Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Jul 6, 2021 at 4:16 AM Post #4,156 of 7,571
This is why you will find a lot of AB-1266 owners like them, as you can completely tailor the amount of bass just by placing / assembling the headphone differently on your head.
Definitely a nice feature to die for. But that beast is not for me, too big. I prefer minimal, that’s actually the first and main reason I went for the Diana.
I actually would like to give the 1266 a go just to see if it will make me cry as some people do when listen to it. 😅

Jul 6, 2021 at 5:15 AM Post #4,157 of 7,571
I actually would like to give the 1266 a go just to see if it will make me cry as some people do when listen to it. 😅
You can get emotional with other gear as well, including Diana :) I get like this when something surprises me and a certain genre clicks, like AB-1266 for cold EDM, or HE-1 for vocal heavy synth pop. But even though I love my AB-1266, don't think it is some sort of magic, so definitely don't buy thinking and romanticising it will make you the happiest man alive (for that we have bourbon).

Jul 6, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #4,158 of 7,571
Anyone tried Matrix mini-i pro 3 dac/amp combo? How does it perform with Diana?

Jul 6, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #4,159 of 7,571
Both drive all three very well. The difference is tone. The Formula S leans towards neutral, dynamic, resolving, open sounding, impactful bass and fast type of sound. The Luxman has a slightly warmer, fuller, dynamic, spacious, tube-like sweetness to its sound. It doesn’t lack dynamics or resolve it’s just have the crispness of the the Formula S. The Luxman is just smooth, confident, and begs to be turned up.

Both have good weight to the music. The Luxman sounds like it has more drive and feels more powerful even though they have nearly the same specs. I like the Luxman because if fills up each headphone with music. The TC‘s sound big, full-bodied, holographic, with tactical bass, lush mids and excellent clarity. The Formula S tends to stay rather transparent, not as full bodied, but it makes up for it with better attack and slightly faster transients. I like the Formula S with warmer sounding headphones, like the Diana V2’s and LCD-4z’s. The Luxman adds more depth and body to headphones like TC, Susvara’s, Utopia’s and headphones that are more neutral, brighter, and more airy sounding.

I love that I have two distinct sounding amps that serve two different purposes. Truthfully they both can drive everything headphone. They just differ in presentation but have all the sonic traits that make listening to music enjoyable.
Thanks a lot for the detail impression !!

I do really like Diana V2 and 4Z on Formula too, both sound grand, transparent, and smooth. However, Formula show a little hiss on the background for something easier to drive headphones and could be deal breaker to some.

Jul 11, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #4,160 of 7,571
Anyone heard the Singxer SA-1 and or Mytek Brooklyn Bridge (balanced 6 watts) w/Diana V2?

I saw Zeos' video about the Singxer. Actually 2 videos where he also compared it to the GSX Mini. He and his friend almost couldn't tell them apart. In Abyss' video I think I heard Jason saying he has a Brooklyn Dac + a GSX Mini as desk setup.

Jul 16, 2021 at 2:57 AM Post #4,161 of 7,571
alright giving the diana v2 another try. biting the financial bullet to compare it against the clear mg (which i prefer over the original and the diana so far) with a bifrost 2+soloist 3xp as my end game for the foreseeable future. should receive the stack this weekend

Jul 16, 2021 at 3:46 AM Post #4,162 of 7,571
alright giving the diana v2 another try. biting the financial bullet to compare it against the clear mg (which i prefer over the original and the diana so far) with a bifrost 2+soloist 3xp as my end game for the foreseeable future. should receive the stack this weekend
Let us know what your findings are. I used to have original Clear and Diana V2, also with Bifrost 2 (but a different amp), and back then I preferred Diana for its resolution, but liked Clears for their comfort. I wonder how Mg has improved Clears.

Jul 16, 2021 at 4:04 AM Post #4,163 of 7,571
Let us know what your findings are. I used to have original Clear and Diana V2, also with Bifrost 2 (but a different amp), and back then I preferred Diana for its resolution, but liked Clears for their comfort. I wonder how Mg has improved Clears.
of course, i did a lot of comparing other people's comments before coming to this point too. my opinion for the mg compared to the original coincides with jude's and also convince me audio's youtube video reviews on it: everything is just MORE, very punchy and engaging but that could turn off some people i'm sure (also a bit heavier on the head, but still no issue for long sessions)

the diana still wins out on resolution as you said which i assume will be even more pronounced with the stack upgrade

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2021 at 6:03 AM Post #4,164 of 7,571
2021_0815_16505600.jpg

Beautiful purple/copper colour on Phi driver, definitely different than Gold on Diana V2.

Anyway, now Diana Phi (perhaps V2 also?) ship with new pad, that clearly the largest pad ever seen on Diana. Significantly wider, deeper, and more comfortable to use (and not perforated).

2021_0815_15250800.jpg

Jul 16, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #4,165 of 7,571

Beautiful purple/copper colour on Phi driver, definitely different than Gold on Diana V2.

Anyway, now Diana Phi (perhaps V2 also?) ship with new pad, that clearly the largest pad ever seen on Diana. Significantly wider, deeper, and more comfortable to use (and not perforated).

I thought you had both(v2/phi) or at least at one time you did ? V2 to PHI now ? That pad looks so wrinkled. Do you have another set to compare size ? Do you like the PHI more ?

Jul 16, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #4,166 of 7,571
Those pads look very interesting. Not the best in terms of "cosmetics" but I think they might be very comfy, and sound better than the original Phi pads.

Wish I still had a Diana around to give them a try.

Jul 16, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #4,167 of 7,571
Joe stated in a previous video that they modded the pads this year as a DMS hybrid and now they updated it again.

I’m trying to find that segment of the video because I asked on YouTube and they said it they never touched the pads when they stated that they did.

Jul 17, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #4,169 of 7,571
I thought you had both(v2/phi) or at least at one time you did ? V2 to PHI now ? That pad looks so wrinkled. Do you have another set to compare size ? Do you like the PHI more ?
Had V2 for around a year, sold her 2 months ago, as I think my Verite is doing better for something fun, musical, and easy to listen to. However, soon I miss the Diana's sound, and decide to go the bigger sister as she offer me better resolution and soundstage. For now (2 days of using) yes Phi is a better headphone for me, need to find amp to match her though. (Now got Milo Kozmo on loan)

True, the wrinkle also worried me at first, that I need to look to other new units at store to check if it is normal, and yes, they all look alike.

I think I will able to take photo of both pads tomorrow, will update here.

Those pads look very interesting. Not the best in terms of "cosmetics" but I think they might be very comfy, and sound better than the original Phi pads.

Wish I still had a Diana around to give them a try.
Compare to Diana V2 (before angled frame), this new Diana indeed more comfortable to me. Less pressure on my ears, but at the same time also less pressure on top of my head. At V2 I can get hot spot on my head after 2-3 hours of listening, now not anymore. I think the new pad actually "hug" me tighter, but due to wide size, the pressure also lighter.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2021 at 6:43 AM Post #4,170 of 7,571
Does anyone know if the mytek Brooklyn bridge 1 or the new 2 drives the phi or v2 well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back