Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Jul 23, 2021 at 1:33 AM Post #4,202 of 7,443
I never said that. My issue is the constant silent revisions without regard to purchases made weeks/months prior. You apparently think I'm naive/selfish enough to expect a company to only update when I'm ready to sell.

I don't like it when I communicate with a business and they're not totally honest or transparent about their manufacturing.
I guess that's too much to ask for my money much like your complaining about the ear-pads not being up to par for yours.
It is funny, I'm thinking about buying a pair of Diana's, though not sure if it will be the Phi or the V2. Reading this thread I'm tempted to wait a month just to be sure that I get the new pads. I sent Abyss a note last night and they were prompt in responding with answers to my questions about current wait time to ship orders. It makes me wish that I'd asked about the pad issue.

I don't believe that any business should stop innovating on their products, but as @Ficcion2 mentions, when these updates are frequent and not communicated it can cause frustration with recent purchasers and delays with new purchasers.

One of my other interests (or obsessions) is espresso. There are lots of parallels between the audiophile headphone hobby and coffee. I'm researching my next espresso grinder. In looking at a small company called Versalab, they are a great example of the issue that is being discussed above. They released a grinder in 2005 and improve upon the initial design every several years. Their website actually lists each innovation and change in the product. They list the year of the innovation, describe the innovation and show the serial numbers that received the improvements. Most importantly, they provide an upgrade path so that early purchasers can add the changes to their units. To me this is an awesome way to both innovate as well as to bring their customer base along.

Jul 23, 2021 at 7:19 AM Post #4,203 of 7,443
I never said that. My issue is the constant silent revisions without regard to purchases made weeks/months prior. You apparently think I'm naive/selfish enough to expect a company to only update when I'm ready to sell.

I don't like it when I communicate with a business and they're not totally honest or transparent about their manufacturing.
I guess that's too much to ask for my money much like your complaining about the ear-pads not being up to par for yours.

Your reason is understandable. Sadly, these kind of silent revision happen everywhere (Audeze and Hifiman also update few of their line up without write anything on their web).

And as far I remember, Chord also do the same for Mojo back at 2-3 years ago due to supplier issue. Also happen with RME ADi2, I think they change 3 different dac chip fro the last 2 years, also supplier issue I guess as AKM is a bit rare nowadays. RME stated the update in their web though.

That what I know, and I think more silent revision happen out there on multiple brands that I don't really follow about their update.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #4,204 of 7,443
It is funny, I'm thinking about buying a pair of Diana's, though not sure if it will be the Phi or the V2. Reading this thread I'm tempted to wait a month just to be sure that I get the new pads. I sent Abyss a note last night and they were prompt in responding with answers to my questions about current wait time to ship orders. It makes me wish that I'd asked about the pad issue.

I don't believe that any business should stop innovating on their products, but as @Ficcion2 mentions, when these updates are frequent and not communicated it can cause frustration with recent purchasers and delays with new purchasers.

One of my other interests (or obsessions) is espresso. There are lots of parallels between the audiophile headphone hobby and coffee. I'm researching my next espresso grinder. In looking at a small company called Versalab, they are a great example of the issue that is being discussed above. They released a grinder in 2005 and improve upon the initial design every several years. Their website actually lists each innovation and change in the product. They list the year of the innovation, describe the innovation and show the serial numbers that received the improvements. Most importantly, they provide an upgrade path so that early purchasers can add the changes to their units. To me this is an awesome way to both innovate as well as to bring their customer base along.
Are you leaning more towards the V2 or Phi?
I think if you place the order now, it should come with the updated headband, frame and earpads.

Jul 23, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #4,205 of 7,443
Thanks for the insight on the timing issue. I am leaning toward the V2's. I very much enjoy the 1266 TCs, but am looking for something a bit more suited for casual listening. I'm trying to solve for mids presented in a more forward fashion and something that is smaller. Empy's and Susvaras are also contenders. I know that these are all pretty different cans, but there are different elements of each that I find appealing.

Jul 23, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #4,206 of 7,443
We've moved production of Diana's ear pads and headband to North America. They are functionally the same, made with higher quality materials, and with the ear pads have a bit of added comfort. We've been working to bring ear pad production in-house for some time now. We'll do a video talking about this on our youtube channel soon. Diana Phi gray and V2 black have already begun shipping with the new black leathers, brown will follow soon. Thanks!

ABYSS Headphones We engineer, machine, and build our headphones from scratch in New York, USA. Stay updated on ABYSS Headphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AbyssHeadphones https://twitter.com/AbyssHeadphones https://www.instagram.com/abyssheadphones/ https://abyss-headphones.com/ info@Abyss-Headphones.com
Jul 23, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #4,207 of 7,443
We've moved production of Diana's ear pads and headband to North America. They are functionally the same, made with higher quality materials, and with the ear pads have a bit of added comfort. We've been working to bring ear pad production in-house for some time now. We'll do a video talking about this on our youtube channel soon. Diana Phi gray and V2 black have already begun shipping with the new black leathers, brown will follow soon. Thanks!
Thank you a ton for the quick response!! Customer support and engagement go a long way in this space. It is much appreciated.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #4,208 of 7,443
Definitely interested to see the video on the changes!

Jul 24, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #4,209 of 7,443
Can second that. The WA11 muddies and warms up the midrange without really giving the bass any significant or noticeable boost. The Diana V2 already has a pretty forgiving and pleasant midrange Imo, if anything it could do with a little more bass, but giving the midrange more warmth (and in the process, mud), while leaving the bass quite flat and reference just seems like an overkill

I also tried the WA11 with some IEMs who's signatures I'm way more accustomed to, and I found that it does almost nothing for the bass while muddying up the midrange in almost all cases. Wouldn't recommend it personally, and I'd recommend it even less at its rather obscene price point
What about WA8?

Jul 25, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #4,210 of 7,443
What about WA8?

WA8 is my most favourite portable amp for both of Diana, very sweet sounding but retain clear and rich of texture. However, power may a bit limited, especially for DSD songs that usually require extra gain to sound as loud as PCM.

Haven't listened to cayin c9 though, but heard great report from it.

Jul 27, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #4,211 of 7,443
Is the Hugo 2 good enough to do the Phi's justice?

Jul 27, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #4,212 of 7,443
Jul 27, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #4,214 of 7,443
Absolutely not lol

I'm considering a second setup and loved my time with the Phi's, ideally am after something not too substantial in size to run them from that isn't a TT2.

Jul 27, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #4,215 of 7,443
Is the Hugo 2 good enough to do the Phi's justice?
I owned Diana V2 and Hugo 2 was not powerful enough. Look into Romi Audio BX2-Plus or iFi Diablo instead.

ideally am after something not too substantial in size to run them from that isn't a TT2.
I eventually upgraded to TT2 and sold off my Hugo 2, that was getting over heated too often.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back