Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
May 6, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #1,850 of 7,572
I wish I didn’t spend so much money on headphones :astonished:
You’re not by yourself my friend, 🤦‍♂️ With that said, I do love my Diana Phi’s.

Last edited:
May 6, 2020 at 10:37 PM Post #1,851 of 7,572
Got mine last night. Been listening a lot since. Put them through the ringers.
Some very early impressions, the Clear are going.
Only kept them for how good they make pianos sound, but it's now clear to me that the V2 is better.
It does everything the Clear does with piano (which is a beautifully conveyed "right hand" parts - middle C and higher) but also manages to keep the lower registered perfect. It sounds so realistic that the Clear just aren't necessary anymore. Tomorrow I'll start comparing to the HD800. See what happens.

They are "power hungry" though. I have to go to unheard of levels on my Hugo 2. But I think it handles it well. Still get very good dynamics.

May 6, 2020 at 11:14 PM Post #1,852 of 7,572
Got mine last night. Been listening a lot since. Put them through the ringers.
Some very early impressions, the Clear are going.
Only kept them for how good they make pianos sound, but it's now clear to me that the V2 is better.
It does everything the Clear does with piano (which is a beautifully conveyed "right hand" parts - middle C and higher) but also manages to keep the lower registered perfect. It sounds so realistic that the Clear just aren't necessary anymore. Tomorrow I'll start comparing to the HD800. See what happens.

They are "power hungry" though. I have to go to unheard of levels on my Hugo 2. But I think it handles it well. Still get very good dynamics.
Exactly how I felt after getting the Diana. The Clear haven’t been touched since.

May 6, 2020 at 11:34 PM Post #1,854 of 7,572
Yeah, they'll probably be posted tomorrow. I need to take a group shot first which requires tidying my desk a bit.
Here’s the group shot of mine. Will wait til HE6SE arrive to decide the fate of the Clear.

Jbem9Pd.jpg

May 6, 2020 at 11:42 PM Post #1,855 of 7,572
Here’s the group shot of mine. Will wait til HE6SE arrive to decide the fate of the Clear.

Jbem9Pd.jpg

My clears are the only other headphone I have kept with my AB-1266 Phi TC. They are great for use around the house with my sp1000.

May 7, 2020 at 1:16 AM Post #1,858 of 7,572
Agreed about no longer needing the Clears. I tested a pair at the local shop and the Diana does everything it does but better...except maybe comfort :wink: I’m thinking of mailing in my Phi’s for the DMS headband mod (similar to what he had at Canjam this year). I just don’t want to be without them for that long!
i was about to ask you what the dms headband mod is but then i came across this:

Abyss Diana Phi (DMS Mod)
When I reviewed the Diana Phi last year, I found it excelled at some aspects such as speed and detail - especially for its form factor - but I couldn't quite get over the comfort issues. I'm happy to report that the Diana Phi's current revision has improved the comfort by using much softer pads, making it easier to wear for longer periods of time. Importantly, the new pads can be fitted to existing units as well, so if you have a Diana Phi and want the new pads, they are compatible. But perhaps more interesting was the DMS modded version. For those unaware, DMS is a popular headphone reviewer on YouTube who now works with Abyss. He was walking around the show with his own custom (white and black) version of the Diana Phi, which has an improved pad angle that takes pressure off the temples, and a more cushioned headband.

Canjam4.jpg

I found the DMS mod to sound even better as well, with a better sense of stage depth, and detail retrieval. Apparently he made a few tweaks to the cover in front of the driver to achieve this. The tonality was also improved, and while it had a bit much bass for my preference, the rest of the frequency response had excellent tonal balance without any noticeable issues. I was told by the folks over at the booth that they might consider doing something with this mod in the future, but as of this moment, the custom pad mod is already an option. So for anyone already considering a Diana Phi, I strongly recommend getting it with the DMS pad mod.

May 7, 2020 at 1:57 AM Post #1,859 of 7,572
What about the dekoni nuggets? They look comfortable.
But if there is strong clamping force and not supercomfortable for all the users I ll stay with the utopia that are still pretty new..
Need the covid to give up to try how they wear by myself!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back