Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Jun 25, 2021 at 12:11 AM Post #4,096 of 7,416
I'm trying EQing in Neturon for PC, it has great EQ system. Will try that setting later, thank you for sharing. But I find this ASR guy a bit dubious, looking at his recommendation lists, and he doesn't recommend s**t. He talks down most of the popular stuff that people enjoy, which is a bit weird.

Not familiar with that application. Be sure you are using a negative pre-gain though. I personally do not look at any recommendations list by anyone. People can enjoy all sorts of stuff, but even popular things can measure poorly and it is a science oriented form first and foremost investing how audio devices measure. Everyone wants other to like what they like though haha.

Jun 25, 2021 at 12:28 AM Post #4,097 of 7,416
Not familiar with that application. Be sure you are using a negative pre-gain though. I personally do not look at any recommendations list by anyone. People can enjoy all sorts of stuff, but even popular things can measure poorly and it is a science oriented form first and foremost investing how audio devices measure. Everyone wants other to like what they like though haha.
It's a popular Android application, Neutron Music Player. Only it's a Windows version. Thank you for the advice!

Jun 25, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #4,098 of 7,416
I have read a number of people who have gone from the Diana to the AB-1266 TC, has anyone gone the other way I wonder?

Jun 25, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #4,099 of 7,416
I'm trying EQing in Neturon for PC, it has great EQ system. Will try that setting later, thank you for sharing. But I find this ASR guy a bit dubious, looking at his recommendation lists, and he doesn't recommend s**t. He talks down most of the popular stuff that people enjoy, which is a bit weird.
His measurements of the V2 were pretty well documented to be flawed. I'd take the effectiveness of his EQ profile with many a grain of salt.

I'm curious to see other EQ profiles though, definitely interested in benefiting from the experiments of others :dt880smile:

Jun 25, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #4,100 of 7,416
His measurements of the V2 were pretty well documented to be flawed. I'd take the effectiveness of his EQ profile with many a grain of salt.

I'm curious to see other EQ profiles though, definitely interested in benefiting from the experiments of others :dt880smile:

Which one, the first one or the 2nd one with more bass and distortion on the same rig ?

Have you tried any EQ yourself, what are your thoughts ?

Jun 26, 2021 at 4:49 AM Post #4,103 of 7,416
That’s why I don’t do EQ.

Jun 26, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #4,104 of 7,416
I actually created my own EQ based on one of the ASR's and kinda like it.

The only thing I can't understand is why all those "scientific measurements"? According to ASR there are only a few headphones he recommends (that also applies to amps), and even Diana V2 is not recommended. But what to do with the fact that it sounds great, which is confirmed by many people? As I see it, he rejects something based on something like "bad circuits" or whatever and disregards the actual performance? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #4,106 of 7,416
I actually created my own EQ based on one of the ASR's and kinda like it.

The only thing I can't understand is why all those "scientific measurements"? According to ASR there are only a few headphones he recommends (that also applies to amps), and even Diana V2 is not recommended. But what to do with the fact that it sounds great, which is confirmed by many people? As I see it, he rejects something based on something like "bad circuits" or whatever and disregards the actual performance? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Nice, what did you change can you show us ?

The actual performance is what he measured, that is the objective performance. Liking what you hear(subjective/opinion) despite how they measure(objective) doesn't change this fact. Some of the extremely disgruntled sensitive members here have a myopic animosity over grievances that have been answered ad nauseum over there. Imo these cans sound pretty "meh" especially for how expensive they are.

Jun 27, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #4,107 of 7,416
Nice, what did you change can you show us ?
I just smoothed it out a little bit.
The actual performance is what he measured, that is the objective performance. Liking what you hear(subjective/opinion) despite how they measure(objective) doesn't change this fact. Imo these cans sound pretty "meh" especially for how expensive they are.
That I don't understand, if everybody likes it, but it measures badly, does it mean these headphones are bad? Also, I don't think he measures with ears, he uses some head simulator. I can't relate to anything he said about V2 in his review. Diana is not dull, my V2 sound great and music feels almost palpable. I admit that I wasn't too impressed with V2 when I first got it, but when I bought another amp (Burson Conductor 3xr) my V2 became entirely different headphones, it was just another level. What apm does he use, I wonder? And how those distortions he reveales via his measurements feel in practice? So far, I find that ASR thing a bit weird. Next, he doesn't recommend Ananda, HD820 or V2, but at the same time HD650 pass with flying colors. But if you compare HD650 and V2, you can hear that V2 is another level. I can't see logic there so far. And on the other hand, Crinacle ranks Diana as B, and according to his description Diana V2 doesn't seem to be "not recommended".

Jun 27, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #4,108 of 7,416
I don't think he measures with ears, he uses some head simulator. I can't relate to anything he said about V2 in his review.
I couldn't relate either. He keeps saying that Dan Clark's Ether CX is his favourite headphone, but when I had a small headphone collection, to my ears it was clear that Diana V2 was superior to Arya / Clear, which were superior to CX, so not sure how he came up with CX being the best.

Jun 27, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #4,110 of 7,416
I just smoothed it out a little bit.

That I don't understand, if everybody likes it, but it measures badly, does it mean these headphones are bad? Also, I don't think he measures with ears, he uses some head simulator. I can't relate to anything he said about V2 in his review. Diana is not dull, my V2 sound great and music feels almost palpable. I admit that I wasn't too impressed with V2 when I first got it, but when I bought another amp (Burson Conductor 3xr) my V2 became entirely different headphones, it was just another level. What apm does he use, I wonder? And how those distortions he reveales via his measurements feel in practice? So far, I find that ASR thing a bit weird. Next, he doesn't recommend Ananda, HD820 or V2, but at the same time HD650 pass with flying colors. But if you compare HD650 and V2, you can hear that V2 is another level. I can't see logic there so far. And on the other hand, Crinacle ranks Diana as B, and according to his description Diana V2 doesn't seem to be "not recommended".

Again, his measurements are garbage. If you're going to follow them however, I suggest you pick up the $37 Sony headphones he concluded are amazing and save a bunch of money.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back