Disapointed with Yuin PK1?
Mar 1, 2007 at 4:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

xlEnt

100+ Head-Fier
Regarding build quality (not looks) or sound quality?

Do you think they offer a good SQ:$$ ratio?
What headphones are their direct competitors and which do you consider the better bargain?

I know these are earbuds and its really kind of hard to compare them to other headphones, but from my readings i've kind of been surprised that people have been mentioning cans like high end grados and sennheisers in the same light.

for 140 you're in the HD580 and used SR225 market how do you think the PK1 match up? Purely on sound quality/fidelity. I know its delivery, being earbuds, it can sort of be limited, but if you were to disregard this how would you say the PK1's measure up?

thanks for any input.

Mar 1, 2007 at 5:12 AM Post #2 of 36
IMHO, I think the PK1s sounds as good as the 225s if not better. Yeah the earbud looks kinda cheap like $1 earbuds but close your eyes and use the ears to feel the smooth sound.
580smile.gif
Although the build quality didn't really impress me, the sound quality made up for it. But you really really need an amp to have the Pk1 sounds it best.

Mar 1, 2007 at 5:50 AM Post #3 of 36
IMHO their biggest flaw is they lack deep sub-bass extension. IMHO they start to roll off around 35hz (give/take). By comparison, the cheapest canalphones (FX33 for example) extend very deep. You could also make the same argument in favor of the HD280 and K240s, both extend considerably deeper than the PK1.

So its by no means without its flaws. It does have good bass impact however, fast, and snappy. So to some degree its easy to overlook their sub-bass shyness, depending on what kind of music you listen too. Plus they respond to EQ tweeks very well, so cash in on your source / amp if it has a bass-boost feature.

Fit could also be an issue. But then again thats true with ANY headphone.

Build quality-wise they are rock solid, at least mine are.

Does that help at all?
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

**edit**
IMHO both the PK1 and SR225 are more detailed than the HD580. But the 580 has better soundstage than either, and its overall warmer sounding, with less forward highs. IMHO the PK1 is just a hair quicker and more detailed than the 225. The PK1 is smoother than the 225, not as curvy across the spectrum. I have never seen a 225 that cheap. At $140 you're looking at the 125 or 80.

A side note... I was PM'ing Fang a month ago and according to him its only in the US where the earbud market is so crappy. There are 2-3 other headphone brands in China that have very good sounding earbuds. I forget their names, it was nothing I'm familiar with. According to him its not uncommon for Chinese audiophiles to plug these earbuds into $1000 receivers and high end CD transports.

Mar 1, 2007 at 7:14 AM Post #4 of 36
xlEnt, I think you are better off with IEMs, if you don't like them.. I dunno what else since there aren't many good earbuds atm. Only good looking ones.. and crappy looking ones.. but no good ones soundwise =\

Mar 1, 2007 at 12:41 PM Post #5 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nenso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
xlEnt, I think you are better off with IEMs, if you don't like them.. I dunno what else since there aren't many good earbuds atm. Only good looking ones.. and crappy looking ones.. but no good ones soundwise =\

I've had the UE SFP5 and was very disappointed with them. I was considering the ER4S or possibly E4c, but I never really liked the feeling of the UE's stuffed in my ears. However, I do find the JVC Marshmallows much more comfortable.

I think i'll just go w/ the Yuin PK1 considering I cant afford a decent amp for the HD580 right now... go big or go home right? And atleast i'd own earbuds on a whole new echelon because I can easily see my self wanting HD650's/RS-1's down the road... its just affording the adequate amplification thats holding me back.

Mar 1, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #6 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
**edit**
IMHO both the PK1 and SR225 are more detailed than the HD580. But the 580 has better soundstage than either, and its overall warmer sounding, with less forward highs. IMHO the PK1 is just a hair quicker and more detailed than the 225. The PK1 is smoother than the 225, not as curvy across the spectrum. I have never seen a 225 that cheap. At $140 you're looking at the 125 or 80.

Man, I've gotta get a pair of either the PK1's or PK2's (sounds like I might like the PK2 quite a bit.

$140 used for a pair of 225's isn't uncommon. Heck, they're only $175 brand new from TTVJ, so they've gotta drop at least a little in price if used, except most used ones are sold w/ flats and bowls, so they usually go for more around $150-160.

I'm very intriqued by these Yuin earphones. Perhaps a better choice for me than the Etys?

Mar 1, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #7 of 36
I was really surprised by the SQ of the PK1's when I heard them. Sound wise, I think I prefer them over the UE SF5 but not over the ER4p. Build quality wise, it seems to be the same housing as those really cheap headphones you get with a portable pocket radio or something. The build quality on the iPod earphones are better. I'd much prefer ER4P's for the price over PK1s

Mar 1, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #8 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man, I've gotta get a pair of either the PK1's or PK2's (sounds like I might like the PK2 quite a bit.

