DITA - The Answer (Truth Edition).
Apr 15, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #121 of 1,451
I really hope more people follow it up, I admire the sound and love it, I am also going to be its hardest critic because I want them to improve, they have potential and the designers have the ears and the patient to design an even better IEM.

Apr 17, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #122 of 1,451
Having been listening to the Truth for a few days, it left me wondering if achieving this level of sound quality is achievable by an iem with a not-so-large dynamic driver, why on earth haven't anyone done it (or anything similar) before? I mean there ARE big name players in the field who up to today still concentrates on their dynamic driver phones (Senn, Beyer for example) but none tried to squeeze out the best potential of their dynamic driver technology in their in-ears............IE800 WAS the best they tried to offer but come on surely they can do better?

While I understand fully the need to protect their commercial interests, I'd really REALLY appreciate it if Dita can offer at least a bit about the magical hoodoo they did to the dynamic driver technology that's been around for so many tens of years. The SQ leap from the level of say IE800 or MG to the Dita is almost unthinkable................I'm curious. VERY curious. Unfortunately Dita's info on the hp and the booklet in the package doesn't help at all.

And a less important question (but still nags me a tiny bit) is what's its place of origin? I know Dita is from Singapore but where are the iems produced?

Curious.....................very curious indeed..................

Apr 17, 2014 at 4:07 AM Post #123 of 1,451
And a less important question (but still nags me a tiny bit) is what's its place of origin? I know Dita is from Singapore but where are the iems produced?

When I talked to Danny, he said Ditas are produced in China because it's the only place left with the machinery to make them (particularly the milling for the Dita's "stem" that holds the silicon tips). But the design team is based here in Singapore.

Apr 19, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #124 of 1,451
Just had a listen to these (the Answer edition), amongst many other IEMs.

And coming from the ASG2, se846 (and stuff like the w4r/535 previously), these have perhaps the most natural but detailed sound I've heard. The vocals sound amazingly real, more so than the W4Rs and ASG2s which previously held the 1st and 2nd positions for me in terms of reproducing vocals realistically yet enjoyably. Guitars also sound really good perhaps on par with my se846 - the reverb of each string (especially the bass strings) is what really does it for me. 

Not to mention ergonomically rivalling the w4rs with it's slim profile and easy fit. I can imagine lying down sideways with these on. 

Suffice to say, these are my newest IEMs (after my se846) and I'm really really liking them atm. :)

Apr 19, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #125 of 1,451
Another new and unmentionably happy owner of The Answer, in Singapore.

I really have to hand it to the Singaporean gentlemen who created these beauties, they look amazing, sound impossibly good, and blow pretty much every other IEM I've heard out of the water (to my tastes). For the whole week I was searching for a suitable upgrade to my humble GR07, and after ALMOST buying a Sennheiser IE80, I stopped by a small local shop (E1 audio, lovely place!) to see if I had any other options available to me, and sure enough they did.

I tried both the Truth and standard Answer (which I ended up purchasing) and I can say that the sonic signature between the two differs mainly in the soundstage and the bass, I found that the Truth possessed a greater mid-bass impact, and a more lush, warm sound, and perhaps a more intimate soundstage. The Answer on the other hand was less impactful in terms of mid-bass, and seemed to have a wider less intimate presentation. Personally I enjoyed the standard more than the Truth, the bass hit closer to neutral on the Answer than the Truth, and I enjoy a wider soundstage. 

Again as reiterated by so many, the natural sound and impressive clarity will be the two aspects that initially keep you around, but the sheer "perfection" that these IEM's achieve in all other aspects is mind-blowing. If you come from using multi BA IEM's you may be shocked at the width and preciseness of the soundstage, it is something I hadn't experienced in anything other than Over Ear cans and perhaps some Final Audio IEM's. Compared to an CIEM like the Heir 8.A the clarity is astounding, it easily beats out any other headphone or IEM I have owned or currently own, I literally just heard the drummer in Franz Ferdinand cough in the middle of a song, and the muting of multiple individual guitars in a very fast Japanese rock song. Drums are spot on here, no unnatural sounding snares with no shimmer, no bloated kick drums, and tight and accurate bass reproduction. Not bassy enough to incite headbanging, but a flat natural bass, with very natural decay.

To summarise, this is the sound signature;
Clean, natural sound.
Very fast and accurate, no muddiness (so far).
Wide WIDE soundstage.  
Flat sound signature, with the Truth having a more prominent mid-bass.
No recessed mids, nor any treble peaks. 

