Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Apr 12, 2020 at 11:56 PM Post #1,801 of 7,572
Just to clear this up, I actually got the DMS earpad because it was reported by many users here that it gave added bass due to the shape and fitment of these modded earpads. I didnt have a problem with fitment before, I wanted a bit more bass. But after I received it and used it for a few weeks, and swapping back to the stock pads, I find there is more bass with the stock pads contrary to what people were saying.
I mentioned that a few pages back to give my insight to other Diana v2 users.
thanks for clarifying :relaxed:

Apr 13, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #1,802 of 7,572
Interesting perspective on the DMS pads actually having less bass than the stock V2 pads... this was the biggest reason I purchased them (and potentially comfort). I’ll have to experiment myself but I’m hopeful as reviewers I respect all seem to like what the DMS mod does to the Diana sound. I’m really looking forward to auditioning both the Phi and V2 this week :)

Apr 13, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #1,803 of 7,572
Interesting perspective on the DMS pads actually having less bass than the stock V2 pads... this was the biggest reason I purchased them (and potentially comfort). I’ll have to experiment myself but I’m hopeful as reviewers I respect all seem to like what the DMS mod does to the Diana sound. I’m really looking forward to auditioning both the Phi and V2 this week :)
Would like to hear your findings too. Reminder to listen maybe 1 week or more before switching the pads. When I first tried the DMS pad I concluded that yes there is more bass- however after two weeks of using them exclusively I got bored and swapped back to stock, and found that I heard more bass with the stock pad..

Apr 13, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #1,804 of 7,572
Would like to hear your findings too. Reminder to listen maybe 1 week or more before switching the pads. When I first tried the DMS pad I concluded that yes there is more bass- however after two weeks of using them exclusively I got bored and swapped back to stock, and found that I heard more bass with the stock pad..
I tend to listen for an hour or so and then switch the pads back and forth using test tracks I know well. That’s the quickest way I’ve found to A/B changes with things such as pads/cables/gear/tweaks/etc. I expect it’s going to be a difficult decision to decide between the Phi and V2 so I won’t be too hasty like I normally am :wink:

Apr 14, 2020 at 12:20 AM Post #1,805 of 7,572
@twoloszyn -I will be interested in your direct comparison of the two Diana's, as I have gone for the non Phi and will not have a chance to listen to a Phi. Based on what I have read, I think your task maybe easier than difficult, as they seem to have different sound signatures/characteristics. You may however like certain aspects of one and differing aspects of the other, which will create a potential dilemma. Probably a nice dilemma to have, unless you dislike both.

Apr 14, 2020 at 12:47 AM Post #1,806 of 7,572
@twoloszyn -I will be interested in your direct comparison of the two Diana's, as I have gone for the non Phi and will not have a chance to listen to a Phi. Based on what I have read, I think your task maybe easier than difficult, as they seem to have different sound signatures/characteristics. You may however like certain aspects of one and differing aspects of the other, which will create a potential dilemma. Probably a nice dilemma to have, unless you dislike both.
I completely agree that deciding which I like better should be straightforward. Normally, I go with a warmer sound signature so the V2 seems like the obvious way to go. However, I want something different so I may opt for higher resolution Phi. Should be interesting. I’ll post some impressions taking into account the DMS pads.

Apr 14, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #1,807 of 7,572
The thing about warmer sounding headphones is there is not much you can do to influence the way it sounds. It’s always going to have that warm tilt to it no matter what you feed it. Warmer sounding headphones will sound very musical and will cover up the flaws in music and mask the flaws in your system to a degree.

What I like about the Diana Phi’s is their revealing, transparent, and open sounding nature. They are not going to hide what you are hearing. They let you hear every detail, every nuance in the music. It’s a headphone that you can build a system around. It’s really good, but give your ears some time to adjust to the way the Diana Phi‘s present music and the way you’re hearing it.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #1,809 of 7,572
I believe warm/cold, bright/dark are extremely subjective (Same like comfort level of a headphone). However, people who not able to audition can relate to general impression (Which is still not 100% accurate tho).

