Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Jul 31, 2021 at 4:24 AM Post #4,231 of 7,412
Been waiting for 5 weeks for my Diana V2, hoping they will ship soon with the new pad update! Do y'all have any suggestions for smaller desktop sized DAC/amp pairing that I can upgrade from a Schiit Modius and Monoprice 887?

Considerations:
  • Size: preferably not too wide, like the Flux Labs FA-10 and Headamp GS-X mini. I like the size of my current gear.
  • R2R DAC with minimal to no lag: I heard that both the Denafrips Ares II and Musician Pegasus have some delay/audio lag, which would not be great as I also game with my desktop computer.
  • No tubes: My desktop computer heats up my room enough in the roasting hot summer for now.
  • No Chord please: I find myself in the odd position of really disliking the design language that Chord uses.
I was looking at a few options, with plans on updating the amp first due to others thoughts on THX AAA amps:
  • Wait for a new Holo Audio Cyan, supposedly coming out next year. The other Holo Audio DACs seem amazing, but are huge!
  • Upgrade to XIAudio Broadway, since the Broadway S supposedly doesn't have juice the Dianas would prefer
    • An intermediate alternative before spending this much was the Topping A90, as mentioned previously
  • Upgrade to the Burson Soloist 3x
  • Upgrade DAC to a Schitt Bifrost 2 if I don't prefer the sound of the Modius after replacing the amplifier (luckily I live near the Schittr to try stuff out)
Any advice is much appreciated!

I think the Broadway will pair really well with your V2.
I have tried both the V2 and Phi on the Formula S, and it's amazing.

Jul 31, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #4,234 of 7,412
Yeah, I keep climbing up the ladder for the headphone I want XD. Everything below 3k just has these dumb quirks I dislike. Never heard any of them of course, but only the higher end stuff is catching my attention. I wanted the Diana/V2 as it seems to check most boxes but it also has to be portable cuz I hop around quite a bit. It doesn't need a nuclear reactor to power unlike the 1266, extremely portable, lightweight, tiny. Resolution and detail like none other. I had to work 15 days in a row just to come up with the cash lol...and now I wonder if I should just get a sub 2k iem. THIS HOBBY.

I am assuming DAPs are out of the question though.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #4,235 of 7,412
Yeah, I keep climbing up the ladder for the headphone I want XD. Everything below 3k just has these dumb quirks I dislike. Never heard any of them of course, but only the higher end stuff is catching my attention. I wanted the Diana/V2 as it seems to check most boxes but it also has to be portable cuz I hop around quite a bit. It doesn't need a nuclear reactor to power unlike the 1266, extremely portable, lightweight, tiny. Resolution and detail like none other. I had to work 15 days in a row just to come up with the cash lol...and now I wonder if I should just get a sub 2k iem. THIS HOBBY.

I am assuming DAPs are out of the question though.
Diana V2 would pair well with ibasso dx300. Not to mention DX300 have sound character that match V2 , full body, wide soundstage and that little extra heft on bass is fun to listen.

Jul 31, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #4,239 of 7,412
Do you mind sharing where you heard this? That would be an amazing, compact duo!
I would believe that I previously had seen somebody, within this forum, state that XIAUDIO would be producing that Broadway DAC.

However, I, now, would not be able to discover that previous post.

At some point within time, after I had discovered that XIAUDIO would be producing that Broadway DAC, I had enquired together with XIAUDIO, to enquire regarding that amount of time, for that Broadway DAC to be able to be released.

XIAUDIO had informed me, within that point within time, that that Broadway DAC would be able to be released within those beginning two weeks for this August.

Aug 7, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #4,240 of 7,412
Anyone experiment with cable on Diana Phi?

For the last two days I use effect audio ares 2+ cable. At first I have nothing in my expectation, but it turns out a pleasing "upgrade" for me. No, not suddenly detail, imaging, separation become much better, actually I think all of those technical abilities remain the same, but with bigger soundstage. What I like the most is this cable remove some "hardness" in sound, that make Phi noticeably more fluid and (very) slight more relax.

It is not really changing the tonal balance, but rather the nuance of overall sound, which is exactly what I need.

Aug 7, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #4,241 of 7,412
Oh okay, gotcha. It still wouldn't matter. The Phi is just to far ahead of the V2 in terms of resolution, clarity and overall technical ability. There's no way to EQ that in unfortunately. You can own all three Abyss headphones and get three different performance levels. Each giving you more as you step up. I'm thinking about moving back up to the Phi's as my setup is evolving. Now I want a more detail sound.

I don't want to hi-jack the 4z thread with all of our Diana talk.

It would be nice if they could do a video on the technical difference between the substrates used. Everything else is the same I think. I remain skeptical.

Are you liking the PHI more than your susvara ? What is the 1-10 score with that comparison ?

@Abyss Headphones Any update on those new pads ?

Aug 7, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #4,242 of 7,412
I don't want to hi-jack the 4z thread with all of our Diana talk.

It would be nice if they could do a video on the technical difference between the substrates used. Everything else is the same I think. I remain skeptical.

Are you liking the PHI more than your susvara ? What is the 1-10 score with that comparison ?

@Abyss Headphones Any update on those new pads ?
There is a video of the Abyss team taking about the difference between the V2 and Phi. Check out the post here

Are you talking about Diana Phi vs Susvara or Abyss Phi TC vs. Susvara?

I haven’t heard any new updates on the new pad offerings

Aug 7, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #4,243 of 7,412
There is a video of the Abyss team taking about the difference between the V2 and Phi. Check out the post here

Are you talking about Diana Phi vs Susvara or Abyss Phi TC vs. Susvara?

I haven’t heard any new updates on the new pad offerings

I've seen that video before, but watched it again. Joe says "Similar magnet structure, basically different diaphragm materials". <<< That is what I'd like to see a video on, rest is just overview on sound profile.

If Susvara is a 10 what is the Diana PHI on a 1-10 scale for you ?

Aug 7, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #4,244 of 7,412
I've seen that video before, but watched it again. Joe says "Similar magnet structure, basically different diaphragm materials". <<< That is what I'd like to see a video on, rest is just overview on sound profile.

If Susvara is a 10 what is the Diana PHI on a 1-10 scale for you ?
They probably won't talk about that because I'm sure it involves disclosing some trade secrets.

If the Susvara's are a 10, then I would rate the Diana Phi's a 8 - 8.5 against them, but a 9 - 9.5 against every other headphone at or below their price point. They are missing some of the Susvara's naturalness and midrange prowess. Outside of that, the Diana Phi's are darn good sounding headphones.

Aug 7, 2021 at 11:26 PM Post #4,245 of 7,412
They probably won't talk about that because I'm sure it involves disclosing some trade secrets.

If the Susvara's are a 10, then I would rate the Diana Phi's a 8 - 8.5 against them, but a 9 - 9.5 against every other headphone at or below their price point. They are missing some of the Susvara's naturalness and midrange prowess. Outside of that, the Diana Phi's are darn good sounding headphones.

Maybe, but curious non the less.

And sound stage to you would be edged out by susvara as well ?

There was a susvara for sale the other day for 3500 and I would of snagged it, but it sold too quickly. I'm not willing to pay that price for a used PHI though since you can get them cheaper than that.

I wish Diana had better rear dust protection. I love the front though, it so easy to clean. I tuck mine in every night with a cover . The susvara back looks pretty open too, I see a mesh, but is that all there is for dust protection ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back