Disillusioned with Maxim model pics
Jul 29, 2006 at 4:44 PM Post #31 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
genetic,

I know it was funny, but it was sort of mean spirited you know... Just because they are jumping to conclusions anda ttacking me, doesn't need i need to act out i guess.

In summary:
I don't like fat women? I've dated alto of them... What on earth do you know a bout me? Get real. Fatties get plenty of love, they don't belong on the runway in this world. sorry.(comment on that one then)

LOL...Dont feel bad about this. Its quite funny. Now I suppose we'll all have to apologize for looking at nice looking girls. Sure we all know that only men are looking at the Brad Pitts of this world....

I could go on, but I dont want to be run over by Zena our «Prejudice Warrior».
wink.gif

Amicalement

Jul 29, 2006 at 5:02 PM Post #33 of 71
In all fairness to the female members of our board;

Let's be honest - men fixate on looks a LOT more than women. Women's magazines are filled with pictures of women. But then agan, so are men's magazines.
wink.gif

Coincidence, I think not? Personally I think that ugly women have it the worst in this world. Certainly far more so than ugly men. Sad, but true IMO.

Jul 29, 2006 at 5:03 PM Post #34 of 71
OK...let's dial it down a notch or two...

WRT the OP, there is a certain expectation when one makes their living in the pretty people business. There's a given reality that (with some exceptions) when one hires a model they have certain expectations. Not the least of which is that the person pays attention to those things upon which he or she makes his/her living.

It's no different IMHO than the salesperson who can't be bothered to learn his product, or the pro athlete who doesn't want to do what is necessary to keep in shape. It's unprofessional...plain and simple.

My brother used to do some modeling, and he had to work VERY hard to keep in proper physical condition. He never considered it to be unfair, or stigmatizing, or anything other than what it was: a job, with certain required "skills" (ability to get into and stay in good physical condition) if you will.

Like it or not, the advertiser is looking for a certain image. If you have that certain look, they will pay you to model. It's not necessary IMHO to get all bunched up about the shallowness of it all - the models know their side of the bargain going in. Oh, and as someone already noted, it's not all about women...men have to make the same sacrifices.

Jul 29, 2006 at 5:27 PM Post #35 of 71
I don't have any time for people like the OP, it's an industry that thrives on exploitation (of both genders, I said as much but apparently it didn't get read) so to come here and complain about it doesn't get my sympathy, more the opposite. But mjg implied there was no need for plus-size models when that's just not true. I know what the word model means, and there are the stereotypical close hanger types and the plus size type, and some even in between. Because YOU have no need for something doesn't speak for the rest of the world in reality. The plus size models get enough work to make a living, so there must be a need. That's not me taking some idealist stance, it's just true. To imply that it's otherwise in your universe gives us a sneak peak at your prejudices, whether you meant to go there or not.

And Genetic, what was that about, taking some picture of a woman implying.. what are you implying anyway, other than to belittle someone? Just say what you mean.

I think this thread is better suited to a fashion forum or a pro-anorexia site. If the question was just whether or not photo manip is used - well DUH, don't you already know the answer?

And to think this is the one of the few places (outside the fashion world of course, where they stand to profit from it) where to state these things is somehow controversial. In other parts of the world, it's like saying the obvious.

Jul 29, 2006 at 5:43 PM Post #36 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
That's not me taking some idealist stance, it's just true. To imply that it's otherwise in your universe gives us a sneak peak at your prejudices, whether you meant to go there or not.

Your strict views on how we should all think and have value for is just another form of prejudice you are putting on us.
You are close to saying that we should accept being deceived since we are not suppose to have expectations of how a woman looks even if she advertises as such? That just makes no sense.

Jul 29, 2006 at 5:46 PM Post #37 of 71
I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that the dove campaign picture is heavily photoshopped as well. Yeah the women may not be typical models, but it's a marketing ploy...it gets people taling and they praise dove for their daringness to use "bigger women"...it's all about selling your product and making money, I doubt they're sincerely trying to send a message about todays media and it's effects of self image...

Jul 29, 2006 at 5:50 PM Post #38 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by setmenu
I can understand AC1's point, in the commercial world models are just that,
models, they have to be correct for the job in hand.
To an outsider looking in things can seem a bit insensitive at times.
Though why post your complaints here? [outside of making an interesting thread]
It would seem a modeling/photography forum would be more appropriate?

This was not meant to be about complaining or trying to find some solution. And especially not trying to get any sympathy or anything like that. This was purely to make an interesting thread as you stated.
I thought this was something guys who read Maxim, etc would be able to relate to. And since Head-fi is diverse some people might have some insight into the manipulation part of it or have some good stories.

Jul 29, 2006 at 5:58 PM Post #39 of 71
I think it's unrealistic for people to think that women in magazines actually look like their photos. Magazines are out to sell as many copies as possible and are essentially products designed to look their best which includes airbrushing and doctoring the photos they contain.

