Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Jul 18, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #4,171 of 7,571
20210718_172221.jpg

Left is the latest Diana Phi, while right is Diana V2 from March 2020.

Actually if I measure the outer diameter, the newer pad has almost similar wide the older one (only a little wider), but with significantly more padding inside and more depth.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #4,172 of 7,571
20210718_172221.jpg

Actually if I measure the outer diameter, the newer pad has almost similar wide the older one (only a little wider), but with significantly more padding inside and more depth.
Perhaps worth calling out is that Abyss not only changed the pads, but they also changed the angle of the headband. I had two Dianas (demo and my own), they both had exactly the same pads (like yours from 2020), BUT they had different headband angles. So I assume pads were changed a bit later (just a couple of weeks from what I keep hearing).

Jul 18, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #4,173 of 7,571
20210718_172221.jpg

Have you been able to ascertain any specifically apparent sonic differentiations of characteristic between the two types of pad which you could describe ?

Jul 18, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #4,175 of 7,571
The new pads look like a beat up doughnut. I know I'm perhaps being overly critical but for a 3 or 4 thousand dollar headphone this is pretty sorry.
I thought the same thing! Lol

Jul 18, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #4,177 of 7,571
Perhaps worth calling out is that Abyss not only changed the pads, but they also changed the angle of the headband. I had two Dianas (demo and my own), they both had exactly the same pads (like yours from 2020), BUT they had different headband angles. So I assume pads were changed a bit later (just a couple of weeks from what I keep hearing).
Well, very true, they changed the headband for better comfort (at least for me).

The new pads look like a beat up doughnut. I know I'm perhaps being overly critical but for a 3 or 4 thousand dollar headphone this is pretty sorry.
I think the combination of more depth in size + Diana's headband press (squish) both of them together create that shape.

Anyway, still trying to find a great pairing amp (fully aware that Formula S is the answer, but let's see how other manufactures able to keep up). This time is an old school Cavalli.

2021_0817_16033200.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #4,179 of 7,571
Looks like what an Audeze ear pad would of looked like during the prototype days, not quite a donut. I can't image it would be acceptable for a 3-4k "luxury" headphone to have pads that look like that.....but who knows. If its true they should update their website images. I thought the headphone discomfort was in the extreme minority anyways.

Jul 18, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #4,181 of 7,571
I don't know that I'd call it an *extreme* minority. It seems to be quite common. Mine were unwearable until I added a headband pad and modded the pads myself. And they're still not particularly comfortable.
Sorta paraphrasing what I read months back when comfort was the topic. Can't really know for sure.

Jul 19, 2021 at 2:38 AM Post #4,182 of 7,571
Looks like what an Audeze ear pad would of looked like during the prototype days, not quite a donut. I can't image it would be acceptable for a 3-4k "luxury" headphone to have pads that look like that.....but who knows. If its true they should update their website images. I thought the headphone discomfort was in the extreme minority anyways.
Well for me comfort is the most important factor, along with sound quality. This new pad is definitely a great bless.

Shakes in envy :ksc75smile:
Well, personally milo kozmo has better synergy with Diana though. Milo seems cleaner through all spectrum, with slight more tame presence of mid to treble area.

Jul 20, 2021 at 6:13 AM Post #4,185 of 7,571
Hey everyone!

I left the audio world about a year ago, sold my Verite Open and CMA Twelve Master. For the past couple of weeks, I have been testing the Abyss Diana V2 and the Phi (loaned from TheMiddleSky, p.s. thank you very much!!). I loved both headphones very much, from the build quality all the way to how they sounded. I was so close on purchasing the V2, but realized that the headband and pads were causing comfort & sealing issues. I then received the newly updated Phi, all of my comfort issues were fixed! It's super comfortable now, and I'm so glad Abyss fixed the headband and earpads. I have attached some photos, and you can see they've added two bumps on the left and right side of the headband.

Cheers,
James

Attachments

• Phi.jpeg
    Phi.jpeg
    113.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Phi 2.jpeg
    Phi 2.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 0
  • Phi 3.jpeg
    Phi 3.jpeg
    99.6 KB · Views: 0