Disillusioned with Maxim model pics
Jul 29, 2006 at 11:22 AM Post #16 of 71
AC1: Well, you know, when a man and a woman disappear in the woods and come back out again after a good while with a smile, it can happen that a couple of months later the body of the woman shows drastic, but usually for the most part temporary changes. This is perfectly normal, be assured - and might even happen to supermodels.
wink.gif

Plainsong: Yeah, the skeletons - intended look would be "jump my bones", practical impression is "feed me - I'm starving"....
evil_smiley.gif
There are exceptions, though - like in the recent Dove campaign, which I found quite refreshing:
showbin.htx

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Jul 29, 2006 at 11:49 AM Post #17 of 71
With all this photoshopping etc that goes on to create the perfect plastic women seen in many photos, why bother with starting a human in the first place?

Give it time and we will be seeing:

http://www.daz3d.com/shop.php?op=ite...tem=1779&cat=8

These doll models can be distorted to ones hearts content....

wink.gif

Jul 29, 2006 at 11:51 AM Post #18 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
Plainsong: Yeah, the skeletons - intended look would be "jump my bones", practical impression is "feed me - I'm starving"....
evil_smiley.gif
There are exceptions, though - like in the recent Dove campaign, which I found quite refreshing:
showbin.htx

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

That's funny: the Dove campaign in Hong Kong doesn't look remotely like that -- while we still have a palisade of (Chinese) women in their underwear, all of them have undergone photoshop-butox and photoshop-liposuction.

Jul 29, 2006 at 11:58 AM Post #19 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
AC1: Well, you know, when a man and a woman disappear in the woods and come back out again after a good while with a smile, it can happen that a couple of months later the body of the woman shows drastic, but usually for the most part temporary changes. This is perfectly normal, be assured - and might even happen to supermodels.
wink.gif

evil_smiley.gif
showbin.htx

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Yes, that was a much more realistic ad. But at the end of the day I hope each of us choose a partner based on other than just looks. Heck like a previous poster stated, we are not all "Brad P..."

Jul 29, 2006 at 12:55 PM Post #20 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
Yeah, if your company can't design clothes to fit the average woman, or you don't know how to photograph a living being, don't blame the woman.
blink.gif

Please do not comment on things you have no idea about. The above statement is completely false. Our fit is bigger than a good majority of our competitors which should be an easy fit for most models.
We have a regular model that photos fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
Besides the obvious shallowness of the OP, and yes he can counter with "it's a shallow industry" blah blah blah, but that doesn't fly IMO because nothing is ever done to change it. The objectification continues because it makes you money to do so.

But let's state the obvious: you hire someone site unseen and then are angry that the person doesn't meet expectations? That's won't go down in history as the brightest thing you ever did.

If you want to call me shallow, that is your choice and I am fine with that.
However everything else is your agenda, and like I have said before I am not here to argue about it.

I never said this was the smartest thing to do. But there is a certain level of expectation when you "hire" someone. Basically there was question about if the person that we saw was even the actual person as advertised since there was a large disparity.

You keep reframing statements to "you". "I" have nothing to do with what transpired. Nor am "I" angry about it. I only saw the end result.

Jul 29, 2006 at 2:04 PM Post #21 of 71
Vanity and shallowness in an industry all about apperances? Good grief. You should've fired her on the spot I agree with that one. There really isn't any "fat girl" model agencies, no one wants a chubby girl to model clothing. Same goes for men... That's how the world works.

Somethings just don't work out in life, i guess chubby girl models is one of them. What a suprise?

edit in: I don't see anything wrong with having an entirely rendered model. They tried something with that a few years ago.

Jul 29, 2006 at 2:57 PM Post #22 of 71
Shows how much Mjg knows about modeling, yeah there are plus size models who yes, very much make a living at it, and when you say "no one wants" what you mean is "I don't want" and you don't speak for the entire world, or for women who appreciate having the clothes modeled in their size.

We get it, you hate fat chicks. The funny thing is that no woman worth her salt appreciates being judged by such shallow criteria, it's not just the "fatties" you repulse with such prejudcial thinking.

Lini, yeah, that was a great campaign. Everyone looked absolutely normal. Poor teenage boys (and men who are still teenage boys) probably couldn't compute it.
eek.gif

As for the OP - someone in an industry that exploits the insecurities of young women and shows young men something unobtainable, and then COMPLAINS when a model dare look normal, I have zero sympathy or tolerance for.

Jul 29, 2006 at 3:18 PM Post #23 of 71
lol not again.

Jul 29, 2006 at 3:28 PM Post #25 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
I don't see anything wrong with having an entirely rendered model. They tried something with that a few years ago.

If that sort of thing took a foothold,what then?
If people have issues with living up to idealized images created from real
people, I would hate to imagine what would happen when model agencies
were just that, places that one could commission or hire a virtual model from.

Perhaps there would be a backlash and the imperfection of reality would
come into vogue again.
Maybe then you would hear complaints that the model hired was too perfect
and not natural enough!

I can understand AC1's point, in the commercial world models are just that,
models, they have to be correct for the job in hand.
To an outsider looking in things can seem a bit insensitive at times.
Though why post your complaints here? [outside of making an interesting thread]
It would seem a modeling/photography forum would be more appropriate?

Jul 29, 2006 at 3:51 PM Post #28 of 71
Plainsong,

Um, I think the point remains that models are just that...

...models. They are physical ideals which we (are meant to) want to live up to.

No one puts a gun to your head and forces you to hate yourself for not looking like that. It's your choice to pick up that magazine, to dress fashionably (or attempt to), to live up to society's current standards. It's useless railing against something that is everyone and no one's fault.

Thin is in now - so what? 'Fat' had its run, what, 50 or so years ago? So what about those poor women with inherently high metabolic rates (that would have done well today) who lived in the 50s?

You think only women have it hard? How about men? Don't women have preconceptions of what 'attractive' is in men? Don't we all have to be tall, rich, gentlemanly, funny, etc? It's all a matter of perspective.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 29, 2006 at 4:21 PM Post #29 of 71
genetic,

I know it was funny, but it was sort of mean spirited you know... Just because they are jumping to conclusions anda ttacking me, doesn't need i need to act out i guess.

In summary:
I don't like fat women? I've dated alto of them... What on earth do you know a bout me? Get real. Fatties get plenty of love, they don't belong on the runway in this world. sorry.(comment on that one then)

adhoc,

couldn't agree with you more... the problem is people who don't accept themselves for they are. It's fine looking fat if your ok with it. I'm busting my ass at this momment trying to shed my gut, working hard for it too... Yet, is that anyonse buisness? No. Yet people trying to blast people for looking thin, or angry at the situation that slender women are is what is considered attractive? Well too bad, but don't blame people for being themselves... Blame yourself for ummm... being unrealistic.

Jul 29, 2006 at 4:29 PM Post #30 of 71
MJG, soon your going to have this thread in your signature for "The fat chick thread". *Shrug.*

It does anger me though that you never get to see most celebrities who are considered extraordinarily hot in photos where they aren't wearing a few gallons of makeup or modelling images that are digitally enhanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back