DIY Cable Gallery!!
Mar 18, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #6,436 of 16,312
to reduce costs if buying something like jena ultra wire with braiding for example. But Im not cable maniac and not sure if there are some differences. thats why Im asking if that could be sound improvement or its mainly for "good looking" headphones. I personally like that look of braided, helix cables.

Mar 18, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #6,437 of 16,312
I am really not sure of any sound improvements because I have never tested it. Some people say yes others say no. My personal opinion is that there is nothing to justify the money.
I am very pleased with patch/ microphonecable. When your are liking to braid you can also get some wire from homegrown audio. But to be honest only one meter braided and the rest as a normal extension seems not to be logical IMO. Nevertheless it is your turn and if you like it, than do it:) :).

Mar 18, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #6,438 of 16,312
I think youre right about that idea of 1m cable and extension. Dont know if "good on paper" cable can do anything. At least it looks more estetic for me. Right now I focus on building tube DAC but any ideas of improving sound and look are in my mind:) Maybe Ill try with cheaper copper in future.

Mar 18, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #6,439 of 16,312

Quote:
Hi!
Im thinking about recabling my beyers dt880pro. I wanted to give a try to jenalabs wire but found it would be too much money total. Then I found such offer on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.pl/Double-Helix-Nucleotide-Stranded-OCC-Copper-Wire-/250782126516?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&

Anyone tried cable from that seller?
Lets say I want to change it only to one earcup as standard. Not symetric. Is it worth in your opinion?
My second question: what do you think of making shorter cable (lets say 1m and connect it to extension cable, noit directly to headamp. Does that affect negative on sound and I shouldnt bother to replace stock cable? Does that make sense only if I recable it directly to headamp connection?

I've used their Nucleotide wire before and it is by far my favorite wire i have used, Its extremely flexible, easy to work with, has little to none microphonics and looks great. The only thing that has kept me away from using it again is the price. But if you have the money its worth a try.

Mar 18, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #6,440 of 16,312

Quote:
Hey guys, my first cable be nice!

its a 2 mono 1 stereo mini jacks, quad braided canare 4E5C. In preparation for the detachable grado mod.

does it look alright?

kudos! wish my first cables look like that.
which pulgs are those?

Quote:

xtcriott, which cable is that?

Quote:
My first headphone recable!
HD555:

the Vintage Audio Lab plug, must be the best looking plug ever. i have 4 of those comming.

Mar 18, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #6,442 of 16,312

Quote:
More important would be if there is an improvement in the sound??

For myself yes, but for 3 out of 4 of them I was also going from SE to balanced at the same time and noticed more difference then. 

Mar 18, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #6,443 of 16,312

Quote:
Hi!
Im thinking about recabling my beyers dt880pro. I wanted to give a try to jenalabs wire but found it would be too much money total. Then I found such offer on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.pl/Double-Helix-Nucleotide-Stranded-OCC-Copper-Wire-/250782126516?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&

Anyone tried cable from that seller?
Lets say I want to change it only to one earcup as standard. Not symetric. Is it worth in your opinion?
My second question: what do you think of making shorter cable (lets say 1m and connect it to extension cable, noit directly to headamp. Does that affect negative on sound and I shouldnt bother to replace stock cable? Does that make sense only if I recable it directly to headamp connection?

Quote:
Try.
And if you can reliably detect any diiferences I'll give you a cookie.

Quote:
I'll double his offer to two cookies.

Quote:
I have bought a few pre-made headphone cables from double helix over the years, they are a reliable seller and they have their own website as well. Quality products and quick shipping.

Quote:

I've used their Nucleotide wire before and it is by far my favorite wire i have used, Its extremely flexible, easy to work with, has little to none microphonics and looks great. The only thing that has kept me away from using it again is the price. But if you have the money its worth a try.

If anyone here can match the care and craftsmanship that seemingly go into these DHC cables, using the same components, for less than the asking price, I'll give them free reign to raid my PayPal account. I've been burnt by a prominent DIYer here and can almost justify the added expense of these boutique cables for the peace of mind.

