Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Jul 27, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #4,216 of 7,410
Jul 27, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #4,217 of 7,410
I emailed Abyss and they (probably dms) suggested that I go for Diablo if I wanna get a Diana Phi for portable use.
I have the Diablo and as some here will agree with me, it is a great portable amp, but sound dry and unnatural with the phi.

Jul 27, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #4,218 of 7,410
plenty of power but the dac isnt up to par...the hugo 2 dac is in another league

Jul 27, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #4,220 of 7,410
Jul 28, 2021 at 1:27 AM Post #4,221 of 7,410
Diablo and BX-2 and preferred the BX-2. Quite bigger though.
Are you referring to me? I wrote about it in both Diablo and Romi forum a while ago. The best combo was Hugo 2 as a DAC and BX-2 Plus as an amp. The whole setup is battery powered and quite portable, but costs almost 3k new. I think Diablo is good value, but both sound as well as build quality isn't at the same level as Hugo and Romi.

Jul 28, 2021 at 6:29 AM Post #4,222 of 7,410
Speaking of budget amp (relatively to Diana Phi price), i think I can vouch for singxer sa-1. Definitely a step up compare to topping A90, especially in midrange area (much more organic and involving), and actually perform even better micro detail.

Never touch volume more than 12 o'clock, Diana seems driven with ease. Ok, the exception is for classical songs in dsd format, even so, it's only up to 2 o'clock. As we know, the SA1 is exponential (non linear) volume pot, so actually still plenty of power left.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #4,223 of 7,410
Speaking of budget amp (relatively to Diana Phi price), i think I can vouch for singxer sa-1. Definitely a step up compare to topping A90, especially in midrange area (much more organic and involving), and actually perform even better micro detail.

Never touch volume more than 12 o'clock, Diana seems driven with ease. Ok, the exception is for classical songs in dsd format, even so, it's only up to 2 o'clock. As we know, the SA1 is exponential (non linear) volume pot, so actually still plenty of power left.
How is Singxer a step up? It seems like its inferior to the A90 from all the reports I have read.

Jul 30, 2021 at 1:43 AM Post #4,224 of 7,410
So I've been testing the Phi and V2 with this setup, and I was having second thoughts after purchasing the Phi. The Phi is definitely a step up in terms of technicality and performance compared to the V2. However, the Phi is very dependant on the electronics that you are using.. and it is very, VERY revealing/transparent. Poorly recorded/mastered songs just sounds mehh on the Phi. Songs that are mastered well on the other hand, sounds incredible.. especially with the Formula S & Powerman, it just blows my mind away.

The V2 works really well on most electronics, I don't see it scaling as much as the Phi. The reason I was having second thoughts was due to me missing that smoothness and more relaxed, with a touch of warmth that the V2 has. After a few days with both pairs, I decided to stick with the Phi. I have a Qutest coming in today, to see how much the Qutest will compare to the RME ADI-2 DAC FS.

Abyss_RME__XI_Audio.jpeg

Jul 30, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #4,225 of 7,410
How is Singxer a step up? It seems like its inferior to the A90 from all the reports I have read.

As I wrote above, step up in midrange area and micro detail. I think it's 50:50 (or perhaps more for singxer, depend on where you read them I guess?) because if you read on singxer thread there are some people who change from A90 to SA-1. Also happened in my local community here.

My personal opinion, both of them excellent amp for the price, being transparent and neutral, that reveal much about DAC's sound. Not that A90 being totally inferior actually, as A90 hit harder attack, with more bass definition and more rumble. So everything back to the synergy of system.

Have Singxer and A90 on my desk now, along with Wells milo kozmo. Singxer definitely at the softer side, and milo the most aggressive one. A90 is in the middle, but closer to singxer.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2021 at 10:13 PM Post #4,226 of 7,410
Two weeks with diana phi: Clean, fast, precise and bliss for low volume listening. My morning music time always with low volume (50-60db), and dare i say this headphone give me one of the best experience. Sound seems cohesive, clear, and imaging really well placed.