$140 used for a pair of 225's isn't uncommon. Heck, they're only $175 brand new from TTVJ, so they've gotta drop at least a little in price if used, except most used ones are sold w/ flats and bowls, so they usually go for more around $150-160.

I'm very intriqued by these Yuin earphones. Perhaps a better choice for me than the Etys?

Read the review impressions carefully. They have their strengths and weaknesses, just like anything else. I don't want to come across as a fanboy through any of this, and I hope by pointing out their weaknesses no one sees me as such.

If any of the san jose fiers want to meet up to give the PK1 a listen, just PM me and we can hook-up All my amps and sources are trans-portable.

Mar 8, 2007 at 5:15 PM Post #9 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by tamahome77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMHO, I think the PK1s sounds as good as the 225s if not better. Yeah the earbud looks kinda cheap like $1 earbuds but close your eyes and use the ears to feel the smooth sound.
580smile.gif
Although the build quality didn't really impress me, the sound quality made up for it. But you really really need an amp to have the Pk1 sounds it best.

the appearance can be a plus for those who appreciate the stealthy look to avoid unwanted attention and possible robbery and/or assault, as has happened to some head-fiers. (see: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=227983)

Quote:

Originally Posted by xlEnt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think i'll just go w/ the Yuin PK1 considering I cant afford a decent amp for the HD580 right now... go big or go home right? And atleast i'd own earbuds on a whole new echelon because I can easily see my self wanting HD650's/RS-1's down the road... its just affording the adequate amplification thats holding me back.

you want want to start with the pk-2s if you're ampless as folks are reporting that the pk-1s prefer to be amped (see post #2 above). they should be close enough to keep you happy and are half the price. once you have an amp for your senns you could always upgrade to the pk-1s then.

Mar 8, 2007 at 5:30 PM Post #10 of 36
so does the pk-1 and pk-2 have the same sound signature (with the exception of pk-1/amp combo)??

Mar 8, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #11 of 36
haha the title was misleading - the OP hasn't heard em? well no worries with an amp, but big worries without one. to the question above about the PK2 versus PK1/amp, they don't really share a "house" sound. the PK2 has a midbassier thump, while the PK1/amp is pretty even across the board with far more extension and very nice mids.

Mar 8, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #12 of 36
I felt the PK1's were more accurate in instrument presentation. The PK2's sounded a little off with some brass instruments for the brief time I listened to them.

Mar 8, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #13 of 36
I will have to vouch for sound quality. I have been using these for a long time now, and after daily bouts with the other objects inside my pockets/bag, and my pulling the wire, sitting on it, it falling off my ear onto the ground (damn long cord), having it embedded in cream cheese(lol.) and generally mistreated like any other bud, not a single issue arose. They sound like 100%, the cord is still perfect, and I especially like how small the 1/8 straight plug is. Usually most earbuds last less than two to four months, and then either one side cuts out or some other more tragic physical damage happens. These things have been with me for more than three months and not a hint of wear..

as for the sound, well I prefer them to the iems ive owned, first the er4s and then the super.fi 5 pro... The only issue I can think of is the niche it tries to fit in- portable setup. The lack of isolation is a turnoff, but then we can't expect magic can we?

There are attempts at custom molds, and from what I hear it (obviously) increases bass quantity. Nankai told me that if the part of the mold that actually enters the ear canal (it is the sound tunnel) is cut short by the mold maker on order, the bass increase could be alleviated, but then some want more bass. Even though the mold would isolate much of the sound, the bud still is open and has little holes in the back, so I would guess it isolates maybe 60% as much as a regular custom, which could be a good thing...

Mar 8, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #14 of 36
No complaints from me either on quality. Has there been a bad review yet of the pk1 on the basis of sound? I suppose there's bound to be one as everyone is looking for something different, but these do big sound in a little package very very well. They can get a bit hard and muddled if you have some hard-hitting treble in your music of choice, but it's a high-class problem for an earbud to have, and a transient effect. And mine aren't burned-in yet, so it's subject to maybe improve, I don't know.

But it'll best the 580 on detail if not refinement and soundstage...and that's assuming you have the source for the 580 to take advantage of. Otherwise, I'd sooner use the pk1's than ms1's or HF-1's. My soundbite comparison is to call them baby ms2i's.

Mar 9, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #15 of 36
plainsong
HI: How are you. I am finding that my PK1 out of my little Dot II++ tube amp and Sony CD/Minidisc deck sounds as good as many of the full size headphones that I have owned with tons better comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back