For me I would describe Diana V2 as neutral with hint of warmness. Agree about the clarity, superb. Oh, and it is so comfy to use for the first 2-3 hours. Longer than that I feel a little hot spot on my head. Still thinking to try dekoni nugget, but perhaps after this corona problem getting better.

Apr 15, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #1,810 of 7,572
posting our subjective impressions of headphones and ancillary gear is what we do here for the most part. ascertaining whether we can relate to those impressions or not requires that we try the gear for ourselves.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #1,811 of 7,572
Currently able to borrowing LCD-3 home. I always think that LCD-3 is headphone with strongest character of Audeze house sound. Buttery smooth, full body, and highly musical.

Had LCD-X and MX4 before, sometimes made me questioning myself why never purchased LCD-3. Of course there is weight problem, but personally as long as I have more than 1 headphone it's still fine to have Audeze. Can swap with the more comfort one when my head/neck tired. This version is LCD-3 Fazor with old headband.

Comparing Diana V2 to LCD-3:

Gabrielle Aplin - My Mistake (Acoustic) - MP3
Surprisingly LCD-3 is cleaner than I remember, and Diana V2 has sweeter sounding that I thought i knew. Both headphone perform really well with this song (especially for vocal). Diana still sound clearer with blacker background though. Guitar texture slight better in Diana. Both produce good wood reverb, but I feel Audeze present it with a little bit too much body on lower mid / upper bass area, made guitar sound really thick (but not add extra body to female voice here). Guitar on Audeze feels like sound coming from good speaker, while Diana make guitar sound more lifelike, like we listen straight to it.

Bllie Ellish - I Love You (Live at The Greek Theathre) - MP3
Live recoding make me easier to pick up differences in term of soundstage. Diana has wider and more depth, while Audeze has more height. Diana has "fuller" soundstage, better to feel the ambience of the hall. Male voice feels more romance with LCD-3, while Diana is nowhere sounds dry, it is definitely less sweet than Audeze. Female voice somehow sound more similar in both headphones, delicate and really smooth. Diana has more intimate though, with better texture and centre focus. Bass extension is superb on both headphones, with Diana reveal slight more texture and has more (sub) bass effect.

Grace Vanderwaal - Sick Of Being Told - WAV 24Bit / 44Khz
One of my most favourite singer due to her unique vocal character. Audeze present warm and thick sound, with more relax transient. While Diana sounds more... pure. It reveals more of the character from the singer, also with more excitement. With Audeze I feel like Grace singing after got dinner before sleep, while Diana make Grace singing after breakfast and ready to do activities. Midbass definitely bigger in Audeze, but Diana able to reach deeper in sub bass area. Perhaps smaller quantity of mid bass in Diana also help to reveal more of sub bass frequency. With Audeze vocal and midbass has a bit similar in quantity, in Diana vocal is more dominant and less presence of midbass. Both treble run really smooth with Diana slight brighter presentation. If Diana take us to the first row, LCD-3 is more like third row.

Katie Melua - Dreams Of Fire - WAV 24Bit / 48Khz
Could be a song that finalise my decision tu acquire Diana V2. Perform really well with Diana, sound so natural, fluid, sweet, and smooth through all spectrum. What surpise me is, I feel LCD-3 actually is less smooth in mid - upper mid area compare to Diana. Both produce no sibilance and harshness, however there are certain frequencies that feel "jump" a little in Audeze. The smoothness about transition between frequencies in mid/upper mid area definitely smoother in Diana. Guitar and "humming" sound from choir sound more natural in Diana, as Audeze tend to add body too much (not make it bad, only less natural for me). Anyway, actually I can enjoy this song with both headphones easily.

Quiet Winter Night - Stille, Stille Komer V - WAV 24Bit / 96Khz
Audeze definitely sounds sweeter, stronger warm aura around instruments. Fuller body in Audeze. This song is great to shows the advantage of technicalities, which is in term of black background, precision, soundstage quality (imaging and pin point), and frequency extension (both treble and bass) dare I say Diana is above LCD-3. However, I can see the romantic feel from Audeze may win people's choice. One thing that a bit annoy me is this song reveal slight problem in center focus of Audeze. Unlike Diana which have solid form of vocal from singer, in Audeze vocal is a bit diffuse, thus, create weaker definition. I love vocal so much, so for me this is critical. Both headphones still sound enjoyable though, Audeze with melow and more relax presentation and Diana is more accurate. Both don't have problem (at all) from being shouty, sharp, or harsh sound.

