM Post #13,659 of 16,306
Yes I get what you're saying but that means you can't use the cable to do balanced recables either. That's why I prefer Cardas for example, with a non-braided shielding, it really makes things easier to seperate the shielding into 2 strands so you can use it for grounding and keep the signal cables for their intended use.

May 21, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #13,660 of 16,306
  Yes I get what you're saying but that means you can't use the cable to do balanced recables either. That's why I prefer Cardas for example, with a non-braided shielding, it really makes things easier to seperate the shielding into 2 strands so you can use it for grounding and keep the signal cables for their intended use.

I have 4 wires. How is it that you don't think someone could do a balanced connection? L+, R+, L-, R-  = 4 wires. 

May 21, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #13,661 of 16,306

I have 4 wires. How is it that you don't think someone could do a balanced connection? L+, R+, L-, R-  = 4 wires. 

But no ground?

May 21, 2014 at 6:59 AM Post #13,664 of 16,306
From nikongod in another thread:

The 4-pin XLR has a perfect place to hook up a shield in the shell of the plug. 
Since it is not common to hook up pin 1 on 3pinXLR headphone outputs - grounding to pin1 is the same as not grounding! 

The third wire (pin 1) is not supposed to play the role of a shield, it is supposed to send a ground reference from device to device. The shell of the plug is supposed to play the role of the shield. 

A **Wire** does basically nothing to shield against RF. you need a braided metal, or wrapped foil shield to stop RF. At that point, yes, you ground one end. 

Are you surprised to hear that I would argue in favor of shielding? I love the idea of shielding cables, even output cables (gasp). The problem is that not everyone hooks up pin 1 on a 3pinXLR when used as a headphone output. The odds of you finding pin 1 hooked up are FAR lower than the odds of you finding the shell of the plug grounded to the chassis. So hook the shield to the shell of the 4-pin plug and be done with it.

So it seems to me that if you want to build a proper 4 pin XLR balanced cable, you need the shield grounded to the shell...

May 21, 2014 at 7:02 AM Post #13,665 of 16,306
  From nikongod in another thread:

So it seems to me that if you want to build a proper 4 pin XLR balanced cable, you need the shield grounded to the shell...

You don't need to.  Most cables and amps don't have it hooked up anyway.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back