Dive deeper into legendary sound. Let’s meet the HD 660S2
Feb 9, 2023 at 6:10 AM Post #61 of 181
Neumann Ndh-30
It is an unexpected luck for us that a pro-oriented maker decided to give its flagship headphone such a fine balance. Not the usual dry or treble-hot tuning of many pro-headphones but a full, complete, reference level audio spectrum. Combined with its tremendous resolution and very low distortion gives absolute enjoyment and musical insight. Its a Sennheiser driven headphone, anyway, in a 90% Sennheiser shell!

Feb 9, 2023 at 6:34 AM Post #62 of 181
Yes, you’re quite correct. I’ve edited my original post!
And I should have known that my post as originally worded was inaccurate as I used to own some HD560 Ovation II’s! 😉
I picked up a pair recently and refurbed them. They're very good, how could you have forgotten them? :astonished:

Feb 9, 2023 at 7:55 AM Post #64 of 181
Good question. Sold them long ago after I bought the 580 Precision when it came out!
Interesting choice. I much prefer the ovation II to my 600

Feb 9, 2023 at 8:17 AM Post #67 of 181
HD-1000...?
Sorry guys, couldn't help it! :smile:

@Sennheiser We are very hard to satisfy!
None of the good stuff comes easy. I love it here and wouldn't change it for the world. If you never get feedback your products stay developed in a vacuum.
@ericpalonen I have a question. Will the HD660S be discontinued now that the ‘2’ is out?

I note that Sennheiser has never officially brought out a version 2 of a 6, 7, or 8 series headphone before (to my knowledge). I believe that the 660S was supposed to replace the 650 but that Sennheiser changed their minds about discontinuing the 650 due to popular demand for the 650 (or due to the horrified reaction of enthusiasts who saw the 660S as a sideways step at best).

So, what headphones will be in the Sennheiser 6 series line up now? Will they all continue, or will one or more of them be dropped?
Original HD 660S goes away gradually, and fully supported with parts and warranty of course. Still a great value for those looking for that sound.

The 600 and 650 stay. Narrative, rhetoric, speculation, and paranoia aside, we have access to the real sales numbers and across the world these are beloved headphones that continue to sell well and serve a purpose in the enthusiast market.
We need a high quality full size open back headphone very easy to drive. Not everyone wants to use a proper headphone amplifier.
Thank you for the feedback.

Last edited:
Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Feb 9, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #68 of 181
None of the good stuff comes easy. I love it here and wouldn't change it for the world. If you never get feedback your products stay developed in a vacuum.

Original HD 660S goes away gradually, and fully supported with parts and warranty of course. Still a great value for those looking for that sound.

The 600 and 650 stay. Narrative, rhetoric, speculation, and paranoia aside, we have access to the real sales numbers and across the world these are beloved headphones that continue to sell well in server purpose in the enthusiast market.

Thank you for the feedback.
I don't mind the 660S going away, and the 650 and 600 staying. There is a reason for that (e.g.: scaling, getting more things right without doing too many things wrong).
Those who want an easy-to-drive headphone without a need for a DAC/amp combo might as well listen to compact stereos or sensitive IEMs. I am yet to hear a good heaphone that does not benefit from a decent setup. And I'd rather enjoy the luxury of listening to music alone for shorter periods of time than having something over my head whenever and wherever, budget and portability being the reason for the demand mostly. This would also explain why I have the HD540 Reference Gold and HD250 Linear I, both 600Ohms, in my setup at home. There are technically better headphones out there, but I find they take me closer to the music when properly served in a good setup. Which makes me curious as part of the Senn crowd of the 660S2, or, since we are on a popular request trip, even an S3 in a 600Ohm version. :)

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #69 of 181
Unfortunetaly I can't relate to some complaints here, I Never had a bass problem with any Sennheiser, I always use EQ. And after EQ, no other headphones can compare.
but I guess the 660S2 is for the many people who never heard about EQ.
EQ to fix problems? Dumb. Make no problems to begin with.

Feb 9, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #71 of 181
which problem? perfect bass level is a preference thing. very subjective. its like salt in food. there is no one size fits all. EQ is the best solution.
If you didn't notice, even in the different songs you listen to, the bass does vary, strongly due to the different master engineers's interpretation of what perfect bass level should be. there is no way around it, we all have different preferences, especially for bass level.

Feb 9, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #72 of 181
I was interested until I heard the price, and the ETA Mini-S. That's the bar to beat now at this price point.

Feb 9, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #73 of 181
Glad I was able to pick up a 660S on the cheap last year. Using mine mostly for movies and gaming, I love that they are easy to drive from a portable bluetooth amp.

I never would have paid anywhere near $600 for them, though.

Feb 9, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #74 of 181
@ericpalonen thanks for your previous response and involvement in this thread. I was wondering about the drivers on the 660S and 660S2. I apologise if this has been answered on the other 660S2 thread, but I’ve already read contradictory statements about the nature and performance of the drivers. Am I correct in thinking that the driver in the 660S2 is not new, but a re-working of the driver in the 660S (which itself came from the 700)? Also the THD figures are the same for both drivers according to the Sennheiser site, but some say that the 660S2 driver has less distortion. Others say that the 660S2 has more distortion in the bass (probably as a result of, or to achieve, the increased bass response - as is the case with the HD800S vs the HD 800). I’d be interested in the facts concerning these two points.

Feb 9, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #75 of 181
which problem? perfect bass level is a preference thing. very subjective. its like salt in food. there is no one size fits all. EQ is the best solution.
Or trained ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back