Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Jun 20, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #4,066 of 7,575
How do LCDs compare to the weight of the 1266? Is it true you can't really move/bob your head with them?
The weight per say (in grams) is pretty much the same. The difference I found (I owned LCD 2 and 3, not 4) was that the headband design (mind you, this was 2016, maybe they upgraded it) was not comforming to my head shape, I had to buy an aftermarket cusion/strap. I had to do this exact thing with Diana V2, so I suppose it is the shape of the top of my head that is the issue, not the weight. I don’t really have any issues with neck pain after wearing these heavy headphones, I know people who do. As far as how stable the AB-1266 are on my head it depends how I configure them. You can pull them apart to have a bit of bass hump (feels boomier) and then it kinda floats on your head, with which you aren’t really able to lean toward/backward, else they fall off. However, if you put them closer together, they close up significantly, so much so that I can eat my cereal no problem. It changes the lower end register a bit too, tightens the bass.

Jun 20, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #4,067 of 7,575
The weight per say (in grams) is pretty much the same. The difference I found (I owned LCD 2 and 3, not 4) was that the headband design (mind you, this was 2016, maybe they upgraded it) was not comforming to my head shape, I had to buy an aftermarket cusion/strap. I had to do this exact thing with Diana V2, so I suppose it is the shape of the top of my head that is the issue, not the weight. I don’t really have any issues with neck pain after wearing these heavy headphones, I know people who do. As far as how stable the AB-1266 are on my head it depends how I configure them. You can pull them apart to have a bit of bass hump (feels boomier) and then it kinda floats on your head, with which you aren’t really able to lean toward/backward, else they fall off. However, if you put them closer together, they close up significantly, so much so that I can eat my cereal no problem. It changes the lower end register a bit too, tightens the bass.
You eat cereal with those monsters on? lol

I really want to try them out at Can Jam. I think they might be my end game as well but Im also really intrigued by the Closed back (Phi I'm guessing?) they're working on.

Supposedly It addresses the bass department.

Jun 20, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #4,068 of 7,575
I really want to try them out at Can Jam. I think they might be my end game as well but Im also really intrigued by the Closed back (Phi I'm guessing?) they're working on.

Supposedly It addresses the bass department.
I really want the closed back as well, when more sound isolation is needed. I believe it will be based on Diana’s shell (not AB-1266), but unsure which exact driver will they use (V2 or Phi), or perhaps a new one?

You eat cereal with those monsters on? lol
Haha, yes, part of my morning ritual.

Jun 20, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #4,070 of 7,575
I really want the closed back as well, when more sound isolation is needed. I believe it will be based on Diana’s shell (not AB-1266), but unsure which exact driver will they use (V2 or Phi), or perhaps a new one?

Haha, yes, part of my morning ritual.
Yeah, that's definitely unique lol.

Id be surprised if its a new driver since I presumed it'd be a Phi but closed.
But what do I know but I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Just don't splash any milk on the mesh.

Jun 20, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #4,071 of 7,575
Jun 20, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #4,072 of 7,575
Its all good @mammal
Im not surprised a fellow audiophile has an odd quirk. :beerchug:

I generally only drink beer or tea around with my headphones on. I always find a way to get food everywhere.

PS Pigs are mammals too?

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2021 at 11:30 PM Post #4,073 of 7,575
Will the Diana Phi suit me oh wise ones?

I listen to an extensively wide range of music, just to narrow it down to nothing helpful.

I like a elevated bass without losing any mids or highs.

And importantly. Punch. Proper punch.

Jun 21, 2021 at 6:41 AM Post #4,074 of 7,575
Take a look at the freq. plots of the Diana Phi and you will see a remarkably linear bass response to below audibility, nothing elevated down there and the engineer in me says that's a damn good thing which in fact makes for more accurate implementation of eq. should you require it .... however even without, and if the recording contains well mastered bass with punch and your amp is suitably capable... the Diana Phi can and will slam you around the ears with astoundingly visceral ear pommelling, highly accurate bass without any interference of the lower mids, mids or highs whatsoever.

IMHO the Diana Phi has an exceptional reference class tuning, however I can imagine that wont be appreciated by all especially those who seek and enjoy an overtly ballsy tuning, but conversely its linearity and massive clean headroom makes it easy to eq. without resorting to extreme measures even though she can effortlessly take (and deliver) a sound pounding !

In that regard Diana Phi aptly reminds of a quote from Betty White.

Attachments

• Diana-Phi-1024x464.jpg
    Diana-Phi-1024x464.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Betty White.jpeg
    Betty White.jpeg
    27.8 KB · Views: 0
Jun 21, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #4,076 of 7,575
Frequency response on the Diana's is "questionable" IMHO. The position of the headphone and the pad rotation, impacts a lot the sound profile.

Jun 22, 2021 at 12:11 AM Post #4,077 of 7,575
Will the Diana Phi suit me oh wise ones?

I listen to an extensively wide range of music, just to narrow it down to nothing helpful.

I like a elevated bass without losing any mids or highs.

And importantly. Punch. Proper punch.
I have Phi's and love them. They are extremely clean and coherent. I think as Coolhand above mentioned that bass is just linear, nothing lifted at all. And as Crocodile mentioned, positioning matters a lot. You have to get them placed right for the full experience, and due to the design being relatively inflexible, they probably won't work for everyone. I think they are probably not what you are looking for, due to bass alone, but I wouldn't 'blind buy' for sure.

Jun 22, 2021 at 12:26 AM Post #4,078 of 7,575
I have Phi's and love them. They are extremely clean and coherent. I think as Coolhand above mentioned that bass is just linear, nothing lifted at all. And as Crocodile mentioned, positioning matters a lot. You have to get them placed right for the full experience, and due to the design being relatively inflexible, they probably won't work for everyone. I think they are probably not what you are looking for, due to bass alone, but I wouldn't 'blind buy' for sure.
A kind stranger has offered to send their set to me for a quick demo. So very keen to hear them. I don't like fiddly things, but maybe they'll jsut work for my head. Stranger things have happened.

Jun 22, 2021 at 2:18 AM Post #4,080 of 7,575
Any idea on the pad he shows in this video at 45 seconds?

The top hadband Pad? I think Abyss sell those. (maybe for 1K) lol

PS.: I have it on mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back