Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Apr 17, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #1,818 of 7,571
A photo as promised

2020_0417_22564900.jpg

Actually if I positioned them symmetrically, LCD-3 looks so huge.

Apr 18, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #1,820 of 7,571
Abyss Diana v2.jpg

Diana for the win!

I just received my Diana v2 this morning along with Superconductor cable. I can't believe how fast it actually arrived given the current economic landscape, but I'm extremely grateful that it did. I respect and appreciate a lot of headphones in the market today, but the v2 just ticks all the boxes for me. Diana fits me like a glove with zero clicks on the headband, minimal clamp force, and even weight distribution. The minimalist design is sleeker than any other headphone I've had the pleasure of owning. It's very unobtrusive and unassuming. Diana has the transparency, speed, and palpable bass response in carefully crafted doses that I crave for my preferred music genres. There is just something so inviting about this sound signature. It's neutral enough to play every genre with aplomb, but with a tangible warmth that makes the presentation so intimate. I dig it!

I'm a strong advocate for auditioning headphones before you buy, but I'm aware that it is not always possible. I was fortunate enough to have borrowed a pair from The Cable Company two months ago using their Lending Library before the novel coronavirus outbreak. I feel it's important to try out as much gear as possible in your own system and not dismiss the opportunities that come along because you could miss out on something special. The v2 was definitely special and the synergy in my system has been on my mind these past two months. I tried out many other headphones in the interim, but Diana's memory wasn't going to fade that easily. It was time to finally bring her home!

For what it's worth, the Superconductor cable does sound better across the frequency range versus the stock. I like the ergonomics of both cables and could easily live with the stock, but the presentation is a little more easeful and defined on the SC. Happy listening.

Apr 18, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #1,821 of 7,571
sounds great, I havent heard the v2 but the diana Phi is marvelous

Apr 18, 2020 at 10:54 PM Post #1,822 of 7,571
Abyss Diana v2.jpg

Diana for the win!

I just received my Diana v2 this morning along with Superconductor cable. I can't believe how fast it actually arrived given the current economic landscape, but I'm extremely grateful that it did. I respect and appreciate a lot of headphones in the market today, but the v2 just ticks all the boxes for me. Diana fits me like a glove with zero clicks on the headband, minimal clamp force, and even weight distribution. The minimalist design is sleeker than any other headphone I've had the pleasure of owning. It's very unobtrusive and unassuming. Diana has the transparency, speed, and palpable bass response in carefully crafted doses that I crave for my preferred music genres. There is just something so inviting about this sound signature. It's neutral enough to play every genre with aplomb, but with a tangible warmth that makes the presentation so intimate. I dig it!

I'm a strong advocate for auditioning headphones before you buy, but I'm aware that it is not always possible. I was fortunate enough to have borrowed a pair from The Cable Company two months ago using their Lending Library before the novel coronavirus outbreak. I feel it's important to try out as much gear as possible in your own system and not dismiss the opportunities that come along because you could miss out on something special. The v2 was definitely special and the synergy in my system has been on my mind these past two months. I tried out many other headphones in the interim, but Diana's memory wasn't going to fade that easily. It was time to finally bring her home!

For what it's worth, the Superconductor cable does sound better across the frequency range versus the stock. I like the ergonomics of both cables and could easily live with the stock, but the presentation is a little more easeful and defined on the SC. Happy listening.
Congrats man. Beautiful headphones.

Apr 20, 2020 at 5:32 AM Post #1,823 of 7,571
Diana V1 with the smaller squarer pads are in the house. First impressions. Build quality is outstanding, they feel far more substantial than the 330 grams weight. Beauty is subjective, however the retro look Diana is a thing to admire particularly in the hand (and on the head). The cable is also outstanding (as one would expect from JPS), by far the best original equipment supplied I have had, and to be honest better than any after market cable I have purchased. 1.5 metres (5 foot) is ideal for portable use but I would prefer a 2 metre for desk top application (or sitting in a chair chilling) to home system. Fit. The Diana V1 fit me perfectly, very comfortable, no pressure at temples or head hot spots. I was expecting to invest $200 US (nearly $400 AUD including postage) to obtain V2 pads (with or without DMS mod), but that shouldn't be necessary.

Sound: Natural, live (real life setting), palpable (good bass hit and fast decay) absolutely superb vocals, particularly male. They are slightly tuned north of neutral, I think, without any real emphasis, certainly not dominating. I will need more time to confirm that first impression. The high frequencies are not sibilant in any way, however do not sound rolled off and have excellent representation of how I expect high frequency instruments should sound. Sound stage is again real, not massive (HD 800) but sounds just right, imaging and and positional accuracy seems pretty much spot on.

To sum up, I find the Diana sound very "real," what I expect to hear if i were in a pub or a market day and a local band were banging away. No headphone is perfect............

