Did HD800 fail? Poll: HD650 or HD800(vote only if you have listened to both)
Apr 13, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #121 of 178
I might be imagining things, but it sure looks to me like a lot of the HD800 "haters" have heard the HD800 though significantly worse sources/amplifiers than those used by the HD800 "defenders."

It also seems to me that based on the amount of HD800s you see for sale that a lot of angry HD800 owners spent their hard earned simoleans on the HD800 expecting it to be the be-all-end-all of headphones and pair perfectly with any gear under the sun. I can definitely sympathize with these complaints. At first I ran the HD800 straight from a computer soundcard and I wondered what all the hype was about.

It sure would be great if the HD800 sounded better out of more reasonably priced gear, but, when properly paired with a great amp and source the HD800 is definetly in the discussion for top dog in the headphone pantheon (along with the Stax Omegas and others). If we measure the HD800 by what it is capable of sounding like, then to imply that the HD800 is in any way a failure seems absurd.

Apr 13, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #122 of 178

The HD800 is a 300ohm 102db sensitivity headphone. It needs a decent amp but doesn't have extraordinary amping needs.

I personally auditioned them on a few different systems, all of which were quite capable of powering the hifiman orthos and other demanding headphones. There was no problem with the gear - I just didn't like them. Around 80-85% of the people at the meet didn't like them along with me.

The reason there have been a lot of HD800s on the classifieds from the day it was released (and in fact from the unique cable jobs on some you can see the same pairs have been pinballing around non stop for a while) is likely also that a lot of people don't like them. Sounds a lot more plausible to me than them all trying to run them off their laptops and then giving in...

Apr 13, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #123 of 178
Quote:Originally Posted by EddieE 

"The HD800 is a 300ohm 102db sensitivity headphone. It needs a decent amp but doesn't have extraordinary amping needs.
I personally auditioned them on a few different systems, all of which were quite capable of powering the hifiman orthos and other demanding headphones. There was no problem with the gear - I just didn't like them. Around 80-85% of the people at the meet didn't like them along with me.
The reason there have been a lot of HD800s on the classifieds from the day it was released (and in fact from the unique cable jobs on some you can see the same pairs have been pinballing around non stop for a while) is likely also that a lot of people don't like them. Sounds a lot more plausible to me than them all trying to run them off their laptops and then giving in..."

When I was at a January meet that I helped put together most everyone that heard my HD800 with my setups really liked them. We had several LCD2s, the HE6 production and prototype, the R10, a T1 plus many other cans. So I suppose it depends.

Apr 13, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #124 of 178

Quote:

The HD800 is a 300ohm 102db sensitivity headphone. It needs a decent amp but doesn't have extraordinary amping needs.

Yeah if 80-85% of the people at your meet didn't like them I would venture to say that they didn't match well at all with the source/amp, esp the amp.  Our local meet there wasn't one person who "didn't like" them on a number of set ups but they all had high end amps and reasonable sources.  If you didn't count the Omega/Blue Hawaiian set up then 85%-90%  of the people there choose the 800s with only the owner of an LCD2 liking that better and the R10 light getting a sparse vote or two, which was surprising although i didn't like it at all.  I may prefer the R10 bass heavy but it has been a long time since I have heard one or compared one to any HP.

Edit- the 650s weren't even in the running.

Apr 13, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #125 of 178
Yeah if 80-85% of the people at your meet didn't like them I would venture to say that they didn't match well at all with the source/amp, esp the amp.  Our local meet there wasn't one person who "didn't like" them on a number of set ups but they all had high end amps and reasonable sources.  If you didn't count the Omega/Blue Hawaiian set up then 85%-90%  of the people there choose the 800s with only the owner of an LCD2 liking that better and the R10 light getting a sparse vote or two, which was surprising although i didn't like it at all.  I may prefer the R10 bass heavy but it has been a long time since I have heard one or compared one to any HP.

Edit- the 650s weren't even in the running.

Agreed completely.

I totally remember hearing them for the first time and my wife said I had a stupid smile on my face and she knew eventually it would cost us some more $$$. :D

Apr 13, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #126 of 178
I know it's my wife's favorite headphones, next to my R-10's. 

