DIY Cable Gallery!!
Apr 8, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #9,016 of 16,317

Quote:
Is there a standard polarity arrangement for Westone/UE-style connectors? For example, is the + socket always in front of the - socket, or do manufacturers generally not care, as long as the left and right channels are arranged uniformly?

As far as im aware this is the standard arrangement, But im not 100% on that...

Top line for JH / Westone etc. Bottom line is TF10 / SF5 etc

Apr 8, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #9,019 of 16,317
Agreed... those are much nicer looking that the ones I paid $10 for to get shipped, and I nearly ruined trying to solder them together... I like these!

Quote:

Iiiiiinterestiiiing...

Incidentally, where did you get those plugs? I've only seen clear plugs (described above) for sale in my online wanderings.

Apr 8, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #9,020 of 16,317

Quote:

Iiiiiinterestiiiing...

Incidentally, where did you get those plugs? I've only seen clear plugs (described above) for sale in my online wanderings.

Quote:
Agreed... those are much nicer looking that the ones I paid $10 for to get shipped, and I nearly ruined trying to solder them together... I like these!

Yes these are much nicer..... Sadly I think the place that these come from stopped producing them. There was a thread about them a while ago. From a place called something(?) Global - based in HK. People were buying them for like $4 + shipping, but then the seller stopped replying to emails.  These are not mine, this is a picture from another audio forum I pulled off of google. However, I have been speaking to a bloke who is getting prices for better quality pin connectors to be manufactured in the USA, and wants to know if there is enough interest. So as soon as I have more info and possibly photos and prices of the connectors I will be starting a new thread to asses the amount of interest in them.

Apr 8, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #9,022 of 16,317
Thanks to Cogs... I had to de-solder my 3.5mm end, remove the shrink-tubing, drill out a Wooden bead and dress up my cable... Sheesh... I should've done this before I put it all together..  
biggrin.gif

Was going to add in my 6-pin Mini-XLR connectors and make the cable balanced, with swappable SE ends (1/4" Furutech and the 1/8" ViaBlue).  ...but decided I didn't want to add any extra weight.  If I had the DT1350, then I'd have done it in a heartbeat...

Apr 8, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #9,023 of 16,317
I dont feel that I should take all the blame man! But, that does look nice. Good work , you chose a really nice bead - sets that copper off really well.

Quote:
Thanks to Cogs... I had to de-solder my 3.5mm end, remove the shrink-tubing, drill out a Wooden bead and dress up my cable... Sheesh... I should've done this before I put it all together..  
biggrin.gif

Was going to add in my 6-pin Mini-XLR connectors and make the cable balanced, with swappable SE ends (1/4" Furutech and the 1/8" ViaBlue).  ...but decided I didn't want to add any extra weight.  If I had the DT1350, then I'd have done it in a heartbeat...

Apr 8, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #9,025 of 16,317
Many people are just using wooden beads, and drilling the holes larger to accommodate the cable. I still like using a spare barrel from the neutrik/rean 3.5mm trs. and shrink tubing over it. 

Apr 9, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #9,026 of 16,317

Quote:
Many people are just using wooden beads, and drilling the holes larger to accommodate the cable. I still like using a spare barrel from the neutrik/rean 3.5mm trs. and shrink tubing over it. 

That is a method that has served me well on a couple of occasions. Have you tried it with the new plastic barrels? I wonder how they will react to the heat.

Apr 9, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #9,027 of 16,317

Neutrik/Rean has gone to plastic barrels?  Ppfffffttt!  I don't think I like that.  I used to use them because they had a nice metal body.  I also used to do the shrink tubing over their bodies... but I think the wood beads or something more decorative gives it a classier look.
Quote:
That is a method that has served me well on a couple of occasions. Have you tried it with the new plastic barrels? I wonder how they will react to the heat.

Apr 9, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #9,028 of 16,317
I just got a bunch of Rean NYS231BG a few weeks ago, and was wondering why they felt lighter. My older NYS231BG is wrapped in heatshrink tubing, so I can't make an easy side-by-side comparison.

Oh well. The new barrels are thick and sturdy. Aside from not being as heavy as the old ones, they don't seem cheap at all. I don't think I'll mind.

Apr 9, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #9,029 of 16,317
Does Markertek sell wire that is a ton of strands and is super soft in the 24awg or 26-30awg range?  Would like to try out other wires, but not liking the overseas shipping that I'm doing lately (taking too much time).

Apr 9, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #9,030 of 16,317
Mogami 2893?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back