DIY Cable Gallery!!
Jul 10, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #9,631 of 16,306
Quote:
What about Clean Cut?

Also I'm dealing with a Y-Split so is there anything I can use to wrap the two cables coming out of the 26 AWG main line? 

Personally, I'd avoid wirecare because most of the stuff isn't stuff that a headphone cabler can use. (Kevlar and silica sleeve are something that we can use). Furryletters pretty much provides everything you need to make a sleeved cable.

Just use adhesive heatshrink! I have another way to do a good splitter, but you'll have to pm me on the matter.

Jul 11, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #9,633 of 16,306
Quote:
I would like to wrap my headphone cable with something that would make it look cool, i have hifi 580. I dont know what to use or how to do it so i came here!

See sleeve link above...

You will need to solder on a new plug though and get some heatshrink.

Jul 11, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #9,636 of 16,306
My sister did something like that to her earbuds. Not sure how she did it, but it was tighter than that and spiraled up the cable. I wouldn't do it to any of mine, but it doesn't look bad by any means.

Jul 11, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #9,637 of 16,306
Girls have been doing that to things for years. It's called the chinese staircase stitch. Fairly easy to do, but it's thousands of little knot around your cable, which can't be good for longevity as you pull it tight with each stitch
Quote:
My sister did something like that to her earbuds. Not sure how she did it, but it was tighter than that and spiraled up the cable. I wouldn't do it to any of mine, but it doesn't look bad by any means.

Jul 12, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #9,639 of 16,306
Quote:
Hi,

is it possible to rewire my TDK BA200 and remove the Y-split forever. Its annoying and troublesome.

Do you guys know any idea on how to pry open the shell?

:D

If you remove the Y-split it will affect the sound, there is a resistor inside to control the impedance!

Jul 12, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #9,640 of 16,306
Quote:

If you remove the Y-split it will affect the sound, there is a resistor inside to control the impedance!

resistors are in the Y split? How odd. 

It shouldn't be that hard to relocate them elsewhere in the cable though. 

Jul 12, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #9,641 of 16,306
Quote:
Hi,

is it possible to rewire my TDK BA200 and remove the Y-split forever. Its annoying and troublesome.

Do you guys know any idea on how to pry open the shell?

:D

If you've got and exacto knife, start along the seem and press down till something moves. Once you get that first crack, rock the knife back and forth all the way around until its all lose and you can get into the headphones. That's how I open up the 7? Se530's I've worked on in the past.

I suggest getting a fairly used knife, since you don't want to slice yourself to bits. A new razor blade is a bit duanting if your just starting to open IEM's.

As for the resistor, you could just put it in the headphone jack. I recommend getting epoxy and sealing the resistor and it's leads to alleviate any durability issues.

Jul 12, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #9,642 of 16,306
How do you determine what resistors to put in each head/ear phone?

Jul 12, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #9,644 of 16,306
Quote:
How do you determine what resistors to put in each head/ear phone?

Look at the old ones. Or make before and after measurements and do the math. 

Jul 12, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #9,645 of 16,306
Quote:

Quote:

resistors are in the Y split? How odd. 

It shouldn't be that hard to relocate them elsewhere in the cable though. 

this is what im planning to do:

Quote:

If you've got and exacto knife, start along the seem and press down till something moves. Once you get that first crack, rock the knife back and forth all the way around until its all lose and you can get into the headphones. That's how I open up the 7? Se530's I've worked on in the past.

I suggest getting a fairly used knife, since you don't want to slice yourself to bits. A new razor blade is a bit duanting if your just starting to open IEM's.

As for the resistor, you could just put it in the headphone jack. I recommend getting epoxy and sealing the resistor and it's leads to alleviate any durability issues.

wow, that's a lot of 530's you've sliced, is it going to seal back or do i need some sealant after the work  :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back