DIY Cable Gallery!!
Nov 9, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #10,473 of 16,305
Here's a cable I'm working on now. I used bitpower sleeving from frozencpu. It's not complete yet because I forgot which wires I soldered to which part and I have wait till I'm home to borrow my dad's multimeter :frowning2:

Nov 10, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #10,474 of 16,305
Sweet!

Edit: That sleeving looks nice.  Will try it out later.

Nov 10, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #10,475 of 16,305
red right, black ground? 

Nov 10, 2012 at 6:42 AM Post #10,477 of 16,305
Also, quick question:

Anyone know of a 3-6 inch right angle mini male to mini female (right angle optional/preferred).

I'd make one myself but all female adapters to buy are too long for my needs. Having a pre-made female mini allows it to be pretty short.

If that isn't familiar, than can anyone recommend some (short plug) female mini cables for cheap? The male right angled can be DIY'd..

Cheers in advance.

Nov 10, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #10,478 of 16,305
Quote:
Also, quick question:

Anyone know of a 3-6 inch right angle mini male to mini female (right angle optional/preferred).

I'd make one myself but all female adapters to buy are too long for my needs. Having a pre-made female mini allows it to be pretty short.

If that isn't familiar, than can anyone recommend some (short plug) female mini cables for cheap? The male right angled can be DIY'd..

Cheers in advance.

Other than really cheap ones off of ebay, I don't know of any cable-mount mini's that are low profile.  That being said, most female mini's meant for panel or board mounting are quite small and could be adapted to a low profile adapter with just some heatshrink or some epoxy putty/Sugru solution.

http://www.switchcraft.com/Category.aspx?Parent=942  The surface mount ones are about as small as you can get.  The panel mount might be a bit more robust.  You can get a similar jack at a Radio Shack or similar electronics parts store.

Nov 11, 2012 at 6:30 AM Post #10,481 of 16,305
Quote:

Other than really cheap ones off of ebay, I don't know of any cable-mount mini's that are low profile.  That being said, most female mini's meant for panel or board mounting are quite small and could be adapted to a low profile adapter with just some heatshrink or some epoxy putty/Sugru solution.

http://www.switchcraft.com/Category.aspx?Parent=942  The surface mount ones are about as small as you can get.  The panel mount might be a bit more robust.  You can get a similar jack at a Radio Shack or similar electronics parts store.

Fantastic idea Fraggler! The sugru and surface mount should be perfect! They're for a conversion of some HD 215's to bluetooth.. I'll be posting a thread once it's completed.

Cheers buddy !

Nov 11, 2012 at 6:44 AM Post #10,482 of 16,305
Quote:

Quote:
Fantastic idea Fraggler! The sugru and surface mount should be perfect! They're for a conversion of some HD 215's to bluetooth.. I'll be posting a thread once it's completed.

Cheers buddy !

Also - here's an idea - since the male jack in question will not be removed once installed, it's not really necessary to have a female jack is it?
Would soldering the corresponding wires to the correct tips of the male mini on the bluetooth reciever work? I can't see why it wouldn't. This would dramatically reduce the limited space I have being taken up.(see receiver in question below)

Nov 11, 2012 at 6:58 AM Post #10,483 of 16,305
Quote:

Also - here's an idea - since the male jack in question will not be removed once installed, it's not really necessary to have a female jack is it?
Would soldering the corresponding wires to the correct tips of the male mini on the bluetooth reciever work? I can't see why it wouldn't. This would dramatically reduce the limited space I have being taken up.(see receiver in question below)

I recon it would work. May possibly need to heat sink the jack plug at the top in order to limit the heat getting to the internal components off the receiver.

Or, open up the receiver and eliminate the jack plug altogether?

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #10,485 of 16,305
Quote:
I recon it would work. May possibly need to heat sink the jack plug at the top in order to limit the heat getting to the internal components off the receiver.

Or, open up the receiver and eliminate the jack plug altogether?

If you are up for it, and are trying to a complete conversion, then cracking open the case and removing the plugs altogether is a good idea.  Less complexity, fewer joints that could break over time.  

And like Ardgedee said, you might as well go all the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back