Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Jul 3, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #4,127 of 7,416
@Slim1970 What is the susvara like compared to the V2 to you ? Stock and or with EQ.
The V2’s are a lot fuller sounding than the Susvara’s. Add the Superconductor cable to the V2’s and the midrange thickens up. It completes the V2’s sound. They become balanced from top to bottom, love them.

The Susvara’s are more open, more natural sounding and faster. The V2’s resolve nicely but the Susvara’s more so. The Susvara once you get the amping right, it next level good. To my ears the V2’s are a better daily driver because they are the more musical and more forgiving headphone.

The Susvara’s because of their neutrality EQ better. The Diana V2’s don’t need EQ personally. They sound just about right.

Jul 4, 2021 at 2:07 AM Post #4,128 of 7,416
Do you guys actually hear any V2 distortion that ASR shows?

Jul 4, 2021 at 2:22 AM Post #4,129 of 7,416
I’m enjoying the Diana V2’s with the iFi Zen stack. It’s surprisingly a very detailed and musical listen. I’m using the +12dB gain setting, with xBass and 3D engaged with plenty of headroom. There’s one more gain setting of +18dB, but it’s not needed. I’m somewhere around 1 o’clock on the volume dial and the sound is full-bodied and weighty. The Zen stack does a good job at maintaining the Diana’s resolution and speed, which is a plus. If anyone is looking for a budget stack that isn’t bright or overly neutral that can drive the Diana V2’s nicely should give this setup a go. I think you’ll be surprised :).

F339334D-C22A-45FD-9092-081040B5FE5F.jpeg
Hi, I read somewhere you own Formula S too right? I own Zen Dac, thinking about getting a Zen Can, do you think the stack perform 50% of Formula S level sound? Enough juice for V2? Thx!

Jul 4, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #4,131 of 7,416
Hi, I read somewhere you own Formula S too right? I own Zen Dac, thinking about getting a Zen Can, do you think the stack perform 50% of Formula S level sound? Enough juice for V2? Thx!
I do have the Formula S/Powerman combo. As far as performance levels go, the Zen stack is a solid choice for powering the V2’s. You’ll need the Zen Can as the Zen DAC won’t be able to power the Diana V2’s on its own. I’m using +12dB of gain and the volume wheel is in between 1 - 2 o’clock. What’s cool is there is still one more gain level I could use, +18dB, but I don’t think it’s needed. The Diana V2’s are plenty loud, plenty dynamic, with plentiful bass and space. The Zen stack maintains the Diana V2's resolving ability for the most part. If you want more bass there's the xBass option and it brings the goods. The 3D option as works but it's very subtle.

Saying all of that there is another level of performance you get when moving up to the Formula S/Powerman combo. Those benefits have been outlined before in previous posts so I won't go into detail about it. Thinking about your initial question asking if the Zen stack is 50% of the Formula S sound I would say that it is a fair number. Listening back and forth the Formula S is more neutral, sounds more powerful, notes have greater weight, more holographic and will sound a lot like the DAC that is connected to it. The Zen stack retains the iFi house sound of being warmish, with nice details, good clarity, and good musicality. They have two different presentations but both get the job done.

Jul 4, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #4,132 of 7,416
Formula S "change" Diana so much, even compared to other high end amps such as Milo Kozmo upgrade, GSX MkII or Cavali Liquid Fire. Those are excellent amps, but Formula S is the true winner to drive Diana (both Phi and v2).

For more budget amp, A90 is my personal favourite for Diana.

Do you guys actually hear any V2 distortion that ASR shows?
Nope. I can't imagine how high distortion with Empyrean or LCD-3 if that graph is true as Diana V2 simply sound clearer.

Jul 4, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #4,134 of 7,416
I do have the Formula S/Powerman combo. As far as performance levels go, the Zen stack is a solid choice for powering the V2’s. You’ll need the Zen Can as the Zen DAC won’t be able to power the Diana V2’s on its own. I’m using +12dB of gain and the volume wheel is in between 1 - 2 o’clock. What’s cool is there is still one more gain level I could use, +18dB, but I don’t think it’s needed. The Diana V2’s are plenty loud, plenty dynamic, with plentiful bass and space. The Zen stack maintains the Diana V2's resolving ability for the most part. If you want more bass there's the xBass option and it brings the goods. The 3D option as works but it's very subtle.

