Diana: the second release by Abyss Headphones!
Mar 24, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #888 of 7,405
Did anyone else at CanJam NYC have that "what were they thinking" reaction upon trying the Diana? I couldn't appreciate the sound because I found the earpads really uncomfortable; I mean, who has small square ears??

Mar 24, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #889 of 7,405
Did anyone else at CanJam NYC have that "what were they thinking" reaction upon trying the Diana? I couldn't appreciate the sound because I found the earpads really uncomfortable; I mean, who has small square ears??
The original ether had square ear pads on the inside if I remember correctly. Were the spaces just too small for you? It will be a few months until I can hear these and I'm genuinely curious whether they will suit my head and ears based on some of these comments.

I also have no idea what to expect with the sound. Theres been a lot of comments but no clear statements about how they sound imo. Are they more warmish, musical, or cold analytical, or just neutral. Are they restricted to any particular genre? Do they have bass and musicality for rock and hiphop or are they more precision based, delicate, metallic and are suited for classical music, light rock etc. I'm lost.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #890 of 7,405
The original ether had square ear pads on the inside if I remember correctly. Were the spaces just too small for you? It will be a few months until I can hear these and I'm genuinely curious whether they will suit my head and ears based on some of these comments.

I also have no idea what to expect with the sound. Theres been a lot of comments but no clear statements about how they sound imo. Are they more warmish, musical, or cold analytical, or just neutral. Are they restricted to any particular genre? Do they have bass and musicality for rock and hiphop or are they more precision based, delicate, metallic and are suited for classical music, light rock etc. I'm lost.
I owned the Ether Flow, and those earpads were not square but rather vertical-rectangular in shape. The Diana's pads, aside from being relatively shallow, felt as though they were folding the tops of my ears down. And btw, I have average-sized ears. As to the sound signature, I liked it a lot which is what made it so frustrating; I'd call it neutral tending toward musical.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #891 of 7,405
An example of compact earcup design that manages to be comfortable (or acceptably so) is the Campfire Audio Cascade (which I purchased at CanJam). In that case (again), it's rectangular in shape with deep pads.

Mar 24, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #892 of 7,405
Stupid question: if it was pressing down on the top or your ear, did you try clicking the headband up to the next notch?
Not sure why it's square-ish - one advantage is you can alter the sound a bit by moving the headphones back or forward - having the driver off-centre from your ear makes it sound a bit different.
I found I had a gap between my head and the earpad under my ear, but if I angle the headband toward the back of my head a bit, it goes away.

Mar 25, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #893 of 7,405
Stupid question: if it was pressing down on the top or your ear, did you try clicking the headband up to the next notch?
Not sure why it's square-ish - one advantage is you can alter the sound a bit by moving the headphones back or forward - having the driver off-centre from your ear makes it sound a bit different.
I found I had a gap between my head and the earpad under my ear, but if I angle the headband toward the back of my head a bit, it goes away.
I'm pretty sure I tried that and it must not have made much of a difference.

Mar 25, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #896 of 7,405

I appreciate you posting those links. But no offense, every one of those commentaries is almost useless to people like me. First, they’re cursory at best. And second, they mostly compare them to the Abyss Phi, which I’ve never heard. All I have right now is smooth treble but forward, intimate soundstage, and very transparent.

That’s pathetic for 60 pages of commentary on a headphone that retails for $3000.

Can someone speak up and give one actual full review???

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #897 of 7,405
My last 2 cents on Diana: I can think of a number of headphones that I might bite the bullet and pay 3K for. The Diana are not one of them.

Mar 25, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #899 of 7,405
I appreciate you posting those links. But no offense, every one of those commentaries is almost useless to people like me. First, they’re cursory at best. And second, they mostly compare them to the Abyss Phi, which I’ve never heard. All I have right now is smooth treble but forward, intimate soundstage, and very transparent.

That’s pathetic for 60 pages of commentary on a headphone that retails for $3000.

Can someone speak up and give one actual full review???

People are stating their experiences with the headphones. There were a couple of full reviews from my memory. What exactly do you want?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back