I still can't get over the "sterile and anemic" comment.

Apr 13, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #127 of 178
HD650 was my first high end headphone... like it very much, so I bought the HD800 but after a year, I realize why I am listening to so much details... I just want to enjoy music like I am in a lounge.. so I bought the HD650 again...

then came lcd-2 , is just between hd650 and hd800, sweet :)

hd650 is so much comfortable too

Apr 13, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #128 of 178
HD650 was my first high end headphone... like it very much, so I bought the HD800 but after a year, I realize why I am listening to so much details... I just want to enjoy music like I am in a lounge.. so I bought the HD650 again...

then came lcd-2 , is just between hd650 and hd800, sweet :)

hd650 is so much comfortable too

You're kidding right? :blink:

With my melon, I couldn't get them off my head fast enough. The HD800s for me are the most comfortable headphones I've ever had on my head. Maybe it's my rather large Macedonian head?

Apr 13, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #129 of 178

Quote:
I still can't get over the "sterile and anemic" comment.

That's actually a pretty common critique of the HD800 :p  Actually most bright headphones seem to get that comment from people who don't like them.

I think the HD800 does pretty much everything better than the HD6x0 except for tonality.  It is faster, more detailed, is better extended on both ends, has a larger soundstage, etc but the tonality is not as accurate to my ears.  It is simply too bright, whereas the HD650 is a little dark but not terribly so.  I think tonality is one of two major reasons that some might prefer the HD650 to the HD800 despite much of the HD800's technical superiority.  The other reason is likely the treble spike.  Many people are sensitive to a harsh treble spike like the one in the HD800 so it sticks out as offensive.  The HD650 on the other hand might not have tons of strengths, but it also has no major offenses either. 

Apr 13, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #130 of 178
Quote:
You're kidding right?
blink.gif

With my melon, I couldn't get them off my head fast enough. The HD800s for me are the most comfortable headphones I've ever had on my head. Maybe it's my rather large Macedonian head?

Actually I found the HD650s quite comfortable, but I do have a rather small head.  

Apr 13, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #131 of 178
Quote:
That's actually a pretty common critique of the HD800 :p  Actually most bright headphones seem to get that comment from people who don't like them.

I think the HD800 does pretty much everything better than the HD6x0 except for tonality.  It is faster, more detailed, is better extended on both ends, has a larger soundstage, etc but the tonality is not as accurate to my ears.  It is simply too bright, whereas the HD650 is a little dark but not terribly so.  I think tonality is one of two major reasons that some might prefer the HD650 to the HD800 despite much of the HD800's technical superiority.  The other reason is likely the treble spike.  Many people are sensitive to a harsh treble spike like the one in the HD800 so it sticks out as offensive.  The HD650 on the other hand might not have tons of strengths, but it also has no major offenses either. 

That's where tubes come in.  My K701s, previously thin and slightly fatiguing on solid state, now sound divine off a WA6.  Full, rich sound.  Intimacy and tonality to match and best the 650s.

Apr 13, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #132 of 178
IME amps don't change the sound of a headphone THAT drastically to give a headphone a completely different sound signature.  The only times I've heard amps that change the sound a lot they're either crappy amps or underpowered.  I've heard dozens of tubes amps btw and it's usually the worse cheap tube amps that give that typical "tube sound" description.  I find that the better a tube amp or vinyl rig gets, the more similar it starts to sound to great solid state/digital.

Apr 14, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #133 of 178
I guess the WA22 would be an exception, as it is Woo's most euphonic, or "tubey" sounding amp, and it's hardly in the crappy category. Works very well with the HD800.

Apr 14, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #134 of 178

Quote:
IME amps don't change the sound of a headphone THAT drastically to give a headphone a completely different sound signature.  The only times I've heard amps that change the sound a lot they're either crappy amps or underpowered.  I've heard dozens of tubes amps btw and it's usually the worse cheap tube amps that give that typical "tube sound" description.  I find that the better a tube amp or vinyl rig gets, the more similar it starts to sound to great solid state/digital.

this^.  i think i would prefer crap toobs over crap sand though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back