Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Oct 11, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #1,411 of 7,405
After owning the Diana v2 for a couple of days I've found that the comfort has improved to the point where I barely feel pressure on the sides. Reasoning for this is the positioning. I found that it's good to have the headband make contact to the top of my head because then the magnets do their job in forming around my head.

Oct 20, 2019 at 12:01 AM Post #1,412 of 7,405
I AB'd the Diana vs D-PHI. Big improvement with the PHI, wasn't even close. The old Diana pads, for me, were terrible... really uncomfortable. I assume the V2s are better they use similar pads as the D-PHI. The magic is still in the sound the PHI drivers deliver. I dare say the extra cost is worth it. If you don't have the PHI, you will always question what you're missing (and it's not subtle). I feel that way about upgrading my beloved 1266 OGs, just don't have the cheddar. No question the 1266s are better sounding... more bass, insane sound stage, just cumbersome to wear. Not uncomfortable, just awkward unless sitting bolt upright at my desk. When I compare my D-PHI vs 1266 OG, it's really no contest sonically, 1266 all the way even with the old drivers. But Diana vs Diana, PHI matters. The better your amp, the more obvious this is.

-Steve
Between Diana v2 and Diana phi, which one has louder bass? Which one is brighter or darker between the two?
I have a Diana v2 loaner and I’m thinking of buying it or the phi.

Oct 20, 2019 at 8:06 AM Post #1,413 of 7,405
Oct 20, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #1,414 of 7,405
Between Diana v2 and Diana phi, which one has louder bass? Which one is brighter or darker between the two?
I have a Diana v2 loaner and I’m thinking of buying it or the phi.

I finally got to hear the Diana Phi (powered by a WA33) and got to go back and forth with an Abyss Phi TC and all I have to say is that I was in audio heaven! While the TC were clearly bigger sounding, the Diana Phi were simply glorious! After about 15 minutes going back and forth, I then switched over to a killer Stax setup (SR009 and SR009S powered by a Woo 3ES and in the end I'd clearly take the TC. I was surprised just how much more "stat-like" in terms of detail and quickness Joe was able to bring the Abyss AB1266 to. Throw in world class bass and clearly superior imaging, I was a bit surprised at just how much more I preferred the Phi TC.

Back to the Diana Phi, all I can say is WOW! Thanks to Woo Audio for bringing a great offering to the Toronto Audiofest this weekend!

Oct 20, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #1,415 of 7,405
So the REAL tough question is what would you rather have, 1266 TC/PHI vs. Diana PHI

It's a really difficult call for me. I'm lucky I have both to play around with, eventually want to get the TC

Thing with the Diana PHI, it's so compact, light, normal form factor.... so easy to use.
1266 is more spacious and has better bass extension, otherwise very similar.

1266 gets a little Wonky when tipping my recliner way back, not great for listening in bed.
Diana.... no prob.

So what do you guys think? ? ?

Oct 20, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #1,416 of 7,405
So the REAL tough question is what would you rather have, 1266 TC/PHI vs. Diana PHI

It's a really difficult call for me. I'm lucky I have both to play around with, eventually want to get the TC

Thing with the Diana PHI, it's so compact, light, normal form factor.... so easy to use.
1266 is more spacious and has better bass extension, otherwise very similar.

1266 gets a little Wonky when tipping my recliner way back, not great for listening in bed.
Diana.... no prob.

So what do you guys think? ? ?

If you want the best sounding headphones...the Phi TC easy. But if you're looking for a more allrounder that you can take with you on the road, then you can't go wrong with the Diana Phi.

Oct 21, 2019 at 7:49 AM Post #1,417 of 7,405
having the 1266phi since 1 1/2 year and the diana phi since the beginning of the year i have to confess that i use the diana phi a lot more. when i would add all technicals points the 1266phi is the technical better performer, not in all classes but in most. i like the diana phi for the easy handling and the more intimate presentation, the diana phi is for me a tad more balanced over the whole fq chart. i often compare the big abyss to floor standing loudspeakers whereas the diana phi has a loudspeaker size that fits most rooms.

to be fair i know that i tend to like a refined a bit relaxed sound signature, so most headtime has the diana phi and the susvara.

so at the end if i count all points i would give for these two headphones they would have quite the same overall points, the big phi wins on the technical side, the diana phi on ergonomics and easiness.

