Dilemma re: first audiophile cans - HD 558 vs SR 60i/80i?
Mar 15, 2011 at 5:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

KyogreBJ

New Head-Fier
Greetings, everyone! I'm getting my first pair of audiophile headphones soon, and I'm willing to spend up to a bit over $200. I'm currently choosing between the Sennheiser HD 558 and a Grado SR series (60i or 80i).

Based on what I've read/seen so far, the 558 has a better soundstage and smoother overall sound quality, but I'm tempted by the lower price and more portable design of the Grados.

I do most of my listening at home, on the computer, but I'd also like something that I can bring along to school. I have no immediate plans of getting an amp.

My main genre is metal (progressive, death, operatic, you name it), although I also listen to rock, alternative and electronic music. My source files are either lossless or 320 kbps mp3.

I'd appreciate any input regarding these two headphones, as well as others that would suit my criteria. Thanks!

Mar 15, 2011 at 9:35 AM Post #2 of 11
I can't comment at all on the HD558 but the Grados really are not portable. I mean they are because they are not heavy or bulky but they are very open and using them in public places is often not the best choice. I say that because you will get a lot of outside sound coming in and some of your music will be going out to be heard by those around you. That might not be a big deal to you but you should at least be aware that is how the Grados will work. Otherwise...I would recommend the Grados for being a fantastic headphone if you like bright aggressive sound. 

Mar 15, 2011 at 10:12 AM Post #3 of 11
Buy a can from the For Sale section.  Getting a used (but good condition) headphone that is midfi is better than a low end new one for the same price.

If you like aggressive metal, I say DT880s are the way to go.  I feel Grado has too small of a soundstage for metal.  Feels like members in the band don't have enough room to stand.  Maybe go for the 250ohm version since you don't plan to get an amp?

FA-003 is another phone you can possibly consider.  Closed so you can use outside and also under 200 new.  Very similar to the HD600s, just not quite as good.

Mar 15, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #4 of 11
The Senns 5xx just ain't comfortable for outside use. Feels like it'll strangle me the moment I hang it on my neck.
The Grados, on the other hand, are pretty comfortable for me.

Grados have almost no sound isolation, but the Senns 5xx ain't much better too.

I've owned the MS1 and Senn 598 b4, listened briefly to SR60/80/125 and Senns 558 too.
SQ-wise, I would prefer the MS1 over 558 for rock, but I don't know about metal. I like the small soundstage for rock music, feels more intimate to me. :wink:

Mar 15, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #5 of 11
Don't overlook comfort, either.  The Sennheiser 558 will encase your ear and in warmer months, may make listening a bit uncomfortable.  Some might point out the Sennheiser HD280 Pro, because they are of the on-ear variety, but are open phones so you'll hear noises that are around you and others might hear your music if you sit too close.  However, the on-ear feature might be more pleasant during warmer months.

Mar 15, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #6 of 11
I think the Grados are it for what you listen to. Since you are willing to pay up to $200, the SR225i might be the best choice. Or you could get a SR60i/SR80i and just mod it later on to make it look and sound cooler! :)

Mar 15, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #7 of 11
I think the M50s would be a good choice if you ever want to bring them outside home, they work well for the genres you listed in my opinion.  A friend of mine listens to mostly metal/classic rock and he's quite happy with them.

As someone mentioned the FA003s are also a good choice, but they are big on the head and you may get laughed at in public (BUT they are phenomenal performers in many ways).  I don't really recommend the HD558 for heavy rock as the warmer sound signature can make the songs sound a tad congested.  Grados are known for good synergy with rock (idk about metal) so those don't seem a bad option either.

Mar 15, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #8 of 11
I would look at Denon AH-D1100 or if you can find a great price, AH-d2000. Grados simply won't work portably, everyone for a mile around will be able to hear what you're listening to.

Mar 15, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #9 of 11
I would look at Denon AH-D1100 or if you can find a great price, AH-d2000. Grados simply won't work portably, everyone for a mile around will be able to hear what you're listening to.

If you play volume at half volume then sound leakage will be no more of an issue than any other normal headphones. I've used my grados in college at half volume in a silent darkroom and sound leakage was not an issue.

I will vouch that grados aren't the most ideal solution for outdoor use, though. Unless you don't mind hearing everyone around you then I'd recommend a closed set like the M50s. I never heard those but I'm already considering them, too, for outdoor use.

Mar 15, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
If you play volume at half volume then sound leakage will be no more of an issue than any other normal headphones. I've used my grados in college at half volume in a silent darkroom and sound leakage was not an issue.

That's about where I play my Grado SR325s when I head to bed each evening.  It's often a rare moment when I stir my wife - and she'll ask me to turn it down a bit.  Other than that, I'm good to go the other 90% of the time.

Edit: The last time I stirred my wife was about 4 or 5 nights ago.  I was listening to a Norah Jones Duet album.  I believe it was Q-Tip that she was singing to and Q-Tip was doing a slow rap gig in the song and my wife asked my why there was talking in the music.  Ugh!   Gee, I don't know ... I guess it's there because they recorded it that way.  Then again, this was probably at 1:00 a.m.

Mar 15, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #11 of 11
opens are not portable, unless you like lacking eardrums.  Closed are next best for portability, then IEMs are ideal as they're small and block out the most ambient noise.  My house is noisy enough that I dislike using opens unless it is night time and I'm on my laptop and not my pc since the pc fans are too loud.  That should demonstrate just how poor opens are for portabilitiy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back