Overall I have nothing but praise for these IEMs, and the two different options available cater to quite a wide range of sound preferences. Keep in mind these are still initial impressions, and I'm sure after a little more brain burn-in these impressions can change, but so far this is what I've heard. Hope this helps someone!

Side note: Playing around with the different sized bores on the tips also expand the range of sound signatures possible to these IEM's, I do recommend rolling the tips around.

Apr 19, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #126 of 1,451
At first the mid-bass got me a little worried but a short-while later I realised the reason why Dita sounds is so natural and engaging is because of that particular clever tuning of the mid-bass. 

Apr 19, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #127 of 1,451
  Another new and unmentionably happy owner of The Answer, in Singapore.

I really have to hand it to the Singaporean gentlemen who created these beauties, they look amazing, sound impossibly good, and blow pretty much every other IEM I've heard out of the water (to my tastes). For the whole week I was searching for a suitable upgrade to my humble GR07, and after ALMOST buying a Sennheiser IE80, I stopped by a small local shop (E1 audio, lovely place!) to see if I had any other options available to me, and sure enough they did.

I tried both the Truth and standard Answer (which I ended up purchasing) and I can say that the sonic signature between the two differs mainly in the soundstage and the bass, I found that the Truth possessed a greater mid-bass impact, and a more lush, warm sound, and perhaps a more intimate soundstage. The Answer on the other hand was less impactful in terms of mid-bass, and seemed to have a wider less intimate presentation. Personally I enjoyed the standard more than the Truth, the bass hit closer to neutral on the Answer than the Truth, and I enjoy a wider soundstage. 

Again as reiterated by so many, the natural sound and impressive clarity will be the two aspects that initially keep you around, but the sheer "perfection" that these IEM's achieve in all other aspects is mind-blowing. If you come from using multi BA IEM's you may be shocked at the width and preciseness of the soundstage, it is something I hadn't experienced in anything other than Over Ear cans and perhaps some Final Audio IEM's. Compared to an CIEM like the Heir 8.A the clarity is astounding, it easily beats out any other headphone or IEM I have owned or currently own, I literally just heard the drummer in Franz Ferdinand cough in the middle of a song, and the muting of multiple individual guitars in a very fast Japanese rock song. Drums are spot on here, no unnatural sounding snares with no shimmer, no bloated kick drums, and tight and accurate bass reproduction. Not bassy enough to incite headbanging, but a flat natural bass, with very natural decay.

Clean, natural sound.
Wide WIDE soundstage.  

Overall I have nothing but praise for these IEMs, and the two different options available cater to quite a wide range of sound preferences. Keep in mind these are still initial impressions, and I'm sure after a little more brain burn-in these impressions can change, but so far this is what I've heard. Hope this helps someone!

Side note: Playing around with the different sized bores on the tips also expand the range of sound signatures possible to these IEM's, I do recommend rolling the tips around.

I think we were in the same shop! Bought the last set shortly after you did. 

And I think your impressions are spot on. Also preferred The Answer as I found the cable more ergonomic and the sound wider and fuller. 

Apr 19, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #128 of 1,451

I think we were in the same shop! Bought the last set shortly after you did. 

And I think your impressions are spot on. Also preferred The Answer as I found the cable more ergonomic and the sound wider and fuller. 

Haha! What a coincidence! Glad my impressions made some sense, I wasn't sure if I was hearing the difference between the Truth and Answer correctly, but thanks for confirming!

Apr 19, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #129 of 1,451
Which tips do everyone prefer? I've got the blue (narrowest nozzle) on at the moment.

Apr 19, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #132 of 1,451
Honestly the differences are really small
smily_headphones1.gif
The ergonomics were my main reason for choosing the answer (and of course the price haha).

Yep, took a good while of A/Bing to figure out what was different, plus the cable braided cable was a little to stiff. And price. Always price :D

Which tips do everyone prefer? I've got the blue (narrowest nozzle) on at the moment.

Same here, narrow nozzle, smallest size. 

Apr 19, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #134 of 1,451
I had a bit of trouble getting a seal on many of the included tips (need the largest size for this nozzle length, and it seemed like some largest tips weren't consistently large for all core sizes. - e.g. smaller for the blue core one).
The varying shapes and hardness of the silicon tip material made it hard to get a consistent fit between the tip types as well,
i.e. it was hard to do tip rolling IF for me as I have a larger outer ear canal size.