Norah Jones - Waiting - DSD 64
A song that made me fall in love with Audeze twice. LCD-3 continue the legacy by present this song with really good result. Bold, full body, meaty vocal, and big imaging. Move to Diana, first thing that struck me is how "fresh" Diana is. Feels like drinking honey + plain water (Audeze), then jump to fresh cold water (Diana). Everything is clearer, more texture, and just natural. I can appreciate both style, though I realise people may like one type more than the other. Detail in bass area has better presence in Diana, vocal is less body (no, it's not thin, just less thick), song simply presented in natural and smooth way. What disappoint me a little is somehow Diana has smaller imaging here, and focus more on midrange presence. Again, this matter is about character of each headphone, not being better or worse. Diana has more "complete" instrument position, but Audeze has bigger imaging if that makes sense. Bass extension deeper in Diana, more boomy feel (in good manner) with Audeze. I always think that piano in this song is a bit peaky. Both headphones success to make piano still enjoyable and not hurting my ears, while Audeze has "extra safety" to tuned it down even more.

David Roth - Before I Die - FLAC 16Bit / 44.1Khz
Just like the lyric inside the song, Diana is "soft and kind". Music flowing really well, fluid and effortless, natural. Audeze add a little more seasoning by using Audeze house sound to make David voice has more "oomph". While it's great for vocal, but not so much for acoustic guitar here. The low notes and high notes from guitar sound less harmony than in Diana. The diffuse in midrange of Audeze also present here. Make overall Audeze sound less fluid and efforless, with meatier low midrange to midbass presentation.

That's all about my casual comparison. Oh, and about comfort, I will choose Diana anytime anyday. Audeze owner "must" upgrade to new design headband, that increase comfort level by margin.

WIll post photo both of them tomorrow, too lazy to photograph anything now (11.45 pm here).

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #1,812 of 7,572
Currently able to borrowing LCD-3 home. I always think that LCD-3 is headphone with strongest character of Audeze house sound. Buttery smooth, full body, and highly musical.

Had LCD-X and MX4 before, sometimes made me questioning myself why never purchased LCD-3. Of course there is weight problem, but personally as long as I have more than 1 headphone it's still fine to have Audeze. Can swap with the more comfort one when my head/neck tired. This version is LCD-3 Fazor with old headband.

Comparing Diana V2 to LCD-3:

Gabrielle Aplin - My Mistake (Acoustic) - MP3
Surprisingly LCD-3 is cleaner than I remember, and Diana V2 has sweeter sounding that I thought i knew. Both headphone perform really well with this song (especially for vocal). Diana still sound clearer with blacker background though. Guitar texture slight better in Diana. Both produce good wood reverb, but I feel Audeze present it with a little bit too much body on lower mid / upper bass area, made guitar sound really thick (but not add extra body to female voice here). Guitar on Audeze feels like sound coming from good speaker, while Diana make guitar sound more lifelike, like we listen straight to it.

Bllie Ellish - I Love You (Live at The Greek Theathre) - MP3
Live recoding make me easier to pick up differences in term of soundstage. Diana has wider and more depth, while Audeze has more height. Diana has "fuller" soundstage, better to feel the ambience of the hall. Male voice feels more romance with LCD-3, while Diana is nowhere sounds dry, it is definitely less sweet than Audeze. Female voice somehow sound more similar in both headphones, delicate and really smooth. Diana has more intimate though, with better texture and centre focus. Bass extension is superb on both headphones, with Diana reveal slight more texture and has more (sub) bass effect.