Saying all of that there is another level of performance you get when moving up to the Formula S/Powerman combo. Those benefits have been outlined before in previous posts so I won't go into detail about it. Thinking about your initial question asking if the Zen stack is 50% of the Formula S sound I would say that it is a fair number. Listening back and forth the Formula S is more neutral, sounds more powerful, notes have greater weight, more holographic and will sound a lot like the DAC that is connected to it. The Zen stack retains the iFi house sound of being warmish, with nice details, good clarity, and good musicality. They have two different presentations but both get the job done.
Thanks you for the reply, I'm new to audio gears and stuffs, but since I got Zen Dac, my music collection sounds more lush, a tad more open with greater headroom, warmer and sweater I would say, great for most of the genres, but not really great with metal etc. which require lots of punchy dynamic energy, but no complaints for this price.

The boss of XIAUDIO is the designer of the great Lotoo Paw Gold which I also own, so I guess their products must be good, it seems their entire product line designed for Abyss HPs, but nowhere to audition, and the size of it and other great amps like GSX mini seem overkill for me, I'd probably get a Zen Can. For casual listening, it's probably musical enough for me to enjoy my coming V2.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #4,135 of 7,416
Formula S "change" Diana so much, even compared to other high end amps such as Milo Kozmo upgrade, GSX MkII or Cavali Liquid Fire. Those are excellent amps, but Formula S is the true winner to drive Diana (both Phi and v2).

For more budget amp, A90 is my personal favourite for Diana.

Nope. I can't imagine how high distortion with Empyrean or LCD-3 if that graph is true as Diana V2 simply sound clearer.
I saw many reviews rave about A50s too, they say A50s has the same performance as the A90, do you happen to try A50s? it a lot cheaper, I'm eyeing on it too.

Jul 4, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #4,136 of 7,416
Thanks you for the reply, I'm new to audio gears and stuffs, but since I got Zen Dac, my music collection sounds more lush, a tad more open with greater headroom, warmer and sweater I would say, great for most of the genres, but not really great with metal etc. which require lots of punchy dynamic energy, but no complaints for this price.

The boss of XIAUDIO is the designer of the great Lotoo Paw Gold which I also own, so I guess their products must be good, it seems their entire product line designed for Abyss HPs, but nowhere to audition, and the size of it and other great amps like GSX mini seem overkill for me, I'd probably get a Zen Can. For casual listening, it's probably musical enough for me to enjoy my coming V2.
You’re in for a treat especially if you want the musicality of the Zen stack and still get majority of what makes the Diana V2’s such a great headphone. The Zen stack will give you that extra headroom you need to comfortably drive the Diana V2’s. I like the combo enough that I moved the Diana V2’s to my bedroom to pair with the Zen stack as my headphone of choice. The Utopia’s, HE-R10P’s are also excellent pairings with then Zen stack. I Guess what I’m trying to say is that are some great budget amp options out there if you don’t want to get one of the TOTL amps.

Jul 4, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #4,137 of 7,416
You own one? :)

My friend own it, but he think to sell the amp, therefore I have easy access to try this amp anytime I want. It always a lovely experience to hear Alex Cavalli products.

I saw many reviews rave about A50s too, they say A50s has the same performance as the A90, do you happen to try A50s? it a lot cheaper, I'm eyeing on it too.

Nah, haven't tried that, but I doubt they sound the same as A90 (why on earth Topping do that?)

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #4,139 of 7,416
Guys, I think the unimaginable just happened to me, and my V2 is broken. I started hearing a strange rattling noise in the right canal. I first noticed it when listening to Josh Turner's cover of Something by the Beatles on YouTube. It's quite bassy and on certain beats there is audible cracking. At first I thought it was part of the arrangement, but then I noticed it with other music. It's not always present, and manifest only when bass goes deeper. I thought this headphone is indestructible, and I can't consider the situation anything but tragedy. Has anyone encountered anything similar, can a driver be replaced? Please advice. Mayday! Mayday!

Jul 4, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #4,140 of 7,416
The V2’s are a lot fuller sounding than the Susvara’s. Add the Superconductor cable to the V2’s and the midrange thickens up. It completes the V2’s sound. They become balanced from top to bottom, love them.

The Susvara’s are more open, more natural sounding and faster. The V2’s resolve nicely but the Susvara’s more so. The Susvara once you get the amping right, it next level good. To my ears the V2’s are a better daily driver because they are the more musical and more forgiving headphone.

The Susvara’s because of their neutrality EQ better. The Diana V2’s don’t need EQ personally. They sound just about right.

So if you made the bass and treble output the same to your ears it would really come down to the sound stage as the biggest difference ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back