Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Jul 4, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #4,141 of 7,417
Guys, I think the unimaginable just happened to me, and my V2 is broken. I started hearing a strange rattling noise in the right canal. I first noticed it when listening to Josh Turner's cover of Something by the Beatles on YouTube. It's quite bassy and on certain beats there is audible cracking. At first I thought it was part of the arrangement, but then I noticed it with other music. It's not always present, and manifest only when bass goes deeper. I thought this headphone is indestructible, and I can't consider the situation anything but tragedy. Has anyone encountered anything similar, can a driver be replaced? Please advice. Mayday! Mayday!

Go to this tone generator site and see what frequency triggers the rattle. Be sure you turn the volume down before you start just to be safe.

Jul 4, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #4,142 of 7,417
So if you made the bass and treble output the same to your ears it would really come down to the sound stage as the biggest difference ?
There still would be some differences in presentation. The Susvara's is more extended at both ends of the frequency spectrum, has a more nuanced midrange, and is resolving, with a more 3D soundstage. These things are at the TC level of ability. Something the V2 couldn't reproduce or replicate even with EQ.

Jul 4, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #4,143 of 7,417
There still would be some differences in presentation. The Susvara's is more extended at both ends of the frequency spectrum, has a more nuanced midrange, and is resolving, with a more 3D soundstage. These things are at the TC level of ability. Something the V2 couldn't reproduce or replicate even with EQ.

I think the psychoacoustic effects of soundstage is what gives it the "3d" and more "resolving" attributes. Would you agree ?

Jul 4, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #4,144 of 7,417
I think the psychoacoustic effects of soundstage is what gives it the "3d" and more "resolving" attributes. Would you agree ?
Yes, but it sounds so good. Like a set of estats with fuller sound and better bass.

Jul 4, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #4,145 of 7,417
Go to this tone generator site and see what frequency triggers the rattle. Be sure you turn the volume down before you start just to be safe.
Thank you for that! Yes, the right driver starts rattling at 29 hz. And the rattling character changes as I move my head, if I tilt it to the right the rattling becomes louder and more pronounced. I think the membrane became loose somehow. Nearly forgot... I recorded how it rattles.

Attachments

• V2 rattling at 29 HZ.zip
    156.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 5, 2021 at 2:40 AM Post #4,147 of 7,417
Thank you for that! Yes, the right driver starts rattling at 29 hz. And the rattling character changes as I move my head, if I tilt it to the right the rattling becomes louder and more pronounced. I think the membrane became loose somehow. Nearly forgot... I recorded how it rattles.

How disappointing, did you buy it new in Russia ? Keep us posted on the solution.

I've been having fun with that tone generator adding sub bass presents in songs though.:L3000:

Jul 5, 2021 at 2:57 AM Post #4,148 of 7,417
How disappointing, did you buy it new in Russia ? Keep us posted on the solution.

I've been having fun with that tone generator adding sub bass presents in songs though.:L3000:
Yeah, very disappointing, and so timely - I just discovered Roon! No, I bought it from a headfier in the US. No idea how this could happen, or what I could have done to cause this damage. I've been using it carefully... I emailed Abyss. I'll also contact local headphone dealer, perhaps they can fix.

Jul 5, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #4,150 of 7,417
Jul 5, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #4,152 of 7,417
Still not decided yet, it's also 2 weeks of lockdown here, so I have plenty time to think.

Btw, what do you think about luxman p750 vs Formula S to drive Diana/Phi TC/LCD 4Z?
Both drive all three very well. The difference is tone. The Formula S leans towards neutral, dynamic, resolving, open sounding, impactful bass and fast type of sound. The Luxman has a slightly warmer, fuller, dynamic, spacious, tube-like sweetness to its sound. It doesn’t lack dynamics or resolve it’s just have the crispness of the the Formula S. The Luxman is just smooth, confident, and begs to be turned up.

Both have good weight to the music. The Luxman sounds like it has more drive and feels more powerful even though they have nearly the same specs. I like the Luxman because if fills up each headphone with music. The TC‘s sound big, full-bodied, holographic, with tactical bass, lush mids and excellent clarity. The Formula S tends to stay rather transparent, not as full bodied, but it makes up for it with better attack and slightly faster transients. I like the Formula S with warmer sounding headphones, like the Diana V2’s and LCD-4z’s. The Luxman adds more depth and body to headphones like TC, Susvara’s, Utopia’s and headphones that are more neutral, brighter, and more airy sounding.

I love that I have two distinct sounding amps that serve two different purposes. Truthfully they both can drive everything headphone. They just differ in presentation but have all the sonic traits that make listening to music enjoyable.

Jul 6, 2021 at 12:05 AM Post #4,153 of 7,417
Keep us posted on the solution.
There is an update on my situation with the rattling V2 driver. I contacted Abyss about it and sent them the sound file to illustrate the problem. They said that it sounded like there was a hair (or something else) inside one of the slots of the driver. That makes sense because I did some pad rolling a few days ago and that's when the rattling occurred. I inspected the driver, haven't detected a hair or anything like that, but anyway delicately blew it through, and there were no distortions after the manipulation. I didn't test it with low frequency tones, though, being afraid the rattling will reoccur. Thought I want to spend a few days in blissful ignorance, and will give it a test later. At the end of the day, my V2 sounds as awesome as it used to before the incident, and I happily returned to enjoying the Roon's trial period. That's a hell of a software - looks nice, sounds nice, has tons of features and even has a parametric EQ.

And regarding the pad rolling, some time ago, I noticed that if you lift the drivers just a few millimeters, the sound, if not improves, but becomes a bit different and very enjoyable with some added body. I repositioned the pads with thicker side up, which gave the drivers a more elevated position over ears, and SQ changed the way that I noticed when I lifted the drivers manually. Yeah, sounds a bit weird, but I already re-listened half of Megadeth's catalog and it never sounded as great! I call upon every Diana owner to turn over their pads too! :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021 at 1:33 AM Post #4,154 of 7,417
There is an update on my situation with the rattling V2 driver. I contacted Abyss about it and sent them the sound file to illustrate the problem. They said that it sounded like there was a hair (or something else) inside one of the slots of the driver. That makes sense because I did some pad rolling a few days ago and that's when the rattling occurred. I inspected the driver, haven't detected a hair or anything like that, but anyway delicately blew it through, and there were no distortions after the manipulation. I didn't test it with low frequency tones, though, being afraid the rattling will reoccur. Thought I want to spend a few days in blissful ignorance, and will give it a test later. At the end of the day, my V2 sounds as awesome as it used to before the incident, and I happily returned to enjoying the Roon's trial period. That's a hell of a software - looks nice, sounds nice, has tons of features and even has a parametric EQ.

And regarding the pad rolling, some time ago, I noticed that if you lift the drivers just a few millimeters, the sound, if not improves, but becomes a bit different and very enjoyable with some added body. I repositioned the pads with thicker side up, which gave the drivers a more elevated position over ears, and SQ changed the way that I noticed when I lifted the drivers manually. Yeah, sounds a bit weird, but I already re-listened half of Megadeth's catalog and it never sounded as great! I call upon every Diana owner to turn over their pads too! :sweat_smile:
I did that to mine and that’s the most open sounding option. Not the most comfortable though… I got the stitching pointing up and backwards.

Jul 6, 2021 at 2:05 AM Post #4,155 of 7,417
I did that to mine and that’s the most open sounding option. Not the most comfortable though… I got the stitching pointing up and backwards.

This is why you will find a lot of AB-1266 owners like them, as you can completely tailor the amount of bass just by placing / assembling the headphone differently on your head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back