digiZoid ZO2.3 Impression & Discussion Thread
Jan 23, 2012 at 3:58 AM Post #76 of 1,021

Quote:
As far as bass levels, i can only bump it up about 4 clicks when connected to my hd650's, then with bass heavy songs it starts to distort. 

I don't think it's the headphones, I can do max level with any headphones without distortion. I think it's more down to the source used and what volume level used on the source.

Unless you got a piece of hair that is laying on the driver starting to vibrate enough to produce that annoying rattle sound as the bassresponse gets stronger. So many times I've got false alarmed of the headphone drivers have broken when it's just a piece of hair. >_< This is very common.

Jan 23, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #77 of 1,021
After a long wait, my Zo2 rev3 came in today. The sound is very nice, very impressive, definitely an upgrade from my Cmoy :D But I have a small problem when using the Zo in low gain with Fiio L3 lod with my iPod, the sound get distorted. As in the Zo guide recommend, low gain should be used for lod while high gain is for headphone out. The Zo work nice with the second config even though the lowest volume level is still a bit too high for my taste. I wonder have anyone experienced a same problem as mine? My L3 lod is working fine with the Cmoy though.

Btw, it seems like the color for my Zo's high gain mode is purple (fixed purple, can only adjust volume via the player) and low gain mode is blue (get dimmer for lower volume).
Thank you very much,

Jan 23, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #78 of 1,021

Quote:
After a long wait, my Zo2 rev3 came in today. The sound is very nice, very impressive, definitely an upgrade from my Cmoy :D But I have a small problem when using the Zo in low gain with Fiio L3 lod with my iPod, the sound get distorted. As in the Zo guide recommend, low gain should be used for lod while high gain is for headphone out. The Zo work nice with the second config even though the lowest volume level is still a bit too high for my taste. I wonder have anyone experienced a same problem as mine? My L3 lod is working fine with the Cmoy though.

Btw, it seems like the color for my Zo's high gain mode is purple (fixed purple, can only adjust volume via the player) and low gain mode is blue (get dimmer for lower volume).
Thank you very much,

I've heard some other person reporting distortion when using a FiiO L3 but not with a L1 for some reason, could be some incompability with that particular cable. 

Second about the volume/gain. Pink = high gain, purple is the max volume level in low gain. If holding down vol+ for like 4-5 secs while at the max vol level (purple) in low gain it should turn pink and you get to high gain and you get a BIG boost in volume but high gain should only be used if you're plugging into the headphone jack though. Or did you mean that you get the volume boost of high gain and it's just the LED that doesn't change perhaps?

Anyway read the quickstart guide if you haven't it says everything you need to know there.

Jan 23, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #79 of 1,021
Yes, it could be some problem with L3, shame since there're plenty of L3 user out there considering this price range.

And you are right about the low/high gain LED, i just didnt hold the vol control long enough to enter high gain. Maybe I will order a L1 lod to test it again. Thank you for your reply btw.

P/s: I've seen the L9 lod from Fiio, has anyone successfully used it with the Zo?

Jan 23, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #83 of 1,021

Quote:
Mine came in the other day, and mine too distorts sound when I use the L3. Works fine when I use the aux cable that was included. I'm going to end up getting a different LOD to test this issue to see if it is in fact the L3 or something else.

I'm fairly sure I've read about some user here in some of the threads concerning ZO having both a L3 and L1 and that it worked fine with L1 but distorted L3 but I'm not 100% sure, tried digging after that post but can't find it.

EDIT: Found it! Page 2, post 26:

Try ordering the FiiO L1 instead then. I have the L1 and L3. I had the same type of issue from day one with the L3, the L1 has been perfect since the day I got it though. I have no idea why this is, but if you are having a similar issue, then you should try the L1

So it appears there's some compatibility issues with FiiO L3. I could add this info to the OP.

Also don't forget you can send feedback to them to this email address for quirks or suggestions you may have what you like to see changed in future versions.

Feedback and suggestions
feedback@digizoid.com  

Jan 24, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #84 of 1,021

Quote:

I don't think it's the headphones, I can do max level with any headphones without distortion. I think it's more down to the source used and what volume level used on the source.

Unless you got a piece of hair that is laying on the driver starting to vibrate enough to produce that annoying rattle sound as the bassresponse gets stronger. So many times I've got false alarmed of the headphone drivers have broken when it's just a piece of hair. >_< This is very common.

Im running an l9 LOD into the zo2 and running high gain into my hd650's. I can put the volume all the way up and hear it distort in some songs with the bass setting on the zo in the lowest settings. If i plug in my pro700mk2's with the bass setting all the way it freaking rocks my brain. I expected it to do that, since hd650 arent meant for heavy rocking out. Hence why i have my pro700's and m50's! 

Jan 24, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #85 of 1,021

Quote:
Im running an l9 LOD into the zo2 and running high gain into my hd650's. I can put the volume all the way up and hear it distort in some songs with the bass setting on the zo in the lowest settings. If i plug in my pro700mk2's with the bass setting all the way it freaking rocks my brain. I expected it to do that, since hd650 arent meant for heavy rocking out. Hence why i have my pro700's and m50's! 

Yea OK the higher volume on the source the easier it'll distort though, so yea if you're using some 300 ohm headphones it's gonna distort sooner without doubt. But if the HD650 were like 40 ohm or something it probably wouldn't.

Jan 24, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #86 of 1,021

Quote:
Yes, it could be some problem with L3, shame since there're plenty of L3 user out there considering this price range.

And you are right about the low/high gain LED, i just didnt hold the vol control long enough to enter high gain. Maybe I will order a L1 lod to test it again. Thank you for your reply btw.

P/s: I've seen the L9 lod from Fiio, has anyone successfully used it with the Zo?

I have L9, no problems.
But if I drive the volume all the way up on the ZO2.2 while using  HO it may distort due overdriving my phones.

Jan 24, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #87 of 1,021
Perhaps it would be a good thing for the jacks not to be "sinked-in" to increase compatibility, I have tried a few different stereo cables tho and it hasn't been any issues for me with HO-use though at least even if they happen to be thicker on the end than the encluded cable but yea what harm would it do to bring the jacks slightly more forward so they sit evenly with the plastic bracket I wonder, sure it might look less tidy if using the stereo cables that's meant for these kind of jacks but yea that's not too important IMO.

Jan 24, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #88 of 1,021

Quote:

Wait...so you're using a LOD (line-out) AND high gain??? If so, that's why it's distorting!! You have to be in low gain (blue LightBar) when using a LOD!!

Jan 25, 2012 at 3:10 AM Post #89 of 1,021
Im sorry, i put that wrong. Im using the headphone jack into the zo2 in high gain. If i had the lineout plus high gain mode, i wouldnt be able to control the volume ;-p . 

Jan 25, 2012 at 4:34 AM Post #90 of 1,021
Would be cool to see 2-stage amping in ZO3, I have a feeling that's why the battery life was even a little better in ZO2.1 and also the bass is even slightly more punchy especially. :) I've been comparing ZO2.1 vs ZO2.3 a bit more and ZO2.1 can definitely add more bass and output volume is also slightly louder in high gain vs high gain comparision. With my Q40 headphones I have to set to like 18% volume and on ZO2.1 15% so I'd especially think it could drive headphones like HD650 (300 ohm) a little easier without necessary starting  distorting if it had similar setup as in ZO2.1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back