Dilemma! Budget warm IEMs - help required
Jul 31, 2012 at 4:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

pickandwhammy

New Head-Fier
I'm a blues/rock guitarist and mostly listen to stuff like King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Rush, Guthrei Govan, etc: everything has a lot of guitars, bass, drums in it; and I dislike electronic sound/equipment, and even reproduction of sound that sounds "fake". Unfortunately I earn peanuts and can barely spare any money to buy a pair of nice warm (and slightly bassy) IEMs.

Currently own Ultimate Ears 200, of which I like the clarity and sound-stage, and capability to not distort if I colour the equaliser up a bit.
My flatmate owns a Head Direct RE0, and though they are really superior, honestly, THAT much of flat response is not suited to my liking (to me it sounds like a guitar directly plugged into a speaker, without any tube amp in between).
Another thing I'd like to mention is I'd tried the SoundMagic PL21s and really didn't like them. Too muffled and barely any width (they might have been fake, though, because they guy who has it got them really cheap).

I've narrowed my choices down to these for now, based on budget, availability in my country, and my amateur research:
- Ultimate Ears 350  (love the way the 200s sound)
- MEElectronics M21  (build quality seems to be insane, but sound is probably most inferior)
- SoundMagic E10 (or E30)   (vice versa w.r.t. to M21)

Jul 31, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #2 of 18
I've have a pair of PL21 here, I know what you mean. The E10 which I also have are a big step up. They offer a little of everything. I consider them the best budget IEM you can buy. Also they won best for a budget buy at what hifi. I own IEM's triple their price and E10 still amaze me with their SQ when I compare them.

My vote goes for the E10 over your other choices. You get a lot of sound for your money.

Jul 31, 2012 at 4:34 AM Post #3 of 18
Ah, finally someone does agree (about PL21s)! In fact I was sceptical about the SoundMagic hype, and these were the first I'd heard, so I was pushed further away from trusting SM.

Out here the E10s aren't actually available, but the E10Ms are, for about... (calculating exchange rate)... roughly $36.

Also - aren't they extremely fragile? The pictures and reviews certainly don't build any confidence. I lost my Sennheiser CX 180s to the "loose connection jack" syndrome; really don't want something like that happening again.

Jul 31, 2012 at 4:53 AM Post #4 of 18
Ah, finally someone does agree (about PL21s)! In fact I was sceptical about the SoundMagic hype, and these were the first I'd heard, so I was pushed further away from trusting SM.

Out here the E10s aren't actually available, but the E10Ms are, for about... (calculating exchange rate)... roughly $36.

Also - aren't they extremely fragile? The pictures and reviews certainly don't build any confidence. I lost my Sennheiser CX 180s to the "loose connection jack" syndrome; really don't want something like that happening again.

The E10 are completely different in the sound department to PL21. Imagine that cloudy sound the PL21 have then lifting it, add more clarity, separation, bass texture, soundstage and you have the E10. Though PL21 build seems a little nicer. I've heard story's about the E10 housings coming apart from members (how rough they were I'm not sure) The cable is a little springy, strain relief should be ok as long as you take them out by the housing, (not yanking on the cable). The straight jack seems solid enough. My pair are fine but they don't leave the house. E10Ms is the same thing and good price.

I just know I tried several IEM's from department stores ranging up to $80 - $100 and none of them truly impressed me, then I found Head-fi and couldn't believe what the E10 provided for only $35. They were actually the door way to my IEM addiction.

Jul 31, 2012 at 7:51 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:
The E10 are completely different in the sound department to PL21. Imagine that cloudy sound the PL21 have then lifting it, add more clarity, separation, bass texture, soundstage and you have the E10. Though PL21 build seems a little nicer. I've heard story's about the E10 housings coming apart from members (how rough they were I'm not sure) The cable is a little springy, strain relief should be ok as long as you take them out by the housing, (not yanking on the cable). The straight jack seems solid enough. My pair are fine but they don't leave the house. E10Ms is the same thing and good price.
I just know I tried several IEM's from department stores ranging up to $80 - $100 and none of them truly impressed me, then I found Head-fi and couldn't believe what the E10 provided for only $35. They were actually the door way to my IEM addiction.

Hmm, that's some food for thought. Have you tried the other two any time? Direct comparison by one person is best, but I'm not sure if such a person exists and is willing to look through such threads :p

Jul 31, 2012 at 8:06 AM Post #6 of 18
Hmm, that's some food for thought. Have you tried the other two any time? Direct comparison by one person is best, but I'm not sure if such a person exists and is willing to look through such threads :p

Nah. I've tried the M31 and found it a little too mid bass centric, plus the fit was awkward. Hopefully some other people can chime in. :smile:

Jul 31, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #8 of 18
The JVC FXC50, FX3X are pretty good sounding for the price and they sound warm, crisp, clear with good punchy bass

Jul 31, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #10 of 18
Check out Rockit sounds R-20, pretty nice for the price. Also if you want good sound and build quality there is the Dunu DN-12 Trident.

Jul 31, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #12 of 18
Get in contact with Rockit sounds and Dunu, they will sort you out with some I bet

Jul 31, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #14 of 18
I found ONE site that lists the Dunu Trident; the site looks quite shabby but I might as well try it out if they're that great.

Just for confirmation: are they the same ones?

http://www.dinodirect.com/earphones-mp3-in-ear-dunu-trident.html?cur=INR&AFFID=3111

Users who are viewing this thread

Back