However, when a model sends you her portfolio, you have every right to expect her to look that way in real life. For a model, a portfolio is akin to a resume and should represent her exactly as is. If someone was applying for a business position, you would expect their resume to be accurate with respect to their qualifications and capabilities.

Jul 29, 2006 at 6:13 PM Post #41 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by setmenu
With all this photoshopping etc that goes on to create the perfect plastic women seen in many photos, why bother with starting a human in the first place?

Give it time and we will be seeing:

http://www.daz3d.com/shop.php?op=ite...tem=1779&cat=8

These doll models can be distorted to ones hearts content....

wink.gif

(shudder)
woah, total uncanny valley right there. i'm so weirded out.

Jul 29, 2006 at 6:27 PM Post #42 of 71
Plainsong, I think you're missing the entire point of this thread. The industry is what it is... This thread is about false advertising. The pictures that they were given are supposed to represent what the girl looks like. When she got there, she looked nothing like those pics. This would be similar to you buying a car that advertised 40 MPG when in reality it got 30 MPG. There's a big disparity there, and the buyer has a right to complain about it. It doesn't matter that 30 MPG is still pretty good, the buyer bought a car that they were told got 40 MPG. This situation is no different. The pictures show that she's supposed to look a certain way. If she doesn't, it's false advertising. Take the situation in reverse: Say they were looking for a plus size model and the girl shows up skinny as a rail. Despite the fact that some people may think she looks better really skinny, she no longer fits the citeria of the model they were looking for. They would have every right to complain, and/or not to use the girl.

Jul 29, 2006 at 7:51 PM Post #44 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
WRT the OP, there is a certain expectation when one makes their living in the pretty people business. There's a given reality that (with some exceptions) when one hires a model they have certain expectations. Not the least of which is that the person pays attention to those things upon which he or she makes his/her living. . . . Like it or not, the advertiser is looking for a certain image. If you have that certain look, they will pay you to model. It's not necessary IMHO to get all bunched up about the shallowness of it all - the models know their side of the bargain going in. Oh, and as someone already noted, it's not all about women. . . .men have to make the same sacrifices.

Ah, but the problem is not simply that the original poster is complaining of the model failing to live up to her part of the agreement. It is the somewhat insulting way in which he dealt with the situation, both in real life and on this thread. Before anyone else wrote a word in response, I winced at the following phrases:

"In her Maxim and portfolio pics, she was HOT and slender but the pics we took looked like we picked up some 'crack whore off the street' as one of my coworkers called it. . . . Personally I was grossed out by how she looked in some of the pictures. . . ."

If this were really a matter of a simple business proposition, then why is AC salivating at how "HOT" the woman looked in previous pictures? Why does he sound more like a disappointed blind date than a dissatisfied employer? Am I alone in cringing at the use of the word "HOT" in this context? I can't console myself by making banal reference to some human irritant who happens to be female, like Paris Hilton ("she's a woman and she says it about other women, therefore it must be OK"). The argument doesn't hold, because the remark's reductive sexual context is the problem, not gender, which is a huge red herring.

It doesn't matter whether the worker who dismissed the model as looking like a "crack whore" was male or female -- shallow summations based on appearance issue from both sexes constantly. It is no revelation that this is so -- no need for posters to reiterate the idea endlessly, as if it were a magic incantation that somehow nullified all of Plainsong's arguments. "People can be shallow and fashion is a shallow industry" -- yes, we get it. Perhaps Plainsong's expectation that the entire industry change its modus operandi beginning with AC1 is unrealistic. But it isn't unrealistic that AC1 refrain from telling us he was "grossed out" by the model's physical appearance, as if her lack of physical beauty -- as he defines beauty -- were so distasteful that the model should be kept in a Camp somewhere, out of his sight and out of his suffocating mindset.

Nor is it anything less than offensive when people insult a female poster by suggesting in this thread and others that she is unduly strong-minded or overbearing. The great male insult toward women seems to be to accuse them of being overly self-sufficient, as various campaigns against other women with whom people disagree vociferously (Hillary Clinton, Margaret Atwood, random co-workers, etc.) show repeatedly. To dismiss a woman as Xena is tantamount to using the b-word. Not to dial it up, elrod-tom, but there are less prejudicial ways of attacking a woman's arguments. There are also less offensive ways of criticizing models.

It amazes me is that people continue say "thin is simply fashionable," as if the impossibility of voluptuous thinness for ordinary women were not at the heart of thinness's in-ness. I suspect the advertisers' point is to make a near-unattainable body type desirable and then associate it with easily attainable products. In other words, advertising, the music industry, sports and fashion manipulate the consumer into desiring certain physical characteristics and then employ slogans suggesting the consumer is in control. Hence the cliche of the American "rebel" who believes in advertising archetypes the way ancient Greeks were supposed to believe in Zeus. Hence the futility of assuming that Vogue's emphasis on being thin is due to some natural phenomenon that has its roots in social anthropology. Adorno predicted as much; the culture's merely fulfilling his prophesies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back