Oct 21, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #1,418 of 7,405
Great response, I'm starting to feel that way as well, Diana is so easy to wear, especially when you add a few Dekoni Nuggets (20 bucks on Amazon). I find them one of most comfortable headphones in my collection. My Diana PHIs are for sale with the hopes of funding a 1266 TC, but honestly, I've not even listened to the TC, so perhaps need to cool my jets and enjoy what I have. :) Either way, a great problem to have. Abyss headphones are amazing, I dare say, the best sounding cans I've ever heard/owned.

Oct 21, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #1,419 of 7,405
Great response, I'm starting to feel that way as well, Diana is so easy to wear, especially when you add a few Dekoni Nuggets (20 bucks on Amazon). I find them one of most comfortable headphones in my collection. My Diana PHIs are for sale with the hopes of funding a 1266 TC, but honestly, I've not even listened to the TC, so perhaps need to cool my jets and enjoy what I have. :) Either way, a great problem to have. Abyss headphones are amazing, I dare say, the best sounding cans I've ever heard/owned.

I have owned a diana phi and now own the TC. I can say that after listening to the TC there is no comparison it better in almost every way over the diana phi. The bass is more visceral, they are more resolving and the drivers are much faster. I would put the resolution at or above the level of the stax sr009s. The TC presents a much larger sound stage and they image incredibly well. The only area where the diana is better is that they are portable but toy still need a good amp to make them sound their best. If I want to listen away from my desk I still have my clears or use my sp1000cu and noble khans.

I know that some folks say the AB-1266 is not comfortable. But I find them to be pretty comfortable a enjoy the fit with no clamp. It is strange to go back to a traditional headphone after wearing them for a while. I will say that you need to find the right fit to have them sound their best too

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #1,420 of 7,405
having the 1266phi since 1 1/2 year and the diana phi since the beginning of the year i have to confess that i use the diana phi a lot more. when i would add all technicals points the 1266phi is the technical better performer, not in all classes but in most. i like the diana phi for the easy handling and the more intimate presentation, the diana phi is for me a tad more balanced over the whole fq chart. i often compare the big abyss to floor standing loudspeakers whereas the diana phi has a loudspeaker size that fits most rooms.

to be fair i know that i tend to like a refined a bit relaxed sound signature, so most headtime has the diana phi and the susvara.

so at the end if i count all points i would give for these two headphones they would have quite the same overall points, the big phi wins on the technical side, the diana phi on ergonomics and easiness.

I'd suggest you try the Phi TC...the speed, quickness and clarity was kicked up a few notches...to the point where they overtook the SR-009/009S.

Oct 21, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #1,423 of 7,405
Oct 21, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #1,424 of 7,405
Dam, you guys are killing me!!!! Now I HAVE to probably upgrade once again. I'm almost 100% headphones nowadays, just can't crank the Wilson WP6s at all hours. Wife and kids don't appreciate my music I guess.....

I used to listen to my speaker system 75% of the time...now I listen to my HP's almost exclusively....simply easier...my neighbors dont complain,my GF doesnt complain lol.......and to be honest my TC and other HP's are simply so good now

Oct 21, 2019 at 10:38 PM Post #1,425 of 7,405
I finally got to hear the Diana Phi (powered by a WA33) and got to go back and forth with an Abyss Phi TC and all I have to say is that I was in audio heaven! While the TC were clearly bigger sounding, the Diana Phi were simply glorious! After about 15 minutes going back and forth, I then switched over to a killer Stax setup (SR009 and SR009S powered by a Woo 3ES and in the end I'd clearly take the TC. I was surprised just how much more "stat-like" in terms of detail and quickness Joe was able to bring the Abyss AB1266 to. Throw in world class bass and clearly superior imaging, I was a bit surprised at just how much more I preferred the Phi TC.

Back to the Diana Phi, all I can say is WOW! Thanks to Woo Audio for bringing a great offering to the Toronto Audiofest this weekend!

I too got to hear the 1266 vs Diana set up on the Friday, then headed back on the Sunday to listen again. The Diana Phi is really not that far from the 1266.
Wthanks to Woo Audio...I think they got a kick out of seeing my 8 year old son with the Diana and me with the 1266.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back