Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Jul 20, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #4,187 of 7,443
Hey everyone!

I left the audio world about a year ago, sold my Verite Open and CMA Twelve Master. For the past couple of weeks, I have been testing the Abyss Diana V2 and the Phi (loaned from TheMiddleSky, p.s. thank you very much!!). I loved both headphones very much, from the build quality all the way to how they sounded. I was so close on purchasing the V2, but realized that the headband and pads were causing comfort & sealing issues. I then received the newly updated Phi, all of my comfort issues were fixed! It's super comfortable now, and I'm so glad Abyss fixed the headband and earpads. I have attached some photos, and you can see they've added two bumps on the left and right side of the headband.

Cheers,
James
I wish the pads were like that when I had the V2 earlier this year.

Jul 20, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #4,188 of 7,443
I wish the pads were like that when I had the V2 earlier this year.
So many silent revisions, great that they are continuously improving the product, but it sucks that they did not do it all at once, as they have clearly changed 3 things (headband cushioning, headband angle, pads) in the last couple of months, month after month, instead of all together.

Jul 20, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #4,189 of 7,443
So many silent revisions, great that they are continuously improving the product, but it sucks that they did not do it all at once, as they have clearly changed 3 things (headband cushioning, headband angle, pads) in the last couple of months, month after month, instead of all together.

Agreed, they should've done this from the start when they released it for the very first time. But it's good to know they are actually listening to the consumers and doing revisions to it.

Jul 21, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #4,192 of 7,443
I'm having a hard time believing those are the official new pads? They look like a DYI project lol. I know they were working on a new pad design but if this is it, I'm not sure I want to pay $250 for that!
The DMS pads looked more professional.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2021 at 2:54 AM Post #4,194 of 7,443
alright giving the diana v2 another try. biting the financial bullet to compare it against the clear mg (which i prefer over the original and the diana so far) with a bifrost 2+soloist 3xp as my end game for the foreseeable future. should receive the stack this weekend
okay update:
stack upgrade - immense improvement in sense of depth and imaging, more layered while being precise which adds to represent a lifelike sound. separation is suberb, actual feeling of vertical and horizontal space

mg pro - warmer sound signature, treble is a bit less sharp. bass has a physicalness to it that the diana simply can't replicate, lending itself to be more satisfying with electronic music. not far behind in pop/rock genres at all, but loses a bit in acoustic and instrumental pieces

diana v2 - has that extra (let's say 15-20%) clarity and sense of space/air that the mg lacks. bass isn't as deep but is crisper and exceptionally responsive, and doesn't overtake other characteristics of the track as much. i added a +1db low shelf filter for impact, but just my preference

conclusion - as much as the diana edges out overall and though my FOMO bug is itching, i can't justify the cost difference as i purchased the mg for about half as the diana. i'd rather save that money with the mg (which i thoroughly enjoy already) and later apply that to a true end-game upgrade someday like the 1266 or susvara when i can comfortably afford it. still extremely satisfied with this setup. music has become so much more engaging ever since starting this hobby, and that's the most important part for me

Jul 22, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #4,195 of 7,443
Contacted Abyss and was told the new pads will be available "in about a month". Also, if you place an order now, the new pads will ship as soon as they're available, as the old pads are no longer available for purchase.

Really looking forward to it, hopefully they look more..."finished" when they're officially released.

Jul 22, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #4,196 of 7,443
Contacted Abyss and was told the new pads will be available "in about a month". Also, if you place an order now, the new pads will ship as soon as they're available, as the old pads are no longer available for purchase.

Really looking forward to it, hopefully they look more..."finished" when they're officially released.
Did they give a price?

I emailed them about these pads and possibly upgrading the headband on my V2 to the new version, but they haven’t responded yet

Jul 22, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #4,198 of 7,443
All of these revisions I imagine for the build up of the closed back perhaps?

My only concern is how the now the "older" models will decrease value in the 2nd hand market.
I ordered my in February and I think mines has the angled headband but obviously not the new cushions nor pads.

Im really grateful that Ive never found them uncomfortable stock though.
Maybe its cause I have long hair and not such a big noggin.
I really like my V2 a lot overall but now I'm not sure buying brand new is the best idea with all the silent updates.

Jul 23, 2021 at 12:01 AM Post #4,200 of 7,443
You want to buy a product that there's never a new better version of so your resale value doesn't suffer?
I never said that. My issue is the constant silent revisions without regard to purchases made weeks/months prior. You apparently think I'm naive/selfish enough to expect a company to only update when I'm ready to sell.

I don't like it when I communicate with a business and they're not totally honest or transparent about their manufacturing.
I guess that's too much to ask for my money much like your complaining about the ear-pads not being up to par for yours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back