Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Jun 24, 2021 at 2:32 AM Post #4,087 of 7,418
Hi colleagues! Do you use EQ with your V2? I own my Diana V2 for a little more than a year and love it, and I have been enjoying it even more after I bought a Burson Conductor 3XR. What a great amp!
The thing is, I also listen to a lot of metal music, and most of it is pretty fatiguing with V2, especially death metal :sweat_smile: (in contrast to my Solaris OG). That was bothering me and I decided to try EQ. Intuitively, I lowered what I thought was upper midrange a little bit and loved the result! V2 seems to be sounding even better after that manipulation with all genres. But now I'm interested, that maybe there is some special EQ setting for Diana V2? What do you, colleagues, think about EQing V2? Thanks for your thoughts and advice!

Jun 24, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #4,089 of 7,418
I have just received Diana Phi's for a demo. I honestly don't think I have ever seen a better looking headphone, their form factor is exceptional in particular as in my case I have been with the AB-1266 for most of the last week. Initial thought are the sound is very good, but not quite AB-1266 levels of low end or micro-detail, but this is only based on 30 mins of listening. I really, really do like these though.

Attachments

• IMG-20210624-WA0000.jpeg
    IMG-20210624-WA0000.jpeg
    689 KB · Views: 0
Jun 24, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #4,090 of 7,418
Hi colleagues! Do you use EQ with your V2? I own my Diana V2 for a little more than a year and love it, and I have been enjoying it even more after I bought a Burson Conductor 3XR. What a great amp!
The thing is, I also listen to a lot of metal music, and most of it is pretty fatiguing with V2, especially death metal :sweat_smile: (in contrast to my Solaris OG). That was bothering me and I decided to try EQ. Intuitively, I lowered what I thought was upper midrange a little bit and loved the result! V2 seems to be sounding even better after that manipulation with all genres. But now I'm interested, that maybe there is some special EQ setting for Diana V2? What do you, colleagues, think about EQing V2? Thanks for your thoughts and advice!

Yes, I use harmon target for all of my headphones. What are you using to EQ ? I'm using equalizer APO with peace UI. I listen to all genres including the wide genres of metal. I have never felt fatigued with anything stock or EQ on the V2. At the very least its needs a bass boost like all open backs do. I'm using ASR eq profile, I wish someone in the EU would send theirs to oratory1990 so he can make a profile for them too, so we can compare. I think he is Austria ?
ABYSS Diana V2 Measurement headphone EQ Equalization.png

Jun 24, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #4,091 of 7,418
There is a EQ from Crinacle listed on the autoEQ GitHub. I’m no expert on EQ, but I like this EQ layered with a bass boost EQ when listening to stuff like death metal.

AutoEQ - Crinacle Diana V2 EQ

Nice, did not know about this one. I will have to check this one out as well !

Jun 24, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #4,092 of 7,418
Sure the Diana/Phi will make noise with almost anything !
However personal experience has borne out that none of the Chord gear, nor any of the iFi products of which I have tried (most every model) are of a calibre and/or synergistic tonality to fully reveal the true extent of gravitas and sonic corporality of which the ABYSS can elicit.
YMMV :)
Have you tried the ifi diablo with the V2?

Jun 24, 2021 at 8:22 PM Post #4,093 of 7,418
Yes, I use harmon target for all of my headphones. What are you using to EQ ? I'm using equalizer APO with peace UI. I listen to all genres including the wide genres of metal. I have never felt fatigued with anything stock or EQ on the V2. At the very least its needs a bass boost like all open backs do. I'm using ASR eq profile, I wish someone in the EU would send theirs to oratory1990 so he can make a profile for them too, so we can compare. I think he is Austria ?

I just gave this a try since Im new to Roon and EQ in general. Didn't like it.
It took away the fun sound of the V2 and made the mids a tad splashy and the voices sound less forward and bodied.

Interesting. This was on my Diablo set up rather than my desktop. Will give it a try on that as well when I'm home.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021 at 11:56 PM Post #4,094 of 7,418
There is a EQ from Crinacle listed on the autoEQ GitHub. I’m no expert on EQ, but I like this EQ layered with a bass boost EQ when listening to stuff like death metal.

AutoEQ - Crinacle Diana V2 EQ
Thanks for sharing! But I didn't like this setting, it emphasizes what I want subdued and is harsh to me :)

I'm trying EQing in Neturon for PC, it has great EQ system. Will try that setting later, thank you for sharing. But I find this ASR guy a bit dubious, looking at his recommendation lists, and he doesn't recommend s**t. He talks down most of the popular stuff that people enjoy, which is a bit weird.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2021 at 12:01 AM Post #4,095 of 7,418
I just gave this a try since Im new to Roon and EQ in general. Didn't like it.
It took away the fun sound of the V2 and made the mids a tad splashy and the voices sound less forward and bodied.

Interesting. This was on my Diablo set up rather than my desktop. Will give it a try on that as well when I'm home.

I remember toggling it on and off with no negative pregain so its volume matched and could not decide what I Iiked better. I would for sure keep a bass shelf though, even if you dont wanna mess with the mids or treble. In the end I just left it on because I dont mind a bit more treble. My test track for spiky treble never bothered me stock or with the EQ.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back