Disillusioned with Maxim model pics
Jul 30, 2006 at 3:35 AM Post #61 of 71
Considering 2/3 of Americans are overweight/obese I think it's about time the mags and fashion industries started to reflect reality to some extent. I personally will be happy when mags are filled with women who have a bit of curvature to them. Maybe it's just me but these racks of bones they call fashion models do nothing for me. I thought the pic Lini posed was great.

Women come in all shapes and sizes and and holding any one shape as the 'ideal' is silly, especially when it's so artificial and cannot be sustained without great effort. Women should be enjoyed in all their shapes and all shapes should be represented. Maybe then the vast majority of the women they are pushing their overpriced wares on would be able to relax and identify better with what they are supposed to believe in. Consider the benefits they would reap, instead of spending billions on weight loss crap that doesn't work they could instead be spending all that cash on clothing... if only they were represented. Unrealistic ideals help no-one.

Jul 30, 2006 at 3:45 AM Post #62 of 71
geeze i dont think the op hates all fat women

think about if you are hiring at a business and you look at the resume of someone who appears to be highly intelligent and is a good leader.

A couple months down the road he hasnt done anything and is a horrible leader.

The way many of you responded is that its ok and you are shallow because you think you should fire the worker.

No one is putting a gun to the models head to exploit them sheesh

Jul 30, 2006 at 3:54 AM Post #63 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy
Considering 2/3 of Americans are overweight/obese I think it's about time the mags and fashion industries started to reflect reality to some extent. I personally will be happy when mags are filled with women who have a bit of curvature to them. Maybe it's just me but these racks of bones they call fashion models do nothing for me. I thought the pic Lini posed was great.

Women come in all shapes and sizes and and holding any one shape as the 'ideal' is silly, especially when it's so artificial and cannot be sustained without great effort. Women should be enjoyed in all their shapes and all shapes should be represented. Maybe then the vast majority of the women they are pushing their overpriced wares on would be able to relax and identify better with what they are supposed to believe in. Consider the benefits they would reap, instead of spending billions on weight loss crap that doesn't work they could instead be spending all that cash on clothing... if only they were represented. Unrealistic ideals help no-one.

The "ideal" body-type is exceptional because it IS difficult to achieve, and takes singular effort/genetics to become that way. Putting half-hearted efforts into diet and exercise and then cursing model-figures as unattainable is tantamount to a slacker who spends his time loafing around instead of studying accusing college admissions of being "unattainable ideals."

The truth is, these body types ARE attainable, but require significant dedication and work...just like ANYTHING ELSE IN LIFE one would want to become superlative at. A few summers ago I cut down to 8% bodyfat and had rippling 8-pack abs. Was it easy? Hell no, the months of dieting still ranks among the hardest things I've ever accomplished.

Of course the "ideal" skinny body-type of today's culture will be unattainable for those who eat cake and hotdogs all day, and have no discipline when it comes to diet and exercise; that's common sense. There is no way I would practice swimming half-heartedly for an hour a month and then when I didn't qualify for the Olympics, accuse the Olympics of being "unnattainable." If you want to be exceptional at something, you better be ready to put in the work.

Jul 30, 2006 at 6:35 AM Post #64 of 71
I am a female and I don’t think AC1 is being unreasonable for expecting the model to look good. Isn’t that what models do? Help sell merchandise with their looks?
In no way I took the original post as an insult to all females, even though his language was less than kind, it’s obvious to me that his complaints are valid for marketing purposes. Sad but true.

I love the Dove ad campaign, it’s about time women of all shapes and sizes are portrayed as being beautiful. It’s more realistic and I applaud Dove for their approach; unfortunately, not all people (including women) want to see a pregnant woman advertising body lotion. Two women I know have told me they found the commercial “gross” and both of them are mothers!
blink.gif

If two otherwise sane females have been brainwashed by the media into thinking all women are supposed to look like models all the time, I can see how some fat and ugly boys would expect beautiful women to fall at their feet, begging them for loooove…
rolleyes.gif
*hahaha* these delusions only lead to disappointment and it’s best to appreciate natural beauty that comes from within.

Those who prefer physical perfection like the op, would probably be better off using a mannequin.
wink.gif

Jul 30, 2006 at 7:41 AM Post #65 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by iGig
Those who prefer physical perfection like the op, would probably be better off using a mannequin.
wink.gif

The pictures with mannequins are cold, lifeless, and impersonal. They totally DISGUST me, what, with their headless bodys.
tongue.gif

All kidding aside, we have had mannequins before, and our testing has shown that people respond better to a true body form. While mannequins have physical perfection, it is about the look created that people are attracted to. The comment about the model was not disappointing just becuase of her size. That was only one aspect of it, but really it was her whole appearence and "look" that was deceiving to what she had in her portfolio.