Mar 18, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #6,444 of 16,312
I've got DoubleHelixCable's Nucleotide 24awg UP-OCC copper wire in my ATH-ESW9A, rewired by Pete of DoubleHelixCables and it sounds much nicer than the stock cable. I've also had that cable in some other rewired phones and can say I like it.

Mar 18, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #6,445 of 16,312
I've been out of DIY for a while and what would you call oxygen free continious cast copper wire if it is only a single strand of magnet wire? What about continiuosly extruded like the Western Electric stuff with the paper cover called Celonese from days gone past when they twisted a pair of different guage for speaker cable, got some off a WE speaker used for a projector by the military of all things. Celonese is the of all things. It looks like it could be silk or something but it is paper. I have spools of wire and the Vampire magnet wire makes good interconnects, I have made speaker cables out of the WE stuff, all these using a braid called a Litz, which for speaker cables you supposedly don't want to use them on SS gear because of capacitance. Could be fairy tales for all I know. Both wires sound good in the right place, like for point to point under the chassis I would use the Vampire for signal wire while the WE in the PS, just because it seems the right way to do things. Braiding is fine as long as it doesn't add or take away anything you don't want or do. But hey, I don't think skin effect is everything or we could use plated steel, so I think for plugs gold over copper ought to be better than gold over brass because there is tin mixed into the copper, but then what about the tin in solder,(?) or do you like silver, only how pure, what kind of solder, silver plugs,(?) but maybe gold plated so there is no oxidizing but supposedly that isn't as bad with silver but is death by signal loss for copper, unless you tin it, am I going crazy or is the world of audio gone mad?
I noticed that we are not allowed to use bad words in any posts. Is there a list of these bad words posted somewhere so that we can know for sure, are they the 7 words that George Carlin told us about something like 40 years ago? Do we use our own judgement, can we type words that truly mean exactly what the supposedly bad word means only it isn't exactly the bad word? Did the flames roar so hot in this place that we are to be treated like 5th graders when it comes to language. What about the names of some of the female characters in the James Bond movies? Double meanings?WEll, Trump is about to be roasted, unfortunatly it isn't past midnight and some of the words will be bleeped out, some of the words are from old English and have meant the same thing for about a thousand years and are in the Oxford Dictionary of the English Language. Maybe we should write a letter to the editor. The English speaking English the same way for so long, not on this board they don't. Talley Ho!
                                               Thatch

Mar 19, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #6,447 of 16,312
Is there a tip or easy method to get the Techflex started on to a cable? It's almost like you need 3 hands. I've only used it once and had a heck of a time getting it open enough to go over the end of the cable without it fraying and I'm making a power cord so I hope to have an easier time. Thanks.

Mar 19, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #6,448 of 16,312

Quote:

For myself yes, but for 3 out of 4 of them I was also going from SE to balanced at the same time and noticed more difference then. 

The difference between SE to balanced is right but I hope the the balanced ground of the Concerto will catch this :)

Mar 19, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #6,449 of 16,312

Quote:
Is there a tip or easy method to get the Techflex started on to a cable? It's almost like you need 3 hands. I've only used it once and had a heck of a time getting it open enough to go over the end of the cable without it fraying and I'm making a power cord so I hope to have an easier time. Thanks.

What I've done is cut techflex with a heated (see held over the stove) razor blade.  This served two purposes: to cut the techflex to an appropriate length and also melt adjacent strands together to minimize--if not eliminate--its tendency to fray.  Give this a try on some scrap lengths.  I think you'll find this works very well.  From here you just need to "inch-worm" it onto your cable of choice.  

The process will become much more enjoyable, PLUS you get to play with fire! 
wink.gif

EDIT:  oh yeah, be sure to hold the razor blade with pliers lol

Mar 19, 2011 at 8:29 AM Post #6,450 of 16,312
thanks james! they're just some standard neutrik mono mini plugs. nothing fancy. to be honest if someone could show me some really nice quality mono mini plugs i'm in.

now heres my 2 cents on the double helix cable. i have them in an LOD with what looks like a switchcraft mini plug. and its nice.. pretty decent sounding, a little warm and bassy. have what you will... i think they're decent cables nonetheless..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back