The ones that gave me the best fit (grey ones and ebay red core large bore ones) were slightly too too happy on 7khz and 10khz. (again largest bore). I do think I'm overly sensitive to both ranges, so maybe most people would prefer one bore size up.

For the blue core one (smallest diameter) I had the most pleasing sound to my liking (the smallest bore, the largest tips for that type), but the seal kept breaking when on the go, or depending on temp and humidity. (wish they included an even larger blue tip one). The blue ones, might also take off a bit of the mids sparkle that I like
from what I understand as long as you get a seal, the smallest bore should give you the tamest highs e.g. last chart on http://cymbacavum.com/2014/03/26/sonions-acupass-technology-making-things-easier-for-everyone/2/

ps normal edition.

Clean, natural sound.
Wide WIDE soundstage.

that matches my impressions for the blue tips.

I think the mids were amazing both in amount and detail, and something I'd never heard in a DD based IEM before.
and overall it managed to sound slightly u-shaped vs neutral, possibly due to the mid-bass and extra tip dependent treble crispness I heard

The wideness of the sound was remarkable but I'm not sure if everyone would like it. I got used to it pretty quickly

>I am also going to be its hardest critic because I want them to improve, they have potential and the designers have the ears and the patient to design an even better IEM.

speaking of .
three things I couldn't get used to were: (four if you count wanting to get more largest tips than included :D)
a) not a big fan of Fat Cable for portable use for the Normal edition of the Answer. It affected being able to keep the seal, being able to wear it over the ear (it just won't stay in place :D) . I did find a shirt clip to fit it, but for brisk walking it's still not perfect. (best for critical listening :| ? )
b) non removal cable (and yes it's really sturdy, but no probably not sturdy enough if your friends' cat eats it or if you catch a really sharp corner. accidents do happen) . Would also let us roll the cable for ergonomics if it had a standard plug (e.g. MMCX)
c) prominent mid-bass. <- I think a couple of people pointed that out. Comparing to H300 - H300 feels like it lacks a bit of mid-bass impact at times, and the Answer feels like it can use a bit of a sub-bass boost. could say it's a design or user preference for a more natural sound but overall I'd probably take H300 for the bass.

Apr 19, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #135 of 1,451
I think the mids were 
speaking of .
three things I couldn't get used to were: (four if you count wanting to get more largest tips than included
biggrin.gif
)
a) not a big fan of Fat Cable for portable use for the Normal edition of the Answer. It affected being able to keep the seal, being able to wear it over the ear (it just won't stay in place
biggrin.gif
) . I did find a shirt clip to fit it, but for brisk walking it's still not perfect. (best for critical listening :| ? )
b) non removal cable (and yes it's really sturdy, but no probably not sturdy enough if your friends' cat eats it or if you catch a really sharp corner. accidents do happen)
c) prominent mid-bass. <- I think a couple of people pointed that out. Comparing to H300 - H300 feels like it lacks a bit of mid-bass impact at times, and the Answer feels like it can use a bit of a sub-bass boost. could say it's a design or user preference for a more natural sound but overall I'd probably take H300 for the bass.

Here is the answer that I have came up with.

a)Cable will likely to be modified with their future IEM, it is their first attempt in making an IEM and I am willing to live with it. Although I do not have a problem as I wear mine over my neck. The cable itself is very light the issue we are having with the cable is the protecting coating which is thick. I think the reason why they used such a coating is to ensure the IEM cable does not pick up any noise. I am sure with future technology we will see better protecting coating used on IEM in general.

b) Including a removable cable mean the IEM housing design had to be changed greatly. This certainly would have meant the sound will alter. I believe in now day and age IEM should all come with removal cable, it almost will be truly heart breaking to buy an expensive gear only for it to become useless due to simple IEM issue. But following the AKG argument I am guessing they assumed if people are buying expensive gear they are going to be really careful on how they use it.

c)Here is where I am different to other people. I do notice the mid-bass but it is not something that is badly implemented. So far I have not meet any particular cases where the mid-bass had influence my musical experience negatively. It is done just right in my view and it is nicely complements the rest of the sound. It is very hard to design dynamic IEM as there is really nothing much you can do to tune the sound beside making drastic design changes on the dynamic driver itself. Unlike BA IEM where difference cross-over design can change the sound with DD things are much harder. This is why I am okay with their house sound and I am hoping they release another side grade brother for their truth edition. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back