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #1,824 of 7,571
Just want to share music from Elise Trouw (still can't believe I just knew about her lately!). Her songs feel so highly enjoyable right from Diana V2.

Videos were live recorded (live looping), make it easier to pick tiny details and checking timbre (too bad mp3 quality though, but still so fun to listen).

For you who don't know her, she is a (multi) talented songwriter, singer, and multi-intrumentalist.

:)

Apr 26, 2020 at 12:22 AM Post #1,825 of 7,571
I’m not the best reviewer and I tend to be long-winded so be forewarned...

I received the Diana Phi last week and the V2 a few days later to demo. Hats off to the Abyss team and Audio46 for answering all my questions and helping me out. Coming from the mentality that bass is king but appreciating high(er) fidelity, my daily driver has been the Campfire Cascade for over a year. I attenuate them slightly with the films that come with the headphones but the best way to describe their sound signature is V-shaped with phat bass. Other headphones in my possession are the Koss Portapro/KPH30i. What I’m trying to say is I knew I was in for a treat, jumping many steps ahead in the headphone upgrade chain.

Unboxing the Diana(s) I could tell instantly that build quality was something Abyss took seriously. I personally love the vintage meets modern look. When I removed the pads and looked at the driver and saw my hand on the other side I was intrigued and a bit amazed at how something so small and almost invisible produced sound.

I started with the Diana V2 using the stock Diana V2 pads. I was transported ten years plus back in time when I used to own Grado’s. This open sound signature was much, much better though. Although the massive bass of the Cascade’s wasn’t there this was the first time I had experienced planar headphones. Bigger soundstage, precise imaging, and amazing detail retrieval. This concept of “air” was something I was hearing for the first time. Vocals actually sounded lifelike and weren’t hidden like in most of my headphones. I never felt any specific frequency was represented more than others. Both pairs are fairly neutral with the V2s being warm-neutral.

I listened to The Weeknd’s Blinding Lights and audibly said “wow,” to myself. I continued to say “wow” track after track until I called my girlfriend over. She proceeded to also say “wow” as I watched her listen to her beloved songs as if it was her first time hearing music. We were both moved to say the least.

Coming from my current roster of headphones, I didn’t really feel the V2’s sound signature was warm...until I listened to the Phi’s. I heard an even greater amount detail I had never heard in tracks I heard so many times before. They definitely have that over the V2s in addition to a clearer sense of recording quality and “space,” if that makes sense. What I perceived as a less impactful sound wasn’t really the case...it’s just they only produce what’s in the recording to the utmost clarity and precision. If mid-bass or sub-bass isn’t in the track, you aren’t going to hear it. In a way, I loved that but I gravitated towards the V2 being more used to that sound signature.

Quick note: I swapped the stock pads out for the DMS-modded version of the Diana V2 pads somewhere along the way. They immediately increased the bass impact and created a more intimate soundstage. Once I heard the Diana’s like this I never went back to the stock pads. They are far superior in my opinion. What you may lose in air/spaciousness doesn’t outweigh the positives.

I kept listening to the V2/Phi using my testing playlist in Tidal/Quobuz over and over. I got used to their sound signature. At one point I swapped from the V2s to the Phi and saw no difference other than a deeper sense of clarity, especially in the highs. Regardless of recording quality or genre, I enjoyed it. It was at that moment I had chosen the model to keep. I ordered the Diana superconductor cable to make sure on the model before I sent it back.

The cable arrived today and all I can say is it makes the Diana (both models) an even greater joy to listen to. It takes the edge off the occasional sharp highs (depending on the song) and relaxes the sound signature a bit. Bass is slightly elevated and the decay is ever-so-slightly lengthened. In a way, it “V2s” the Phi without causing a loss in detail. Kind of ironic, I know.

I really enjoyed trying out 2/3 of Abyss’ current lineup and can’t wait to see what they do next. One day I may take the plunge and get the 1266 but for now I’m happy with my purchase. These work well with every genre you can throw at them but require a lot of power. Thankfully, that’s not in short supply in this day and age for a reasonable price. Here is the gear I tested them on in case you’re interested:

PS Audio Stellar Power Plant > Auralic Aries G1 streamer > SOtM tX-USB Ultra reclocker & SOtM sCLK-OCX10 Master clock powered by a UpTone Audio JS-2 linear power supply > Matrix Audio X-SABRE MQA DAC > Benchmark HPA-4 Amp. Cables include Audioquest, Moon Audio, Curious, and JPS Labs.

Thanks!

Apr 26, 2020 at 12:32 AM Post #1,826 of 7,571
I listened to The Weeknd’s Blinding Lights and audibly said “wow,” to myself. I continued to say “wow” track after track until I called my girlfriend over. She proceeded to also say “wow” as I watched her listen to her beloved songs as if it was her first time hearing music. We were both moved to say the least.