Grace Vanderwaal - Sick Of Being Told - WAV 24Bit / 44Khz
One of my most favourite singer due to her unique vocal character. Audeze present warm and thick sound, with more relax transient. While Diana sounds more... pure. It reveals more of the character from the singer, also with more excitement. With Audeze I feel like Grace singing after got dinner before sleep, while Diana make Grace singing after breakfast and ready to do activities. Midbass definitely bigger in Audeze, but Diana able to reach deeper in sub bass area. Perhaps smaller quantity of mid bass in Diana also help to reveal more of sub bass frequency. With Audeze vocal and midbass has a bit similar in quantity, in Diana vocal is more dominant and less presence of midbass. Both treble run really smooth with Diana slight brighter presentation. If Diana take us to the first row, LCD-3 is more like third row.

Katie Melua - Dreams Of Fire - WAV 24Bit / 48Khz
Could be a song that finalise my decision tu acquire Diana V2. Perform really well with Diana, sound so natural, fluid, sweet, and smooth through all spectrum. What surpise me is, I feel LCD-3 actually is less smooth in mid - upper mid area compare to Diana. Both produce no sibilance and harshness, however there are certain frequencies that feel "jump" a little in Audeze. The smoothness about transition between frequencies in mod/upper mid area definitely smoother in Diana. Guitar and "humming" sound from choir sound more natural in Diana, as Audeze tend to add body too much (not make it bad, only less natural for me). Anyway, actually I can enjoy this song with both headphones easily.

Quiet Winter Night - Stille, Stille Komer V - WAV 24Bit / 96Khz
Audeze definitely sounds sweeter, stronger warm aura around instruments. Fuller body in Audeze. This song is great to shows the advantage of technicalities, which is in term of black background, precision, soundstage quality (imaging and pin point), and frequency extension (both treble and bass) dare I say Diana is above LCD-3. However, I can see the romantic feel from Audeze may win people's choice. One thing that a bit annoy me is this song reveal slight problem in center focus of Audeze. Unlike Diana which have solid form of vocal from singer, in Audeze vocal is a bit diffuse, thus, create weaker definition. I love vocal so much, so for me this is critical. Both headphones still sound enjoyable though, Audeze with melow and more relax presentation and Diana is more accurate. Both don't have problem (at all) from being shouty, sharp, or harsh sound.

Norah Jones - Waiting - DSD 64
A song that made me fall in love with Audeze twice. LCD-3 continue the legacy by present this song with really good result. Bold, full body, meaty vocal, and big imaging. Move to Diana, first thing that struck me is how "fresh" Diana is. Feels like drinking honey + plain water (Audeze), then jump to fresh cold water (Diana). Everything is clearer, more texture, and just natural. I can appreciate both style, though I realise people may like one type more than the other. Detail in bass area has better presence in Diana, vocal is less body (no, it's not thin, just less thick), song simply presented in natural and smooth way. What disappoint me a little is somehow Diana has smaller imaging here, and focus more on midrange presence. Again, this matter is about character of each headphone, not being better or worse. Diana has more "complete" instrument position, but Audeze has bigger imaging if that makes sense. Bass extension deeper in Diana, more boomy feel (in good manner) with Audeze. I always think that piano in this song is a bit peaky. Both headphones success to make piano still enjoyable and not hurting my ears, while Audeze has "extra safety" to tuned it down even more.

David Roth - Before I Die - FLAC 16Bit / 44.1Khz
Just like the lyric inside the song, Diana is "soft and kind". Music flowing really well, fluid and effortless, natural. Audeze add a little more seasoning by using Audeze house sound to make David voice has more "oomph". While it's great for vocal, but not so much for acoustic guitar here. The low notes and high notes from guitar sound less harmony than in Diana. The diffuse in midrange of Audeze also present here. Make overall Audeze sound less fluid and efforless, with meatier low midrange to midbass presentation.

That's all about my casual comparison. Oh, and about comfort, I will choose Diana anytime anyday. Audeze owner "must" upgrade to new design headband, that increase comfort level by margin.

WIll post photo both of them tomorrow, too lazy to photograph anything now (11.45 pm here).

haha look forward to pix

here in sg avone is quoting 4.5k for v2 and empyrean

Apr 16, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #1,815 of 7,572
haha look forward to pix

here in sg avone is quoting 4.5k for v2 and empyrean

Hopefully can wake up a bit earlier tomorrow to take a snap.

I think that a fair price, consider 7% tax from government. Actually I was in torn between Diana V2 and Empyrean before :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back