Jul 30, 2006 at 7:58 AM Post #66 of 71
I believe you AC1, send those pics to the agent and they should send you a new model, along with an apology. When you said she was "bursting out" of the bigger size clothes I couldn't help thinking that blubber doesn't sell clothes.
I do feel bad for the girl though, I hope she gets herself in shape or finds another line of work.
frown.gif

Jul 30, 2006 at 11:18 AM Post #67 of 71
I agree with iGig....and Edwood...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Prepare to be disillusioned even more with celebs. My favorite is "Celebrities without Makeup."
-Ed

Ugg..I didn't want to mention this for fear of looking like I was bragging and smug, but this is a perfect example to prove Edwood's point:

The girl I went to prom with was an actress...

....but I didn't know that when I asked her!
biggrin.gif

I had already asked 3 other girls to prom, but they all rejected me (ya...I suck).

Then I asked a sophomore... and she said enthusiastically said yes.

I knew practically NOTHING about her... I asked her because she was in my Current Events club, that I was president of, and I knew she kinda wanted to go to prom.......I really did not find her that pretty. She was kinda overweight and had lots of zits, but I was desperate.

...so (after she said yes) I Googled her name... and the first thing that came up was a site on the IMDB!!!!!.........and a GORGEOUS headshot!
tongue.gif
....it made her look REALLY hot.

She had been in alot of TV sitcoms and in 3 movies...THAT I HAD ALL SEEN....but I did not recognize her at school!!!
tongue.gif

So yes, celebrities look different in person.

Jul 30, 2006 at 12:16 PM Post #69 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
Thin is in now - so what? 'Fat' had its run, what, 50 or so years ago? So what about those poor women with inherently high metabolic rates (that would have done well today) who lived in the 50s?

Agreed. "Sarah Plain and Tall" could aspire to be "Sarah International Supermodel" in the 00's. My exposure to the fashion/modeling world comes from random episodes of Project Runway (serious guilty pleasure), and 90% of those girls have absolutely no curves. Maybe half of them are even "cute" but that's because half of them are well under 18 and still have some baby fat around their cheeks. The older ones have the caved in cheeks that make them look downright horrible.

Jul 30, 2006 at 4:07 PM Post #70 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Czilla9000
I had already asked 3 other girls to prom, but they all rejected me (ya...I suck).

Then I asked a sophomore... and she said enthusiastically said yes.

Nice, well thanks for sharing the story.

It sounds like fate to me, it was meant to be.
biggrin.gif
LOL

Jul 30, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #71 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zowbombs
The "ideal" body-type is exceptional because it IS difficult to achieve, and takes singular effort/genetics to become that way. Putting half-hearted efforts into diet and exercise and then cursing model-figures as unattainable is tantamount to a slacker who spends his time loafing around instead of studying accusing college admissions of being "unattainable ideals."

The truth is, these body types ARE attainable, but require significant dedication and work...just like ANYTHING ELSE IN LIFE one would want to become superlative at. A few summers ago I cut down to 8% bodyfat and had rippling 8-pack abs. Was it easy? Hell no, the months of dieting still ranks among the hardest things I've ever accomplished.

Of course the "ideal" skinny body-type of today's culture will be unattainable for those who eat cake and hotdogs all day, and have no discipline when it comes to diet and exercise; that's common sense. There is no way I would practice swimming half-heartedly for an hour a month and then when I didn't qualify for the Olympics, accuse the Olympics of being "unnattainable." If you want to be exceptional at something, you better be ready to put in the work.

Quoted for truth. I maintain my body by eating right and working out regularly. I enjoy working out, and I enjoy the health benefits. It really annoys me when someone claims that being obese is a normal, healthy, attractive state. It's not. Many of my friends, both male and female, claim that they eat healthily, but that "my genetics make me the way I am", or "society puts unrealistic expectations on us". I like my friends a lot, but often I'll go out to lunch with them and they'll order cheese sticks, a double cheddar bacon burger, and fries, then order a diet cola and complain in exasperated tones that "I'm still not losing weight!". I just have to shake my head and wonder what they're thinking. When I suggest they try regular low intensity exercise (even as simple as walking) and eating six smaller meals a day, the response I generally get is that exercise is too tiring and that they want to be able to "eat the foods I like". The truth is, once you start, exercise is energizing and enjoyable, and you can still eat the foods you like, just in appropriate portions. I think our societal trend of saying "obesity isn't a problem!" is a result of people looking for an instant, no effort fix to their problems, an inability or unwillingness to limit portion sizes, and a tendency to blame their weight problems on anything or anyone but themselves. Now, don't get me wrong, some of these models are anything but healthy. I agree that the whole "starve yourself into a stick" trend amonst actresses and models is just as unhealthy as the "being obese is great" trend, but when people start claiming that looking fit is "unattainable" and "unrealistic", we have a problem.

End of rant.
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back