Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Aug 12, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #4,261 of 7,337
Diana Phi is pretty accurate to create image of soundstage, extremely depends on recording and set up. More than few times it surprised me when I played some classical songs in good recording.

Most of my mainstream songs become a bit intimate and everything being closer though. Recording problem.

I agree that HD800 still project wider soundstage though, but feel hollow and incomplete next to Diana.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2021 at 7:39 AM Post #4,262 of 7,337
Am running Diana Phi from IFI Diablo and Purifier3, via my laptop and Tidal. Any way to tame the 'harshness' a little?

Aug 19, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #4,263 of 7,337
Am running Diana Phi from IFI Diablo and Purifier3, via my laptop and Tidal. Any way to tame the 'harshness' a little?

Changing cable to something like good occ copper should be helpful (if you cable believer). Personally I use effect audio ares 2+, and it gives me satisfying result. More relax and fluid upper mid /lower treble combine with wider soundstage.

p.s: I never really think that Diana Phi is harsh, but this occ copper offer more fluid presentation that suit me well.

Aug 19, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #4,264 of 7,337
The SuperConductor made a difference to my ear.
Its stupid expensive but it really does change the presentation of the Diana especially concerning the "dryness" of the mids.

Aug 19, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #4,265 of 7,337
Its stupid expensive but it really does change the presentation of the Diana especially concerning the "dryness" of the mids.
Was this with Diana Phi or V2? I had Superconductor with V2 and did not hear a difference. I am not saying cables do not make a difference in general, just that with V2 I did not hear it.

Aug 19, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #4,266 of 7,337
Was this with Diana Phi or V2? I had Superconductor with V2 and did not hear a difference. I am not saying cables do not make a difference in general, just that with V2 I did not hear it.
I own a V2 and noticed a difference when I tried it on my Diablo vs the stock cable.

At first I thought it was most likely just the output/volume due to going from single ended to balanced but after going back to stock I notice the mids are much more dry and overall the cans have a less rounded, smoother sound. Just IME of course.

I was never suggested what difference it would make vs the stock cable but after perusing the threads it seems a lot of people conclude to similar enhancements the Superconductor brings over the stock.

Also, Ive been wanting to get a hold of a stock balanced cable to compare again on my XI Broadway since that only takes balanced.
TBH im hoping its actually just in my head or the difference is very minimal so I can sell off all my expensive cables and put it towards a 1266.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #4,267 of 7,337
What other headphones would you classify as "starter", or what is the reference base line and crossover from "starter" to Mid-range, to TOTL?
I am looking at auditioning Diana V2, LCD24 and D8K pro is why I ask, and I am curious.
Diana V2 is very very different from D8000 Pro. The latter is much more transparent and not as intimate/warm. They are good complements tough.

Aug 19, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #4,268 of 7,337
I own a V2 and noticed a difference when I tried it on my Diablo vs the stock cable.

At first I thought it was most likely just the output/volume due to going from single ended to balanced but after going back to stock I notice the mids are much more dry and overall the cans have a less rounded, smoother sound. Just IME of course.

I was never suggested what difference it would make vs the stock cable but after perusing the threads it seems a lot of people conclude to similar enhancements the Superconductor brings over the stock.

Also, Ive been wanting to get a hold of a stock balanced cable to compare again on my XI Broadway since that only takes balanced.
TBH im hoping its actually just in my head or the difference is very minimal so I can sell off all my expensive cables and put it towards a 1266.

Well I am probably the only person in the world to go from a AB-1266 TC to a Diana Phi, having just parted with my Chord/TC setup :)

I owned the Diana Phis for a short while before on a demo, and when I needed to return them it was one of the few headphones I have ever truly missed. I wanted to downsize, and purchasing the Phi's given my previous experience with them was a no-brainer. They strike the perfect balance between comfort, design and sound quality, the latter which is notably different to the AB1266 and its micro-detail but not such a overall loss that I am missing them much so far.

Re the harshness I posted about, having listened all day today it is probably more a case of album-dependant as other ones I listened to were softer. I probably would look at a Superconductor cable but only were there to be one for sale here that would be terminated for the Diablo.

Aug 19, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #4,269 of 7,337

Interesting, thank you very much for posting your findings! I wonder if the difference could be with iFi Diablo. When I had it, I only used it single ended (since I had Hugo 2 as well, which only takes single ended). I added Superconductor cable much later, when I no longer had Diablo, and instead bought Romi BX2-Plus, which allowed me to use balanced termination. So as you can see, I never tried Diablo with Superconductor.

Aug 20, 2021 at 3:16 AM Post #4,270 of 7,337
Guys, is there any way to make V2 vocal sound sweeter, younger or more lively? It's kinda dry as mentioned above. Battery powered transport dac/amp recommendation or EQ method all welcomed. Currently drive with idsd signature, but don't like the sound for V2

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 6:52 AM Post #4,271 of 7,337
Guys, is there any way to make V2 vocal sound sweeter, younger or more lively? It's kinda dry as mentioned above. Battery powered transport dac/amp recommendation or EQ method all welcomed. Currently drive with idsd signature, but don't like the sound for V2
The Superconductor cable fixes this, but it's an expensive option. I have one on my set of V2's. You could also try a different amp like XIAudio Broadway. It's battery powered..

Aug 20, 2021 at 7:07 AM Post #4,272 of 7,337
The Superconductor cable fixes this, but it's an expensive option. I have one on my set of V2's. You could also try a different amp like XIAudio Broadway. It's battery powered..
Thanks! I probably won't go the cable route, rather spend that much money on something else. I'd like to try Broadway yes, do you know which Dac pairs with it well?

Aug 20, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #4,273 of 7,337

I tend to agree that Diana V2 sound dry on idsd signature. Much better when combine with WA8, or to some desktop amp like Singxer.

Anyway, yesterday I got old pad of Diana V2 to compare with my latest pad on Diana Phi.

The newer pad push soundstage a little wider, with slight more presence in midrange. The old pad seems slight v-shape in tis comparison, push more upper mid/lower treble and mid bass.

I like the newer pad for Phi, as it smoother on lower treble area, and I do like the newer pad on Diana V2 as well, because midrange more presence.

Aug 20, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #4,274 of 7,337
I tend to agree that Diana V2 sound dry on idsd signature. Much better when combine with WA8, or to some desktop amp like Singxer.

Anyway, yesterday I got old pad of Diana V2 to compare with my latest pad on Diana Phi.

The newer pad push soundstage a little wider, with slight more presence in midrange. The old pad seems slight v-shape in tis comparison, push more upper mid/lower treble and mid bass.

I like the newer pad for Phi, as it smoother on lower treble area, and I do like the newer pad on Diana V2 as well, because midrange more presence.
There are too many pad versions which all look alike, I'm fine with current pads, and I do wish soundstage a little wider while the depth is great already.
Just checked on WA8, it says 250mw@32ohm, you sure it's powerful enough? It's good looking though, and the size is exactly what I want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back