Jul 30, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #4,227 of 7,410
Two weeks with diana phi: Clean, fast, precise and bliss for low volume listening. My morning music time always with low volume (50-60db), and dare i say this headphone give me one of the best experience. Sound seems cohesive, clear, and imaging really well placed.
What kind of music do you normally listen to? I tend to agree with your assessments.
The V2 vs Phi thing has me always going back and forth.

I ultimately went with the V2 due to price and anecdotes of the Phi being "too much of a good thing" in a nut shell.
I only use my Diana for jazz, instrumental, big band and occasional orchestral and it excels.

A lot of times I realize the people reviewing don't listen to the genres I do at all and so some dismissive reviews end up being irrelevant to my uses.

For example I only use my LCD2 closed for electronic music and they perform admirably. For jazz they're a pass for me but it seems like LCD2 are tuned for pop/rock/hip hop or more mainstream music.
Obviously the best way to find out is to try it out but im starting to think the Phi would closer to my end game than the V2 (which I love).

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2021 at 11:32 PM Post #4,228 of 7,410
What kind of music do you normally listen to?

I ultimately went with the V2 due to price and anecdotes of the Phi being "too much of a good thing" in a nut shell.
I only use my Diana for jazz, instrumental, big band and occasional orchestral and it excels.

A lot of times I realize the people reviewing don't listen to the genres I do at all and so some dismissive reviews end up being irrelevant to my uses.

For example I only use my LCD2 closed for electronic music and they perform admirably. For jazz they're a pass for me but it seems like LCD2 are tuned for pop/rock/hip hop or more mainstream music.
Obviously the best way to find out is to try it out but im starting to think the Phi would closer to my end game than the V2 (which I love).
I agree, the V2 vs. Phi has me going back and forth too. I recently tried out the Qutest on the Phi (replacing the RME ADI-2 DAC FS), and it solved my issues with the Phi. Now the Phi has the same smoothness, and fluidity of the V2, it's also much more forgiving on badly recorded/mastered songs. The Phi itself is like watching a movie in 4K, with the RME, it's like watching it in 8K.. a bit too neutral, and flat in my opinion.

I guess, you really have to tinker with a few electronics to see which pairs well with your sound preference. While the V2, just sounds great on the get go.

Jul 31, 2021 at 2:19 AM Post #4,229 of 7,410
Been waiting for 5 weeks for my Diana V2, hoping they will ship soon with the new pad update! Do y'all have any suggestions for smaller desktop sized DAC/amp pairing that I can upgrade from a Schiit Modius and Monoprice 887?

Considerations:
  • Size: preferably not too wide, like the Flux Labs FA-10 and Headamp GS-X mini. I like the size of my current gear.
  • R2R DAC with minimal to no lag: I heard that both the Denafrips Ares II and Musician Pegasus have some delay/audio lag, which would not be great as I also game with my desktop computer.
  • No tubes: My desktop computer heats up my room enough in the roasting hot summer for now.
  • No Chord please: I find myself in the odd position of really disliking the design language that Chord uses.
I was looking at a few options, with plans on updating the amp first due to others thoughts on THX AAA amps:
  • Wait for a new Holo Audio Cyan, supposedly coming out next year. The other Holo Audio DACs seem amazing, but are huge!
  • Upgrade to XIAudio Broadway, since the Broadway S supposedly doesn't have juice the Dianas would prefer
    • An intermediate alternative before spending this much was the Topping A90, as mentioned previously
  • Upgrade to the Burson Soloist 3x
  • Upgrade DAC to a Schitt Bifrost 2 if I don't prefer the sound of the Modius after replacing the amplifier (luckily I live near the Schittr to try stuff out)
Any advice is much appreciated!

Jul 31, 2021 at 3:18 AM Post #4,230 of 7,410
What kind of music do you normally listen to? I tend to agree with your assessments.

Mostly songs with vocal, in some genres: jazz, pop, rock, acoustic

and sometimes... when the full moon arrive I listen to classical

I the most significant upgrade of phi from v2 is the clarity on midrange that really rich of texture and micro detail, with more spacious imaging, but retain that fluid smooth treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back