Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
May 3, 2020 at 11:18 PM Post #1,832 of 7,430
you did not say which one you kept?

phi or D2?

and what is the reason you chose the one you picked vs the other?

D2 more Bass than Phi?

I ended up keeping the Phi over the V2. I chose it because once I heard the detail retrieval it was hard to take a step backwards. The Phi combined with the superconductor cable warms up the sound a bit and makes it perfect and superior to the V2 in every way (IMO). That’s not to say I wouldn’t be happy with the V2 if it was the only headphone I auditioned. It’s still fantastic.

The V2 doesn’t have more bass - it’s just presented in a slightly different manner. Instrument separation is greater so the bass quantity is more contingent upon the track and recording quality. If you want something a bit more smooth and don’t want to mess with aftermarket cables I would go with the V2.

Last edited:
May 4, 2020 at 11:46 PM Post #1,833 of 7,430
Got my Diana V1 with V2 drivers today from another head-fier.
Changed to Phi pads. It's definitely more comfy than v1 pads.

Best headphone I've owned and heard so far. I was originally looking at the Utopia and Empyrean, but glad I took the plunge with the Diana.

May 5, 2020 at 2:34 AM Post #1,834 of 7,430
Was debating the V2 and the PHI for a while, finally took the plunge and got the V2. I couldn't justify the price difference at this point.
I only heard the PHI briefly a while ago, but it stuck with me.
Will get it tomorrow and I really can't wait to compare!
I hope I don't feel too bad for not getting the PHI lol

May 5, 2020 at 3:03 AM Post #1,835 of 7,430
Was debating the V2 and the PHI for a while, finally took the plunge and got the V2. I couldn't justify the price difference at this point.
I only heard the PHI briefly a while ago, but it stuck with me.
Will get it tomorrow and I really can't wait to compare!
I hope I don't feel too bad for not getting the PHI lol

for the extra 1k u supposedly get 1266 Drivers and I guess more detail?

May 5, 2020 at 3:16 AM Post #1,836 of 7,430
for the extra 1k u supposedly get 1266 Drivers and I guess more detail?
When I tried the Diana PHI I tried the 1266 TC. I didn't find them as striking as the Diana's.
I didn't get a good fit with them (I only read about them afterwards), but also didn't find them comfortable.
As I wear my headphones for many hours at a time, I don't want headphones that are not comfortable for me.
But, might try them again later and change my mind one day :)
Unless you mean that the PHI is 1266 drivers. In which case, they are not. The Diana's have a 63mm driver and the 1266, well, a 66mm driver.
They are supposed to share technologies and process.

May 5, 2020 at 3:49 AM Post #1,837 of 7,430
When I tried the Diana PHI I tried the 1266 TC. I didn't find them as striking as the Diana's.
I didn't get a good fit with them (I only read about them afterwards), but also didn't find them comfortable.
As I wear my headphones for many hours at a time, I don't want headphones that are not comfortable for me.
But, might try them again later and change my mind one day :)
Unless you mean that the PHI is 1266 drivers. In which case, they are not. The Diana's have a 63mm driver and the 1266, well, a 66mm driver.
They are supposed to share technologies and process.

what i read or at least recall was that the 1266 tc and phi shared the same driver. unless abyss meant they share the same driver type.

hence i thought back then, oh wow same driver and u save a few grand haha :p

May 5, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #1,838 of 7,430
I think Phi TC is the the different one? Because of 66m driver, while others (include any version of Diana and 1266 PHI CC) use 63mm?

Or perhaps Diana use same technology and material, but with difference in diameter.

Last edited:
May 5, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #1,840 of 7,430
All versions of the AB-1266 have 66mm drivers. The Diana Phi has the same driver as the AB-1266 Phi/CC minus 3mm, making it 63mms.. The AB-1266 Phi TC has the most advanced tech out of the Abyss drivers.

May 5, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #1,841 of 7,430
Some of the magic with the Abyss is the frame / fit. It gives a massive soundstage, really approaching the best soundstage of high end speakers. It get you away from the middle of the head stage.

May 5, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #1,842 of 7,430
Some of the magic with the Abyss is the frame / fit. It gives a massive soundstage, really approaching the best soundstage of high end speakers. It get you away from the middle of the head stage.
Yeah, that's why I'm pretty sure my fit with the 1266 TC wasn't right. I didn't know at the time.
When I do have a chance to try them again, I'll do it properly.
That said, I doubt the 1266 TC are headphones I'll want to own. Form factor is important and I think that one is too problematic for me.
I think the Diana will be comfortable for hours, but I'll know soon enough. Just a few more hours to wait :D

May 5, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #1,843 of 7,430
Could someone confirm this?
Diana uses the same 2.5mm connector as the ones on the HD700?
Looking to pick up a different cable to use 4.4mm on DAP and WA11.

May 5, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #1,845 of 7,430
Yes, tip signal sleeve ground, but you need one of those thin connectors otherwise it won't fit.
probably easier to go with corpse cable since they make one for the diana and use cardas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back