This hits home for me. :)

Diana may be the only headphone I haven't yet tried. I should really make it happen...

Apr 30, 2020 at 2:01 AM Post #1,828 of 7,571
@Joe Skubinski

I notice the DMS mod is no longer a pad option on the Abyss site. Is this because the mod is too labour intensive to continue with or that there is another reasoning, sound based or some other factor? I have a Diana V1 with the smaller (no slope) pads. The fit is excellent for my head (and the sound for that matter-Love the Diana Joe) however I am tempted to explore the V2 pads to see if they provide a sound change (maybe extended stage), however the cost isn't inconsequential, and I would not like the fit/comfort to alter nor bass impact/delivery. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
May 3, 2020 at 6:27 AM Post #1,830 of 7,571
I’m not the best reviewer and I tend to be long-winded so be forewarned...

I received the Diana Phi last week and the V2 a few days later to demo. Hats off to the Abyss team and Audio46 for answering all my questions and helping me out. Coming from the mentality that bass is king but appreciating high(er) fidelity, my daily driver has been the Campfire Cascade for over a year. I attenuate them slightly with the films that come with the headphones but the best way to describe their sound signature is V-shaped with phat bass. Other headphones in my possession are the Koss Portapro/KPH30i. What I’m trying to say is I knew I was in for a treat, jumping many steps ahead in the headphone upgrade chain.

Unboxing the Diana(s) I could tell instantly that build quality was something Abyss took seriously. I personally love the vintage meets modern look. When I removed the pads and looked at the driver and saw my hand on the other side I was intrigued and a bit amazed at how something so small and almost invisible produced sound.

I started with the Diana V2 using the stock Diana V2 pads. I was transported ten years plus back in time when I used to own Grado’s. This open sound signature was much, much better though. Although the massive bass of the Cascade’s wasn’t there this was the first time I had experienced planar headphones. Bigger soundstage, precise imaging, and amazing detail retrieval. This concept of “air” was something I was hearing for the first time. Vocals actually sounded lifelike and weren’t hidden like in most of my headphones. I never felt any specific frequency was represented more than others. Both pairs are fairly neutral with the V2s being warm-neutral.

Coming from my current roster of headphones, I didn’t really feel the V2’s sound signature was warm...until I listened to the Phi’s. I heard an even greater amount detail I had never heard in tracks I heard so many times before. They definitely have that over the V2s in addition to a clearer sense of recording quality and “space,” if that makes sense. What I perceived as a less impactful sound wasn’t really the case...it’s just they only produce what’s in the recording to the utmost clarity and precision. If mid-bass or sub-bass isn’t in the track, you aren’t going to hear it. In a way, I loved that but I gravitated towards the V2 being more used to that sound signature.

Quick note: I swapped the stock pads out for the DMS-modded version of the Diana V2 pads somewhere along the way. They immediately increased the bass impact and created a more intimate soundstage. Once I heard the Diana’s like this I never went back to the stock pads. They are far superior in my opinion. What you may lose in air/spaciousness doesn’t outweigh the positives.

I kept listening to the V2/Phi using my testing playlist in Tidal/Quobuz over and over. I got used to their sound signature. At one point I swapped from the V2s to the Phi and saw no difference other than a deeper sense of clarity, especially in the highs. Regardless of recording quality or genre, I enjoyed it. It was at that moment I had chosen the model to keep. I ordered the Diana superconductor cable to make sure on the model before I sent it back.

The cable arrived today and all I can say is it makes the Diana (both models) an even greater joy to listen to. It takes the edge off the occasional sharp highs (depending on the song) and relaxes the sound signature a bit. Bass is slightly elevated and the decay is ever-so-slightly lengthened. In a way, it “V2s” the Phi without causing a loss in detail. Kind of ironic, I know.

I really enjoyed trying out 2/3 of Abyss’ current lineup and can’t wait to see what they do next. One day I may take the plunge and get the 1266 but for now I’m happy with my purchase. These work well with every genre you can throw at them but require a lot of power. Thankfully, that’s not in short supply in this day and age for a reasonable price. Here is the gear I tested them on in case you’re interested:

PS Audio Stellar Power Plant > Auralic Aries G1 streamer > SOtM tX-USB Ultra reclocker & SOtM sCLK-OCX10 Master clock powered by a UpTone Audio JS-2 linear power supply > Matrix Audio X-SABRE MQA DAC > Benchmark HPA-4 Amp. Cables include Audioquest, Moon Audio, Curious, and JPS Labs.

Thanks!

you did not say which one you kept?

phi or D2?

and what is the reason you chose the one you picked vs the other?

D2 more Bass than Phi?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back